Mentor Students with Special Needs with a Special Education Degree Online from Liberty University
Do you have a desire to reach those with special needs? Maybe you’d like to take the next step in your teaching career by earning a license, or perhaps you are just getting started in this exciting field. With a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) in Special Education – Early Childhood Special Education and General Curriculum from Liberty, you can get the credentials you need to pursue your goals.
You want more than an education – you want to make an impact. At Liberty, we offer a training ground for developing strong leaders and an unmatched dedication to your success. With both early childhood and general curriculum endorsements, you can prepare to work with children with special needs of all ages – from their early years through 12th grade.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Master of Arts in Teaching program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Special Education Degree?
We know that you are passionate about serving children with special needs – and we also know that you may have other commitments that prevent you from attending courses in person. That’s why at Liberty, our masters in special education program is 100% online with no set login times, which means that you can complete all of your practicums and student teaching at an approved school near you!
We believe that you shouldn’t have to sacrifice quality for flexibility – and at Liberty, you don’t have to. Liberty is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). In addition, all of our School of Education initial and advanced licensure programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). As you complete your masters in special education online at Liberty, you can be confident that you are receiving a world-class education.
Throughout your online special education degree program, you’ll find that our courses are taught by knowledgeable professors who have years of experience and advanced degrees to match. You’ll have the opportunity to study under faculty who are dedicated to your success – from your first day of class to graduation.
What Will You Learn in Liberty’s Online MAT in Early Childhood and General Curriculum Degree?
In our master’s degree in special education, you will take a wide variety of courses that are designed to help you serve children of all ages. Some of the topics covered in this degree include curriculum and methods for early childhood education, characteristics and medical aspects of severe disabilities, and individualized programming and curriculum.
Additionally, you will dive into topics like transition and assessment for exceptional learners, reading and language acquisition, and principles of behavior management. One of the hallmarks of our masters in early childhood special education is the opportunity to gain field experience through practicums and student teaching – which you can complete at an approved location near you! When paired with a degree from Liberty, field experience can help set you apart from other job candidates.
- EDSP 522 – Special Education and Disability Law
- EDSP 524 – Collaborating for Successful Inclusive Classrooms
- EDSP 525 – Transition and Assessment for Exceptional Learners
- EDUC 651 – Language and Literacy for Diverse Learners
Highlights of Our Online Special Education Master’s Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online MAT in Special Education degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have lowered our tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching program. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students, Liberty University’s MAT online is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- All of our School of Education initial and advanced licensure programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- Pursuing our online Master of Arts in Teaching licensure track may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- Liberty’s special education college program is designed so that you can earn your degree from the comfort of home.
Master’s in Special Education Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan (coming soon).
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires a background check.
- Complete at least 90 practicum hours and at least 2 full semesters of student teaching prior to graduation.
- This program can help you achieve your initial teaching licensure.
- Upon completion of an eligible Graduate Education program, you may be eligible for certification through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- Review the State-Specific Approval Disclosures.
Military Benefits for Our Online Master of Arts in Teaching Programs
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of an online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for Master’s in Special Education Graduates
As a graduate of our special education teacher training program, you may be better prepared to pursue a variety of positions, such as:
- Curriculum developer
- Early childhood special education teacher
- Educational consultant
- School curriculum/individualized education plan (IEP) coordinator
- Special education teacher
- Support worker
Admission Requirements for Our Master of Arts in Teaching – Early Childhood Special Education and General Curriculum
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.