Why Choose Liberty University’s School of Education for Your Doctoral Degree Program?
Do you want to reach the pinnacle of achievement in education studies? If you’re an education professional with experience in the field, a doctorate can help you set out in a new direction or build on your current success with new skills and advanced scholarship. You can grow your career and make a more significant impact on the future with an online doctorate in education from Liberty University!
Our practical online EdD programs and PhDs in education can help you acquire the knowledge, skills, and training you need to lead students and academic institutions successfully. Because Liberty is an accredited Christian university, you can pair your passion for education with a Christ-centered program that will prepare you for leadership that doesn’t compromise your values.
Whether you are preparing to be an expert in education law, develop advanced teaching studies, or want to teach at the college level, you will find the tools you need to be successful in the field. While earning your PhD or EdD online with Liberty University, you will be mentored by our faculty of education professionals who have real-world experience. Our doctoral degree programs are 100% online, allowing you to pursue your professional activities and spend time with your family while earning your degree.
If you have any questions, please contact an admissions counselor at (800) 424-9596!
Be a Leader in Education with a Doctoral Degree from
Liberty University’s School of Education offers the following doctoral degrees:
Liberty’s Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) online programs are designed to prepare effective leaders with a biblical worldview who will model high academic standards of scholarship and teaching practice through leadership roles in the field of education. With its practical emphasis, Liberty University’s EdD is designed for educators who need new skills for the education field.
Liberty’s 100% online PhD in Advanced Educational Studies degree programs are designed to provide post-EdD graduates with an accelerated path to advanced research studies and a PhD dissertation.
Liberty’s 100% online PhD in Education degree programs are designed to provide the training you need to work in top leadership positions within education and academia. The PhD in Education is Liberty University’s premier education studies program for advanced scholarship in K-12 education.
Liberty’s online PhD in Higher Education Administration is designed to prepare competent researchers and effective leaders with a biblical worldview who will model excellent scholarship and academic administration in leadership roles in higher education. The PhD in Higher Education online track provides the highest level of academic scholarship in education studies. This program is designed to equip educators for college and university-level teaching. It offers 2 specialized academic tracks, which allow you to gain specific knowledge in an area you’re most passionate about.
Liberty University’s 100% online PhD in Educational Leadership degree program will help you gain valuable communication and problem-solving skills based on empirical research to lead your students, faculty, and staff to success.
We Also Offer Executive Certificates
Not sure if you are ready to commit to a 60-credit-hour doctoral program? An Executive Certificate may be the path for you. You will complete the same doctoral-level coursework but on a much faster, 21-credit-hour track. This format can help you test the waters and see if a full PhD, EdS, or EdD is the best option for you.
- Executive Certificate in Curriculum and Instruction – This certificate can help you gain a valuable professional credential while also equipping you to enroll in our EdS in Curriculum and Instruction. If you choose to pursue a full degree after completing your certificate, all 21 credit hours of the certificate can transfer into the EdS.
- Executive Certificate in Higher Education Administration – With this certificate, you can build on your previous education and experience to develop vital skills while working toward our EdS or PhD in Higher Education Administration. All 21 credit hours of this certificate can transfer to the EdS or PhD.
- Executive Certificate in Instructional Design and Technology — This certificate builds on your education experience to help you develop advanced learning tools, curriculum, and training while preparing you for our PhD in Education — Instructional Design and Technology. All 21 credit hours of this certificate will transfer to this PhD track.
- Executive Certificate in School Administration and Supervision – This certificate can help you pursue the credentials you need to further your career while preparing you for our EdS or EdD in Administration and Supervision – Educational Leadership. All 21 credit hours of this certificate can transfer into the EdS or EdD.
- Executive Certificate in Special Education — With this certificate, you will work towards a postgraduate credential while preparing specifically for our PhD in Education – Special Education. If you choose to pursue this PhD after completing your certificate, all 21 credit hours will be transferred into the PhD.
Frequently Asked Questions
While researching education doctoral programs at Liberty University, you may have questions about how our degrees can help you meet your career goals. Below are some common questions about Liberty University’s online EdD and PhD programs:
What is the difference between an EdD vs. a PhD in Education?
An EdD from Liberty University will have many overlapping benefits with a PhD program. Still, the most important differences lie in each program’s focus for either finding new ways to apply currently available research or developing new approaches with innovative research projects. Liberty’s EdD degree includes advanced research and writing that will help you demonstrate your experience and mastery of learning theory. However, the PhD’s dissertation project emphasizes the development of new, groundbreaking research in the field of education.
With these differences in focus, EdD students tend to go on to pursue roles that are more focused on the practice of teaching, and PhD students tend to go on to roles in academic research and scholarship.
What can I do with a PhD in Education?
As the highest level of academic scholarship, a PhD can open many doors to academic roles and the latest research. If you want to focus your studies toward the end goal of becoming a leader in the field of academic educational studies, earning your PhD can help you get there. Graduates of Liberty University’s PhD in Education or PhD in Higher Education are well-equipped to pursue roles as:
- Curriculum coordinators
- Education policymakers
- Education research designers
- Higher education or K-12 administrators
- Research scholars
- University professors
Any role that requires advanced education expertise and excellent research skills will benefit from the practical training and scholarship in Liberty University’s PhD in Education programs.
Do you need a PhD to be a professor?
Both EdD and PhD graduates are qualified to teach at the college level. A PhD may, in some cases, fit better with a university’s specific needs for faculty research. At the same time, an EdD graduate may be better equipped with curriculum development or teaching practice to cover educator training. There is a place for both EdD and PhD graduates in the college setting.
What Are the Benefits of an Online Doctoral Degree from Liberty University?
Our online doctoral degree programs offer students great benefits:
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 7 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Our education degrees are offered in 8-week course formats, with 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times!
- All of our School of Education initial and advanced licensure programs are accredited by NCATE (National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) standards through the CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation) Accreditation System.
- Our students have the ability to join Kappa Delta Pi (KDP), which is an international honor society in education, to promote excellence in future professionals and recognize outstanding contributions made to education.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate EdD courses
- Executive Certificate tuition discount – $300 per credit hour
- Are you pursuing one of our PhD programs? Find out how you can earn a PhD for only $300 per credit hour
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per EdD course*)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*First Responder Discount cannot be combined with Liberty’s military discount for Ph.D. programs.