When autocomplete options are available, use up and down arrows to review and enter to select.
Apply Give

Consumer Information: State Approval Disclosures

According to the U.S. Department of Education, “State authorization is a longstanding requirement in the Higher Education Act that requires institutions to be authorized in the state in which they are located as a condition for eligibility to receive Title IV Federal student aid.” States authorize institutions that are located within its borders, as well as institutions that are located elsewhere but offer educational activities within its borders. On October 17, 2014, the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) approved Virginia as a member state to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). Liberty University is an institutional participant in the NC-SARA initiative allowing Liberty University’s programs to be available to students who reside in 49 participating states. At present, California is the only U.S. state to have not yet joined NC-SARA.



  • M.A. Addiction Counseling: While the Master of Arts in Addiction Counseling offered by Liberty University is intended to lead to licensure as an addiction counselor, the State of Arkansas may have additional course requirements and supervised experience in order to earn an Arkansas license. Please check the website for information on Arkansas licensure: http://www.sbeadac.org/index.html.
  • M.Ed. School Counseling: The Master of Education in School Counseling offered by Liberty University requires the student to pursue teacher/administrator licensure in Virginia and then earn an Arkansas educator or school administrator license by reciprocity. Please note that the State of Arkansas has additional course requirements in order to earn an Arkansas license in the program area or a similar program area. Please check the website for information on Arkansas reciprocity: http://dese.ade.arkansas.gov/divisions/educator%20effectiveness/educator-licensure/licensure-by-reciprocity


  • For students enrolled in the Master of Education in School Counseling offered by Liberty University, the State of Kentucky has additional course requirements in order to earn a Kentucky license in the program area or a similar program area. Upon completion of the M.Ed. in School Counseling program, a student can be recommended for a “provisional” license in Kentucky. In order to advance to a “standard” license, a student must complete 3 additional credit hours related to counseling. An additional 3 hours (6 hours total) may be completed as well. Since the student would have completed the state approved program, they may re-enroll through Liberty University as a “Special (non-degree seeking) student”. If a student holds a bachelor’s degree and completes 32 additional credit hours, Liberty may complete paperwork to recommend that the student move to “Rank 2” (“Planned 5th Year Program”) in pay with Kentucky. If a student holds a Master’s degree and completes 30 additional credit hours, Liberty may complete paperwork to recommend that the student move to “Rank 1” (“Planned 6th Year Program”) in pay with Kentucky. Specific paperwork can be found here: http://www.epsb.ky.gov/.


  • In accordance with NRS 394.441 Liberty University is making Nevada students, enrolled in the online Bachelor of Aviation degree program, aware of the Account for Student Indemnification created in the Nevada State General Fund. Under NRS 394.553 if a student suffers damage due to any of the following reasons, the Account may be used to indemnify them: a) The discontinuation of operation of a postsecondary education institution licensed in the State of Nevada; or b) The violation by a postsecondary educational institution of any provision of NRS 394.383 to 394.560, inclusive, or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto.  If a student or enrollee is entitled to indemnification from a surety bond pursuant to NRS 394.480, the bond must be used to indemnify the student or enrollee before any money in the Account may be used for indemnification.

New York

  • Due to New York state regulations, the School of Nursing is unable to accept New York residents into the Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner degree program as well as the Post Graduate PMHNP certificate until further notice. Additionally, students are not permitted to complete Post-BSN DNP/FNP clinical hours in the state of New York. However, students are permitted to take residential courses at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA, and complete their clinical hours in Virginia. Any questions regarding this disclaimer or the nursing programs should be directed to Shirley Lee at sklee@liberty.edu or (434) 582-2507.


  • Liberty University is authorized by the Washington Student Achievement Council and meets the requirements and minimum educational standards established for degree-granting institutions under the Degree-Granting Institutions Act. This authorization is subject to periodic review and authorizes Liberty University to offer specific degree programs. The Council may be contacted for a list of currently authorized programs. Authorization by the Council does not carry with it an endorsement by the Council of the institution or its programs. Any person desiring information about the requirements of the act or the applicability of those requirements to the institution may contact the Council at P.O. Box 43430, Olympia, WA 98504-3430.
  • The transferability of credits earned at Liberty University is at the discretion of the receiving college, university, or other educational institution. Students considering transferring to any institution should not assume that credits earned in any program of study at Liberty University will be accepted by the receiving institution. Similarly, the ability of a degree, certificate, diploma, or other academic credential earned at Liberty University to satisfy an admission requirement of another institution is at the discretion of the receiving institution. Accreditation does not guarantee credentials or credits earned at Liberty University will be accepted by or transferred to another institution. To minimize the risk of having to repeat coursework, students should contact the receiving institution in advance for evaluation and determination of transferability of credits and/or acceptability of degrees, diplomas, or certificates earned.

Professional Licensing Boards

Institutions are required to meet program standards associated with professional licensing boards for states in which students are engaging in associated educational activities. The Office of State Approvals is dedicated to researching regulations, seeking and maintaining program approvals when required.

Information concerning student licensure for the School of Behavioral Science, School of Education, and the School of Nursing can be found at the following links:

School of Behavioral Science: 


School of Education:


School of Nursing: