Background Check & Fingerprinting
Prerequisite for Registration
The School of Education strives to produce educators who model high standards before their peers and who have dedicated their lives to education. In keeping with this mission, our candidates will complete a variety of field experiences in the K–12 school system as part of their program. Background checks have become a requirement in our partnerships with school systems. Out of respect for this change in climate, we require all candidates in a licensure program to complete a background check through American DataBank.
The background check can be purchased through BNC Virtual with your course materials. You are only required to purchase one background check package that pertains to your situation. Please carefully read the descriptions of all background check packages and choose the package that applies to you. If you have any questions, please contact EDBackground@liberty.edu.
Who needs the Background Check?
A completed and fully cleared background check is required in order to register for all courses requiring a practicum, student teaching, or internship component.
Programs Requiring a Background Check
Terms of Removal
A felony or other conviction reported on the background check may result in a candidate’s ineligibility for field practicum placement or required licensure and may result in removal from the program. The School of Education reserves the right to remove candidates from the program for convictions that can affect the safety and well-being of children and adolescents. The School of Education administration has adopted standards that mirror the Virginia Department of Education licensure regulations to determine the infractions that may lead to program removal in programs that have a field practicum or include licensure from the Virginia Department of Education.
According to the Virginia Department of Education licensure regulations, disqualifying infractions include:
- Conviction of any felony
- Conviction of any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude
- Subject of a founded case of child abuse and neglect
A candidate is entitled to an individualized determination on a program removal decision. The candidate may provide sufficient information and documentation to demonstrate that he or she does not pose a danger to the safety and well-being of children and adolescents, and possesses the essential character traits required for placement in a professional practicum field placement and/or required licensure. The School of Education reviews all material presented to make the final determination as to whether the candidate will be found ineligible for field placement and/or required licensure removed from the program.
The Background Check is required as part of standards for eligibility within the LU School of Education. In addition, the Virginia Department of Education also makes determinations about your eligibility to earn a state license.
The following questions will be asked of you as part of your application to receive your state license:
- Have you ever been convicted of, or entered a plea of guilty or no contest to, a felony?
- Have you ever been convicted of, or entered a plea of guilty or no contest to, a criminal offense in another country?
- Have you ever been convicted of, or entered a plea of guilty or no contest to, a misdemeanor involving a child (minor)?
- Have you ever been convicted of, or entered a plea of guilty or no contest to, a misdemeanor involving drugs (not alcohol)?
- Have you ever had a teaching, administrator, pupil personnel services, or other education-related certificate or license revoked, suspended, invalidated, canceled, or denied by another state, territory, or country; surrendered such a license; or had any other adverse action taken against such a license?
- Have you ever been the subject of a founded complaint of child abuse or neglect by a child protection agency?
- Have you ever left any education- or school-related employment, voluntarily or involuntarily, while the subject of an investigation, inquiry, or review of alleged misconduct or when you had reason to believe an investigation of the alleged misconduct was underway or imminent?
- To your knowledge, are you currently the subject of any investigation, inquiry, or review of alleged misconduct that could warrant discipline or termination by a school division or other education-related employer, or an adverse action against a teaching, administrator, pupil personnel services, or other education-related license or certificate?
Email email@example.com with any questions you have concerning the background check.