Make the Most of Your Education by Earning Dual Endorsements with Liberty’s MAT in Special Education – General and Adapted Curriculum
Are you interested in becoming a special education teacher, but want to work with students who have a variety of needs? Imagine being able to graduate with not 1 but 3 endorsements in special education. Thanks to Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) in Special Education – General Curriculum and Adapted Curriculum with a Career and Technical Education (CTE)-Transition and Special Needs add-on endorsement, now you can!
What’s included in this degree?
- The general curriculum endorsement can help enable you to teach students with disabilities who follow the general K-12 curriculum.
- The adapted curriculum endorsement can provide training on how to teach students with more moderate to severe disabilities who are not following the standard curriculum but rather one that is customized for their needs.
- You can also earn the add-on endorsement for career and technical education (CTE)-transition and special needs, which incorporates technical and occupational knowledge to help students with disabilities transition into independent living, the professional workplace, or postsecondary education.
Liberty has designed this special education program to meet rigorous state requirements. Normally, you must get your initial teaching license for Special Education and then go back to school to pursue additional endorsements. However, our experienced faculty has designed this program to meet all the competencies required for multiple endorsements – so you can get all the credentials you need in the same program, including an initial teaching license. Liberty’s online MAT in Special Education – General Curriculum and Adapted Curriculum with CTE-Transition and Special Needs track is designed to help you achieve your career goals by meeting the exact needs of your licensure requirements for special education.
You can complete Liberty’s online MAT in Special Education in as little as 2 years, allowing you to start working in the special needs classroom sooner than many other teaching programs permit. With classroom experience in your area, you can gain the hands-on training and critical teaching knowledge to help you lead your future classroom. Partner with us and receive the training you need from a pioneer in online master’s in special education programs.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Master of Arts in Teaching program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
Why Choose Liberty’s MAT in Special Education – General and Adapted Curriculum Degree Program?
By earning your MAT in Special Education, you are preparing for a rewarding career in a field desperate for qualified, effective teachers. Through this program, you can earn a special education teaching license in both general and adapted curriculum while studying under professors who share your passion and who can mentor you in your journey.
Empowering teachers to succeed is important, so at Liberty, you can earn your MAT degree for 30% less than other online schools – at only $415 per credit hour for full time enrollment. With our online format, this special rate makes the MAT one of our most flexible and affordable master’s programs.
Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). With excellent and affordable online education, Liberty’s online MAT in Special Education can help you meet licensure requirements and set you up for success in your teaching career.
What Will You Learn in Our MAT in Special Education Degree?
Liberty’s MAT in Special Education online will allow you to pursue 2 special education teaching endorsements instead of having to pursue them separately.
- Create lesson plans and provide intellectual stimulation for students with special needs
- Learn to provide students with mild disabilities with a K-12 structure in the general curriculum endorsement
- Meet significant student needs by creating individualized support and care in the adapted curriculum endorsement
Topics covered within this program include educational behavior and development, theories and methodologies of education, current trends in the education field, and classroom management methods. You can also learn how to make decisions about student progress, instruction, programs, placement, and transitional services. Learning how to assess students and prepare them for independent living can make a huge difference in their future endeavors as they move into the community and either enter the workforce or continue with further education.
To round out your degree, you’ll complete at least 90 practicum hours and at least 2 full semesters of student teaching – one for each type of curriculum prior to graduation. Check out our featured courses below for more information!
- EDSP 524 – Collaborating for Successful Inclusive Classrooms
- EDSP 525 – Transition and Assessment for Exceptional Learners
- EDUC 504 – Educational Philosophy and Theories of Learning
- EDUC 571 – Curriculum Fundamentals
Highlights of Our Master’s in Special Education Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have lowered tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students (at least 9 hours per semester), Liberty University’s MAT online is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- Pursuing our online Master of Arts in Teaching licensure track may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- You can complete this program in 2 years.
- Because this is an online degree, you will have the opportunity to network with educators from across the country.
MAT in Special Education Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires a background check.
- Complete at least 90 practicum hours and at least 2 full semesters of student teaching prior to graduation.
- This program can help you achieve your initial teaching licensure.
- Upon completion of an eligible Graduate Education program, you may be eligible for certification through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- Review the State-Specific Approval Disclosures.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for MAT in Special Education – General and Adaptive Curriculum Graduates
- K-12 curriculum developer
- K-12 curriculum manager
- Licensed special education teacher
- Teaching product developer
Admission Requirements for Our MAT in Special Education Online Degrees
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.