Be an Innovator with a Bachelor’s in Fashion
Are you passionate about clothing and textile design? Do you want to make waves in the fashion industry? By pursuing our bachelor’s degree in fashion, you’ll be able to turn your ambitions into a career. The world of fashion is exciting, innovative, and always changing. We want you to be on top of all that the fashion industry has to offer, so you can start a career in fashion with a fresh perspective.
You want to change the world through fashion, and we want to get you there. Start pursuing our Bachelor of Science in Fashion, and we can help equip you with the tools you need to be successful in this industry.
Why Choose Liberty’s Fashion Degree?
At Liberty, we believe that providing you with an education is more than just providing a great curriculum. Our goal is to give you the resources and experience you need to be successful in your field. While you’re studying with us, you’re going to learn from professors who have real-life experience in their fields. We are a teaching university and have ensured that the professors in the classroom with you each week are experts in the field they are teaching. They will also provide support and mentorship along your academic journey.
We want you to be prepared with experience outside of the classroom before you graduate! Our curriculum offers multiple hands-on opportunities including a semester-long internship and an annual fashion show where you can showcase your original designs.
What Will You Learn in Our Fashion Degree?
As you pursue our bachelor’s degree in fashion, you’re going to learn the foundational principles you need to succeed in the fashion industry. You’ll study textiles, family economic decisions, and family and individual resource management, as well as take a course on professional development to make sure you’re prepared to enter the workforce.
If you choose to pursue our fashion merchandising specialization, you’ll receive training in accounting, marketing, and economics, which will set you up for professional success. You’ll also be specifically prepped to work in fashion with courses on fashion markets and retail merchandising.
If you choose our fashion design specialization, you will focus on how to create your own original designs. Some of your coursework will include drawing, apparel, fashion and textile design, apparel illustration, draping for apparel design, and a history of costume.
Check out our featured courses below to learn more about what you’ll study!
FACS 320 – Textiles: Fibers and Fabrics
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Study of natural and synthetic fibers in addition to the manufacturing processes involved in the production of fabrics from raw to finished form for use in clothing and home furnishings
- Focus on identification of fabric construction and product performance
FACS 350 – Family Economic Decisions
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Theory and application of financial management principles related to the family throughout the life cycle
- Focus on an analysis of the relationship between family values and use of resources
FACS 403 – Professional Development
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Job search and interview strategies
- Resume and portfolio development
- Participation in professional association activities
FACS 455 – Family and Individual Resource Management
This course highlights the management of resources in balancing the multiple roles and responsibilities of family members, including the application of critical thinking to resolve issues, prioritize, and set goals
By choosing our Bachelor of Science in Fashion – Fashion Merchandising, you can receive the training and skill set you need to excel in the fashion industry.
- Visual Display Specialist
- Retail Manager
- Sales Representative
View the Degree Completion Plan.
Highlights of Our Fashion Degree
- Our Family and Consumer Sciences program ranked #1 in the state of Virginia.
- The required internship provides hands-on experience and potential job offers.
- Our on-campus clubs allow you to connect with other students and professionals in the field. The clubs include:
- Family and Child Development Association
- Interior Design Association
- Fashion Design and Merchandising Association
- Event Planning Society
- FACS Honor Society
- The annual Spring Fashion Show hosts over 1,400 guests.
- For the past three years, fashion students have been accepted to present designs at the International Textile and Apparel Association.
Fashion Degree Information
Career Opportunities for Fashion Graduates
- Visual display specialist
- Retail manager
- Sales representative
- Apparel designer
- Fashion illustrator
- Clothing constructionist
- Boutique entrepreneur
- Sample maker
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees
Every application is reviewed by the admission committee on a case-by-case basis, meaning there are no set minimums for acceptance. However, all applicants must submit the following documents* for admission:
- Admission application
- Official high school transcripts
- Official college transcripts (if applicable)
- SAT, ACT, or CLT scores (Liberty University is offering test-optional admission for Spring, Summer, and Fall 2021 applicants)
- Admission essay
*Note that additional documentation may be requested by the admission committee after your application has been received.