Help Special Needs Students Grow with Liberty’s Master of Arts in Teaching – Special Education
Do you want to make a difference in the lives of special needs children? Being a special needs teacher is rewarding. You can learn the full range of essential skills you need to make it your career with Liberty’s Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) in Special Education – General Curriculum. Empowering teachers to succeed is important. So at Liberty, you can earn your M.A.T. degree for less than at many other online schools — at only $415 per credit hour. With our online format, this special rate makes the M.A.T. one of our most flexible and affordable master’s programs.
To meet rigorous state requirements and ensure you are well-prepared for the special needs classroom, you need a way to pursue multiple tracks or cover missing content competencies all in one degree. Liberty’s online Master of Arts in Teaching – Special Education General Curriculum track is designed to help you achieve your career goals by meeting the exact needs of your licensure track content requirements for special education.
You can complete Liberty’s online M.A.T. in Special Education in as little as 1.5 years, allowing you to get into the classroom in less time than many traditional teaching programs. With in-class experience in your area and optional on-campus intensives, you will have the hands-on training and critical teaching knowledge you’ll need to be confident in your future classroom. You can learn how to provide individualized education, support, and care for students with more mild disabilities with Liberty’s M.A.T. in Special Education.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Master of Arts in Teaching program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
Why Choose Liberty’s M.A.T. in Special Education – General Curriculum Degree Program?
By earning your M.A.T. in Special Education, you are preparing for a rewarding career in a field desperate for qualified, effective teachers. Through this program, you can earn a teaching license in special education general curriculum while studying under professors who understand your passion and can mentor you throughout your degree.
At Liberty University, we don’t just train educators — we train educators who want to make a positive impact on the next generation. The well-being of your special needs students and their families matters, so here you can learn to evaluate education theory from a biblical worldview. By integrating special education skills with a biblical worldview, you’ll learn to confidently address students’ educational, emotional, and spiritual needs.
Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). With excellent and affordable online education, Liberty’s online M.A.T. in Special Education will help you meet licensure requirements and set you up for success in your teaching career.
What Will You Learn in Our M.A.T. in Special Education Degree?
As a student studying special education, you can learn how to provide individualized education support and care for students with mild disabilities. You can learn to create lesson plans and provide intellectual stimulation for special needs students while encouraging growth. Topics covered within this program include educational behavior and development, theories and methodologies of education, current trends in the education field, and methods of teaching with classroom management. You will also learn how to make decisions about student progress, instruction, program, placement, and transitional services.
Our courses are taught from a Christian perspective by educators equipped with years of experience teaching in the field of special education. You can learn how to apply a biblical worldview to your classroom in Christian, private, public, or homeschool settings.
Here are some of the specific subjects you will study throughout your program:
- Educational behavior and development
- Theories and methodologies of education
- Current trends in the education field
- Methods of teaching and classroom management
- EDLC 504 – Educational Philosophy and Theories of Learning
- EDLC 571 – Curriculum Fundamentals
- EDSP 524 – Collaborating for Successful Inclusive Classrooms
- EDSP 525 – Transition and Assessment for Exceptional Learners
Highlights of Our Master’s in Special Education Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have lowered tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students (at least 9 hours per semester), Liberty University’s M.A.T. online is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- Pursuing our online Master of Arts in Teaching licensure-track may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- Because this is an online degree, you will have the opportunity to network with educators from across the country.
- Gain real-world experience with hands-on student teaching and practicums.
Master of Arts in Teaching Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and explore the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires a background check.
- Students will complete two 16-week practicum placements and one 16-week student teaching/internship.
- This program will help you achieve your initial teaching licensure.
- Our program can help you be eligible to seek certification through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- Review state-specific state requirements.
- Review the State-Specific Approval Disclosures.
- Additional program details are available in the Online Graduate Advising Guide.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- The discounted tuition rate of $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Career Opportunities for M.A.T. in Special Education – General Curriculum Graduates
- K-12 curriculum developer and manager
- Licensed special education teacher
- Teaching product developer
Admission Requirements for Online Graduate Programs
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.