Initial Licensure Exams
Candidates who are interested in a teaching or advanced state license must complete a program approved by the Virginia Department of Education. To be eligible for verification forms for other states, the licensure office must verify that candidates have completed one of our approved licensure programs. Programs that lead to licensure will involve coursework, licensure tests, and student teaching or internship.
- Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA)
- Praxis: Teaching Reading
- Praxis: Subject Assessment
- Additional Test Support and Tutoring
For information on documenting test scores, visit the Licensure Resource Community.
Tests may vary per program. Please see program pages for requirements.
The School of Education’s Residential Teacher Education Programs, Online B.Ed. Teacher Education Programs, and Graduate Master of Arts in Teaching Programs are designed to lead to initial licensure as outlined by the Virginia Department of Education, which entails several testing components to align with accountability measures and agencies.
- Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) requires Education Preparation Programs (EPPs) to obtain accreditation through CAEP as one component of maintaining State approval.
- School of Education (SOE) strives for additional program approvals/reviews to maintain rigor in the specific endorsement fields.
- The Special Education Programs strive toward the Professional Preparation Standards outlined by the Council for Exceptional Children for specialized professional association program review.
To locate available testing centers and register, please visit www.va.nesinc.com/.
The VCLA is required for all initial licensure candidates.
- Required Composite Score: 470
- Reading and Writing Subtests required.
To locate available testing centers and register, please visit www.ets.org/praxis.
The Praxis: Teaching Reading: Elementary is only required for Elementary Education and Special Education: General Curriculum candidates.
- Required Composite Score: 159
- Praxis Teaching Reading (computer-based): 5205
To locate available testing centers and to register, please visit the Praxis testing site. The following tests and composite scores are required for the endorsement (teaching specialist) areas as indicated. Not all Praxis Subject Assessments are available in a computer-based format, so be sure to plan ahead.
The Praxis Subject Assessment is required for all initial licensure candidates.
Required Passing Scores
- Praxis Subject Assessments (Specific to each endorsement area)
- Accommodations Related to a Documented Disability: If you have a documented disability and think you may need special accommodations to complete the required test(s), please see the individual testing pages and/or contact the Liberty University Office of Disability and Accommodation Support (ODAS) for more information.
- Math Courses (for further support and practice)
- MATH 100/MATH 100L*
- MATH 110/MATH 110L*
- *Optional companion labs may be taken concurrently with MATH 100 and MATH 110. Each lab will provide weekly live online sessions with a math instructor. During this time, candidates will be able to walk through examples, receive additional instruction through live synchronous sessions, and have the opportunity to ask questions with immediate answers (similar to being in a classroom).
- Online Writing Center
- Writing Services
- Sylvan Learning Tutoring (Available for both residential and online students)
- Email Sylvan Learning at email@example.com for additional information
- Tutor.com Resources (Available for online students only)
To view additional study resources, visit the Licensure Resource Community.
View more information about licensure assessments from the Virginia Department of Education.