Take Your First Steps Toward a Career in Special Education with a Master of Arts in Teaching
Do you want to pursue a career in the special education field and become a licensed teacher? Whether you are currently a teacher, or you are looking to make a career change, Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) – Special Education online degree program will help you achieve your career goals. Our master’s in special education online degree program sets a clear path for you to obtain your initial teaching licensure.
With core courses in learning theory and behavior management, you will study education assessment and intervention, as well as build strategies for successful, inclusive classrooms. Our online special education degree will give you the tools you need to help students be successful in the classroom.
At Liberty University, we created our online special education M.A.T. degree program with your success in mind. Our program is designed to be completed in about two years and will allow you to continue to work while pursuing your master’s degree. Our goal is to support you as both a student and as a teaching professional. Additionally, Liberty University’s online teaching degree in special education allows you to pursue multiple areas of study. Many students choose to pursue a dual endorsement to expand their marketability. For more information, please see our career section at the bottom of the page.
Why Choose Liberty’s MAT in Special Education Online Degree Program?
Are you looking for a career that will help you impact today’s students with special needs? Liberty University’s 100% online special education program has been designed to help integrate your faith into your professional life. You will complete courses with cutting-edge techniques and information for teacher education that are also based in a Christian worldview, as well as complete student teaching to gain hands-on experience prior to graduation. At Liberty University, we strive to live out Christ-like characteristics and to use the power of faith and education to transform people and the world.
We don’t just train educators — we train educators who want to make a positive impact on the next generation. It’s who you are and who you aspire to become. We want to help you reach your goals, so we’re making a master’s degree more affordable. You can add to your skill set, broaden your professional capacity, and make a bigger impact on your students with an online graduate degree in education from Liberty University.
Additionally, the Master of Arts in Teaching – Special Education online degree program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation (CAEP).
At Liberty University, our special education online teaching degree prepares you professionally and spiritually. We teach our classes from a Christian worldview, and most of our courses are offered in an eight-week online format to give you the flexibility you need to work and pursue a master’s in special education simultaneously.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s of Special Education Online?
Becoming a special education teacher requires more than what you can find in textbooks. As a student studying special education, you will learn to teach lessons and provide intellectual stimulation, as well as how to care for and nurture your students emotionally, socially, and spiritually. Topics covered within this program include educational behavior and development, theories and methodologies of education, current trends in the education field, and methods of teaching with classroom management.
Each child is a unique individual created by God and becoming a special education teacher can help you teach them in a way that meets their needs. Therefore, our courses are taught from a Christian perspective by educators equipped with years of experience teaching in the field of special education. You will learn how to apply a biblical worldview to your classroom in Christian, private, public, or homeschool settings.
- EDUC 525 – Collaborating for Successful Transitions
- EDUC 571 – Curriculum Fundamentals
- EDUC 623 – Principles of Behavior Management
Benefits of an Online Special Education Teaching Degree
- By earning your M.A.T. in Special Education from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in the field.
While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we actually lowered our tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching program for the 2018-19 academic year. At $415 per credit hour for full time, Liberty University’s M.A.T. online is now available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the county.
- Pursuing our online Master of Arts in Teaching licensure-track may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- The School of Education is accredited by NCATE (National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) through CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation).
- You can achieve your state teaching licensure in less than two years.
- Because this is an online degree, you will have the opportunity to network with educators from across the country.
Masters of Arts in Teaching Degree Information and Requirements
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires a background check.
- Students will complete a semester of student teaching/internship in most states.
- This program will help you achieve your initial teaching licensure.
- Our program is eligible for certification through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
Master of Arts in Teaching Special Education Helpful Links and Information
Review the State Specific Approval Disclosures.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- The discounted tuition rate of $275 per credit hour at part-time
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Eight-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times
What Career Can You Pursue with a Master of Arts in Teaching Special Education?
- The Special Education MAT program is designed to provide the training needed to help you find opportunities to teach special education in the classroom as a licensed teacher!
- Students may also choose to pursue a dual endorsement. By taking a few extra courses, students can graduate with licensure in special education and another endorsement area, such as elementary education, middle grades, or secondary education. For more information about dual endorsements, please contact one of our admissions counselors at (800) 424-9596.
Admission Requirements for Online Graduate Certificate Programs
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.