Help Build a Better Future for Special Needs Students with Liberty’s M.A.T. in Special Education – General Curriculum
If you have a desire to enter the special education field but want to ensure that you meet the demand for grade-level expertise, you may need the flexibility of an additional endorsement. This can be difficult to accomplish with traditional M.A.T. degrees, but Liberty has a program designed specifically for your needs. You can have a rewarding career helping special needs students and earn a grade-level specific credential with Liberty’s Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) in Special Education – General Curriculum 45-hour program.
To meet rigorous state requirements and ensure you are well-prepared for the special needs classroom, you need a way to pursue multiple tracks or cover missing content competencies all in one degree. The M.A.T. in Special Education – General Curriculum 45-hour track can give you this flexibility by building in requirements for additional endorsements and allowing for electives to help fill in missing content competencies.
These additional standards can help you stand out as an expert in special education teaching, and the cutting-edge skills you learn can help you be ready to meet the challenges of the field. With in-class experience in your area, you can have the hands-on training and critical teaching knowledge you’ll need to be successful in your future classroom.
Empowering teachers to succeed is essential. So, at Liberty, you can earn your M.A.T. degree for less than at many other online schools — at only $415 per credit hour for full-time enrollment. With our online format, this special rate makes the M.A.T. one of our most flexible and affordable master’s programs.
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
Why Choose Liberty’s M.A.T. in Special Education – General Curriculum Degree Program?
By earning your M.A.T. in Special Education, you are preparing for a rewarding career in a field desperate for qualified, effective teachers. Through this program, you will earn a teaching license in special education with an add-on endorsement in Career and Technical Education (CTE) Transition and Special Needs. This add-on endorsement can help you meet new standards for special education and set you apart as an expert in special needs transition methods. You can also fit in requirements for an additional grade-level endorsement depending on your state requirements for K-12 content competencies.*
At Liberty University, we don’t just train educators — we train educators who want to make a positive impact on the next generation. The well-being of your special needs students and their families matters, so here you can learn to evaluate education theory from a biblical worldview. By integrating special education skills with a biblical worldview, you’ll learn to confidently address students’ educational, emotional, and spiritual needs.
Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). With excellent and affordable online education, Liberty’s online M.A.T. in Special Education will help you meet licensure requirements and set you up for success in your teaching career.
*Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Master of Arts in Teaching program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
What Will You Learn in Our M.A.T. in Special Education – General Curriculum 45-Hour Program?
As a student studying special education, you can learn how to provide individualized education support and care for students with significant disabilities. You can learn to create lesson plans and provide intellectual stimulation for special needs students while encouraging growth. Topics covered within this program include educational behavior and development, theories and methodologies of education, current trends in the education field, and methods of teaching with classroom management. You will also learn how to make decisions about student progress, instruction, program, placement, and transitional services.
Our courses are taught from a Christian perspective by educators equipped with years of experience teaching in the field of special education. You can learn how to apply a biblical worldview to your classroom in Christian, private, public, or homeschool settings.
Here are some of the specific subjects you will study throughout your program:
- Current trends in the education field
- Educational behavior and development
- Methods of teaching and classroom management
- Theories and methodologies of education
- EDSP 524 – Collaborating for Successful Inclusive Classrooms
- EDSP 525 – Transition and Assessment for Exceptional Learners
- EDSP 529 – Employment, Community, and Independent Living
- EDUC 530 – Teaching Mathematics
Highlights of Our Master’s in Special Education Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have lowered tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students (at least 9 hours per semester), Liberty University’s M.A.T. online is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- You can choose an additional endorsement area for initial licensure in elementary, middle grades, or secondary education for more flexibility.
- Pursuing our online Master of Arts in Teaching licensure-track may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- Because this is an online degree, you will have the opportunity to network with educators from across the country.
- Earning this degree can help you be eligible for certification through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- Obtain field experience with your in-person practicums and student teaching.
M.A.T. in Special Education Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and explore the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires a background check.
- Students will complete 2 practicum placements and 1 full semester of student teaching.
- This program will help you achieve your initial teaching licensure.
- Our program can help you become eligible for certification through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- Review state-specific state requirements.
- Review the State-Specific Approval Disclosures.
- Additional program details are available in the Online Graduate Advising Guide.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- The discounted tuition rate of $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Career Opportunities for M.A.T. in Special Education – General Curriculum 45-Hour Graduates
- Family support specialist
- Home-based service provider
- K-12 curriculum developer and manager
- Licensed special education teacher
- Special education consultant
- Teaching product developer
Admission Requirements for Online Graduate Programs
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.