Initial Licensure Exams
Candidates who are interested in a teaching or advanced state license must complete a program approved by the Virginia Department of Education. To be eligible for verification forms for other states, the licensure office must verify that candidates have completed one of our approved licensure programs. Programs that lead to licensure will involve coursework, licensure tests, and student teaching or internship.
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators
- Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA)
- Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE)
- Praxis Subject Assessment
- Additional Test Support and Tutoring
- Documenting Test Scores
Tests may vary per program. Please see program pages for requirements.
To locate available testing centers and register, please visit the Praxis testing site.
Reading Assessment Options
- ACT – Reading (Score: 21, taken prior to April 1, 1995)
- ACT – Reading (Score: 22, taken after April 1, 1995)
- SAT – Critical Reading (Score: 450, taken prior to April 1, 1995)
- SAT – Critical Reading (Score: 530, taken April 1, 1995 – February 2016)
- SAT – Evidenced-Based Reading and Writing (Score: 580, taken March 2016 or later)
- Praxis Core – Reading – Test Code 5712 (Score: 168)
- Praxis Core – Reading – Test Code 5713 (Score: 168)
- GRE – Verbal Reasoning (Score: 151, taken August 2011 or later)
Writing Assessment Options
- Praxis Core – Writing – Test Code 5722 (Score: 165)
- Praxis Core – Writing – Test Code 5723 (Score: 165)
Mathematics Assessment Options
- ACT – Math (Score: 21, taken prior to April 1, 1995)
- ACT – Math (Score: 22, taken April 1, 1995 or later)
- SAT – Math (Score: 510, taken prior to April 1, 1995)
- SAT – Math (Score: 530, taken April 1, 1995 – February 2016)
- SAT – Math (Score: 560, taken March 2016 or later)
- Praxis Core – Mathematics – Test Code 5732 (Score: 162)
- Praxis Core – Mathematics – Test Code 5733 (Score: 175)
- GRE – Quantitative Reasoning (Score: 153, taken August 2011 or later)
Study Resources for Praxis Core
- Jerry Falwell Library
- Click on “Testing and Educational Reference Center” (under Education on the Liberty E-book Resources)
- Select “Online Practice Tests and Courses” (far right toward the bottom of the page)
- Click “Praxis Core” (under Teaching)
- Khan Academy Official Praxis Core Prep
- Study Guide Zone
- Test Prep Review
- Core Math Made Easy
- Praxis Core Math Live-Online Prep Course (Discount code: TEACH to receive 50% off course price)
To locate available testing centers and register, please visit www.va.nesinc.com/.
- Required Composite Score: 470
Study Resources for VCLA
To locate available testing centers and register, please visit www.ets.org/praxis.
The RVE is not required for MAT: Middle Grades or MAT: Secondary Education candidates.
- Required Composite Score: 157
- RVE (paper-based): 0306
- RVE (computer-based): 5306
Study Resources for RVE
- Complete reading methods course prior to the test
- Undergraduate: EDUC 317/318/319
- Graduate: EDUC 554
- ETS Study Materials
- Review the booklet Put Reading First
- DVDs of Put Reading First are also on reserve in the Curriculum Library. Students may view these videos in the Curriculum Library.
To locate available testing centers and to register, please visit the Praxis testing site. The following tests and composite scores are required for the endorsement (teaching specialist) areas as indicated.
Not all Praxis Subject Assessments are available in a computer-based format, so be sure to plan ahead.
Required Passing Scores
- Praxis Subject Assessments (Specific to each endorsement area)
Study Resources for Praxis Subject Assessment
- Accommodations Related to a Documented Disability: If you have a documented disability and think you may need special accommodations to complete the required test(s), please see the individual testing pages and/or contact the Liberty University Office of Disability and Accommodation Support (ODAS) for more information.
- Math Courses (for further support and practice)
- MATH 100/MATH 100L*
- MATH 110/MATH 110L*
- *Optional companion labs may be taken concurrently with MATH 100 and MATH 110. Each lab will provide weekly live online sessions with a math instructor. During this time, candidates will be able to walk through examples, receive additional instruction through live synchronous sessions, and have the opportunity to ask questions with immediate answers (similar to being in a classroom).
- Online Writing Center
- Writing Services
- Sylvan Learning Tutoring (Available for both residential and online students)
- Email Sylvan Learning at email@example.com for additional information
- Tutor.com Resources (Available for online students only)
It is recommended that candidates list Liberty University as a score recipient on licensure tests. Even though test scores may be sent to Liberty University electronically from the testing company, the candidates are also responsible for printing and storing records of the official score sheets. Official score sheets must be submitted by the candidate as a scanned copy at various Gates. A hard copy of the official score sheets must be submitted by the candidate to the Liberty University Teacher Licensure Office for Gate 4 paperwork.
For additional test score documentation assistance:
- Praxis (Core, RVE, Subject Assessment)
- When LU is not available as a score recipient, candidates are the primary score recipient and are responsible for attaching the official score report directly to their Gate(s) applications.
View more information about licensure assessments from the Virginia Department of Education.