Help Build a Better Future for Students with Special Needs with Liberty’s M.A.T. in Special Education – Adapted Curriculum
Do you have a passion for helping students with disabilities or special needs adapt to the challenges of education? You can have a rewarding career helping students with special needs attain their best futures with Liberty’s Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) in Special Education – Adapted Curriculum.
To meet rigorous state requirements and ensure you are well-prepared for the special needs classroom, you need a way to pursue multiple tracks or cover missing content competencies all in one degree. With the adapted curriculum add-on endorsement, your Master of Arts in Teaching – Special Education will provide you with specially designed core content that aligns with the following advanced standards:
- Council of Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Interstate Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (InTASC) Model Core Teaching
- Virginia Department of Education for Special Education Adapted Curriculum K-12
These additional standards can help you stand out as an expert in special education teaching, and the cutting-edge skills you learn can help you become ready to meet the challenges of the field.
Liberty’s M.A.T. in Special Education Adapted Curriculum will provide you with training on current research, resources, and best practices so you can educate and care for students with more significant disabilities. With in-class experience in your area and optional on-campus intensives, you will have the hands-on training and critical teaching knowledge you’ll need to be successful in your future classroom.
Why Choose Liberty’s M.A.T. in Special Education – Adapted Curriculum Degree Program?
By earning your M.A.T. in Special Education, you are preparing for a rewarding career in a field desperate for qualified, effective teachers. Through this program, you can earn a teaching license in special education with an add-on endorsement in Career and Technical Education (CTE) Transition and Special Needs. This credential can help you meet new standards for special education and set you apart as an expert in special needs transition methods.
At Liberty University, we don’t just train educators — we train educators who want to make a positive impact on the next generation. The well-being of your students with special needs and their families matters, so you will learn to evaluate education theory from a biblical worldview. By integrating special education skills with Christian principles, you’ll learn to confidently address the educational, emotional, and spiritual needs of your students.
Empowering teachers to succeed is important. So at Liberty, you can earn your M.A.T. degree at only $415 per credit hour. With our online format, this special rate makes the M.A.T. one of our most flexible and affordable master’s programs.
Liberty’s School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). This means that your online education also meets rigorous standards for teacher training education. With excellent and affordable online education, Liberty’s online M.A.T. in Special Education will help you meet licensure requirements and set you up for success in your teaching career.
What Will You Learn in Our M.A.T. in Special Education – Adapted Curriculum?
As a student studying special education, you will learn how to provide individualized education support and care for students with significant disabilities. You will learn to create lesson plans and provide intellectual stimulation for students with special needs while encouraging growth. Topics covered within this program include educational behavior and development, theories and methodologies of education, current trends in the education field, methods of teaching, and classroom management. You will also learn how to make decisions about student progress, instruction, program, placement, and transitional services.
The adapted curriculum specialization will provide you with additional in-depth studies in individualized transition planning. These courses include an investigation of the medical, social, and employment challenges for students with severe disabilities as well as the best methods to assess and prepare students for transition into daily independent living.
Here are some of the specific subjects you will study throughout your program:
- Educational behavior and development
- Theories and methodologies of education
- Current trends in the education field
- Methods of teaching and classroom management
- EDUC 504 – Educational Philosophy and Theories of Learning
- EDSP 519 – Characteristics and Medical Aspects of Severe Disabilities*
- EDSP 525 – Transition and Assessment for Exceptional Learners*
- EDSP 529 – Employment, Community, and Independent Living*
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our Master’s in Special Education Degree
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have lowered tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students (at least 9 hours per semester), Liberty University’s M.A.T. online is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- Pursuing our online Master of Arts in Teaching licensure-track may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- Liberty’s School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- You can achieve your state teaching licensure in as little as 1.5 years.
- Because this is an online degree, you will have the opportunity to network with educators from across the country.
M.A.T. in Special Education Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and explore the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires a background check.
- Students will complete two 16-week practicum placements and one 16-week student teaching.
- This program will help you achieve your initial teaching licensure.
- Completing this program can make you eligible to seek certification through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- Review state-specific state requirements.
- Review the State-Specific Approval Disclosures.
- Additional program details are available in the Online Graduate Advising Guide.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- The discounted tuition rate of $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Career Opportunities for M.A.T. in Special Education – Adapted Curriculum Graduates
- K-12 curriculum developer and manager
- Licensed special education teacher
- Teaching product developer
Admission Requirements for Online Graduate Programs
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.