Adjunct Faculty for School of Engineering
- Ph.D., Geosciences at the University of Rhode Island
- M.S., Paleontology at South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
- B.S., Earth Science at Pennsylvania State University
Ross received his B.S. in Earth Science from Pennsylvania State University, his M.S. in Paleontology from the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology and his Ph.D. in Geosciences from the University of Rhode Island. He is an Assistant Professor of Geology in the Biology/Chemistry Department at Liberty University, where he is also the Assistant Director of the Center for Creation Studies.
As a graduate student, Ross was a fellow of the Discovery Institute’s Center for Science and Culture. Ross, along with Fred Heeren (an old Earth creationist), attended the Kunming conference in China with grants from the Institute. The conference was notable for being secretly funded by the Discovery Institute in an attempt to gain scientific legitimacy for intelligent design.
In 2007, Ross was featured in a report on creationism. Ross “believes that the Bible is a literally true account of the creation of the universe and that the earth is at most 10,000 years old.” This is in contrast to his previous position as reflected when he earned his Ph.D. in geosciences from University of Rhode Island with a dissertation about “the abundance and spread of mosasaurs, marine reptiles that, as he wrote, vanished at the end of the Cretaceous era about 65 million years ago.” Ross has been criticized by some for taking this academic route, but Ross claims that it only firmed his belief in young earth creationism and has enabled him to find academic ground upon which to base the argument for his scientific credentials.
In 2011, Steven Newton’s cover story in Earth discussed Ross using minor appearances at academic conferences, where he uses standard science, as a way to bolster claims that creationists challenge mainstream geological consensus when they are not presenting young Earth creationism at the conferences. Newton wrote, that Ross said that “he thought in a ‘framework’ of standard science; but for a creationist audience, he said, he used a creationist framework.
Ross was a cast member in the 2017 documentary film Is Genesis History?, where he and the other cast members argued in favor of and presented evidence for a young Earth.
- Ross, M.R., 2019. “Finite Games, Infinite Games, and Creation”, Sapientia. https://henrycenter.tiu.edu/2019/06/finite-games-infinite-games-and-creation/
- Ross, M.R., 2019. “Engaging Creationists and Critics in the Infinite Game”, Sapientia. https://henrycenter.tiu.edu/2019/07/engaging-creationists-and-critics-in-the-infinite-game/
- Ross, M.R. 2017. “(Mostly) Dry Bones: What Fossils Can Tell Us About Earth History”, Presentation to the Evangelical Theological Society Annual Meeting.
- Ross, M.R., 2017. “Genesis Flood (Global View). Zondervan Dictionary of Christianity and Science, p. 305-309 (invited entry).
- Ross, M.R., 2017. “Fossil Record (Young-Earth Creation View)”. Zondervan Dictionary of Christianity and Science, p. 290-294 (invited entry).
- Ross, M.R., 2017. “Ken Ham”. Zondervan Dictionary of Christianity and Science (invited entry).
- Ross, M.R., 2017. “Answers in Genesis”. Zondervan Dictionary of Christianity and Science, p. 42-43 (invited entry).
- Ross, M.R., J. Whitmore, S. Gollmer, and D. Faulkner, 2016. The Heavens and the Earth: Excursions in Earth and Space Science, 2nd Edition. Kendall-Hunt.
- Ross, M.R., 2014. Fossil Baramins on Noah’s Ark: The “Amphibia”. Answers Research Journal, vol. 7, p. 331-355.
Popular Publications and Media:
- Featured expert in Beyond Is Genesis History, Volume 1: Rocks and Fossils. Two segments: An Overview of Rocks & Fossils and the Fossil Record & Design. 2018
- Featured expert in theatrical-release documentary: Is Genesis History, by Compass Media. February, 2017. Re-released in theaters again in February of 2018.
- Featured in the four-disc documentary series Uncovering the Truth About Dinosaurs. ICR, 2016.
- Ross, M.R., 2016, “Winged Wonders”, Answers Magazine, Vol 11, no. 1, p. 24-26.
- Ross, M.R., 2014, “A Big, Bad, Beast like T. rex”, Answers Magazine, vol. 9, no. 4, p. 60-61.
- Ross, M.R., 2013, “Building a Better Dinosaur”, Answers Magazine, vol. 8, no. 4, p. 56-61.
- Ross, M.R., 2013, “Created Creature: Megalonyx”, Answers Magazine, vol. 8, no. 2, p. 22-25.
- Ross, M.R., 2013, “Big Animals of the Ice Age”, Answers Magazine, vol. 8, no. 2, p. 56-59.
- “Finding Boundaries with Fossils”. The Creation Summit, Master’s University, Santa Clarita, California. March 2019.
- “Dinosaurs Demystified”. The Creation Summit, Master’s University, Santa Clarita, California. March 2019
- “Noah’s Flood: Where Scripture Meets Geology”. Ready Answers Conference. Sault St. Marie, Ontario, Canada. October 2018.
- “Science and Faith”. The Anchor Conference, Calvary Baptist Church, Woodbridge VA. September 2018.
- “Noah’s Flood: Where Scripture Meets Geology”. Repairing the Ruins, annual meeting of the Association of Classical Christian Schools. Pittsburgh, PA, July, 2017.
- “Mineral Mayhem”. Repairing the Ruins, annual meeting of the Association of Classical Christian Schools. Pittsburgh, PA, July, 2017.
- “Twelve Years in Athens”. International Conference on the Bible and Science: Affirming Creation. St. George, Utah, July 2017
- “Fuzzy, with a Chance of Feathers”, Faith and Science meeting of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. July 2017.
- Debate on the Age of Creation: Marcus Ross (Young-Earth View) and Hugh Ross (Old-Earth View). Biology of Sin, Faith and Science Conference, Evangel University. September 2016.
- “Noah Flood: Where Genesis Meets Geology” Biology of Sin, Faith and Science Conference, Evangel University. September 2016.
- “Creation Undone”. Unlocking the Mysteries of Genesis Conference, Patrick Henry College, November 2015.
- “Dinosaurs Demystified”. Unlocking the Mysteries of Genesis Conference, Patrick Henry College, November 2015.
- “Of Mosasaurs and Meteors: Life and death in Noah’s Flood”. Rocky Mountain Creation Fellowship, November 2015.
- “Noah’s Flood: Where Scripture Meets Geology”. NCHE Thrive! Convention. May 2015.
- “Issues in Creation Geology”. Creation Retreat sponsored by Core Academy. March 2015.