Prepare for a Rewarding Career Providing Individualized Education for Young Minds
Teaching young children is a rewarding career that can return much more than a paycheck. Take your passion for teaching and help fill the critical shortage of special education teachers in the United States. Our Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) in Special Education – Early Childhood Education degree can help set you on a path to obtain your initial teaching licensure and get an additional specialization in early childhood education. However, if you are already a teacher and looking to make a career change, then this degree has the training you need as well.
With core courses in learning theory and behavior management, you will study education assessment and intervention. Our online master’s degree in special education will give you the tools you need to support and provide for families of young children with unique learning needs.
Additionally, Liberty University’s online teaching degree in early childhood special education will develop your skills in teaching preschool subjects to students with physical or learning disabilities. You will learn to teach basic academic and life process skills to young children who can greatly benefit from a devoted teacher.
At Liberty University, we created our online M.A.T. in special education degree program with your success in mind. Our program is designed to be completed in as little as 1.5 years and will allow you to continue to work while earning your master’s degree. Our goal is to support you as both a student and a teaching professional.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Master of Arts in Teaching program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
Why Choose Liberty’s M.A.T. in Special Education – Early Childhood Education Program?
Do you love being around children? If you find it easy to communicate your thoughts, and you want to help children with special needs, then our early childhood education specialization will be the perfect addition to your special education degree. If you’re interested in becoming a special ed. teacher in an in-demand area, we can help you!
- Liberty’s M.A.T. degree in special education can give you the training you need. Our program focuses on more than preparing you for teacher licensure — we train educators who want to help students learn and grow. It’s who you are and who you aspire to become.
- At Liberty University, we strive to use the power of faith and education to transform people and the world. When reviewing special education master’s programs online, we know that you want to find a program that fits your values. Our 100% online special education program is designed to help integrate biblical principles into your professional life.
- You will complete courses taught from a Christian worldview with cutting-edge techniques and information for teacher education. Plus, you’ll complete student teaching to gain hands-on experience prior to graduation.
- The Master of Arts in Teaching – Special Education online degree program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation (CAEP).
- Our early childhood specialization will enhance your special education degree and prepare you to teach developing young minds at an individualized level.
We want to help you reach your goals, so we’re making a master’s degree more flexible and affordable. Most of our courses are offered in an 8-week online format to allow you to work and earn your degree at the same time. You can add to your skill set, broaden your professional capacity, and make a bigger impact on your students with an online graduate degree in education from Liberty University.
What Will You Learn in Our M.A.T. in Special Education Online Degree?
Becoming a special education teacher requires more than what you can find in textbooks. Through your special education classes, you will learn to teach lessons and provide intellectual stimulation for special needs students. This program trains you on the best approaches to education topics for younger children with disabilities. You will learn how to diagnose various disabilities and work with the families of children with disabilities. This includes autism and developmental challenges.
Our early childhood specialization focuses on the effects of environment on learning and childhood development and how to support the growth of young children in and out of learning environments. Diagnosing and developing interventions and focused programs for children of varying disabilities and learning challenges will be a core focus.
You will also learn how to care for and nurture your students emotionally, socially, and spiritually. You will study educational behavior and development, theories and methodologies of education, current trends in the education field, and methods of teaching with classroom management.
Each child is a unique individual created by God. Becoming a special education teacher can help you teach them in a way that meets their needs. Therefore, our courses are taught from a Christian perspective by educators equipped with years of experience teaching in the field of special education. You will learn how to apply a biblical worldview to your classroom in Christian, private, public, or homeschool settings.
- EDSP 519 – Characteristics and Medical Aspects of Severe Disabilities*
- EDSP 522 – Special Education and Disability Law*
- EDSP 534 – Individualized Programming and Curriculum*
- EDUC 670 – Curriculum and Methods for Early Childhood
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our Master’s in Special Education Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online M.A.T. in Special Education degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have lowered tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students (at least 9 hours per semester), Liberty University’s M.A.T. online is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- Pursuing our online Master of Arts in Teaching licensure track may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- The School of Education is accredited by NCATE, the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, through CAEP, the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation.
- Because this is an online degree, you will have the opportunity to network with educators from across the country.
- Through this program, you can be eligible for certification through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
M.A.T. in Special Education Degree Information
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires a background check.
- Students will complete a semester of student teaching/internship in most states.
- This program will help you achieve your initial teaching licensure.
- Review state-specific state requirements.
- Review the State-Specific Approval Disclosures.
- Additional program details are available in the Online Graduate Advising Guide.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- The discounted tuition rate of $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login
What Careers Can You Pursue with a M.A.T. Early Childhood Education Online Special Education Degree?
- Early childhood special educator
- Family support specialist
- General curriculum special education teacher
- Home-based service provider
The special education M.A.T. program is designed to provide the training needed to help you find opportunities to teach special education in the classroom as a licensed teacher!
Admission Requirements for the Master of Arts in Teaching Special Education
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.