Hydaway Outdoor Center
Fun. Challenge. Adventure. Take a break from your studies and enjoy all that Liberty University has to offer—outdoors! Camp, kayak, and even fish at the Hydaway Outdoor Center located less than 5 miles from the Liberty University campus. Run, hike, or bike on our expansive trail system. In the mood for adventure? Take a short getaway with us on one of our guided outdoor trips or compete in one of our trail races.
- Hydaway Outdoor Center is open for open-air recreational activities.
- Hydaway indoor spaces are operating with a limited capacity.
- 10 feet of distance must be maintained at all times between non-family members throughout the property.
- Equipment checkout items are limited.
- Outdoor courts and fields are for individual use only.
- Basketballs and volleyballs are not available to rent. Disc golf discs are available.
- Campsites and Challenge Course programming are not available at this time.
Liberty Mountain Trail Series
Take the challenge and run in the Liberty Mountain Trail Series. Races are held in both fall and spring semesters on the Liberty Mountain Trail System. Run our half-marathon, 5-mile, 2-mile, and 5k courses or our 1-mile uphill sprint.
Adventure with us on an outdoor trip guided by our experienced trip leaders. Trips include horseback riding, kayaking, hiking, whitewater rafting, camping, skiing, fly fishing, and rappelling.
Interested in getting certified in Wilderness First Aid? Want to learn more about backcountry cooking or fire building & survival shelter? Sign-up for one of our workshops this semester!
Our sandy beach and designated swimming area provide a perfect opportunity for all your lakefront fun. Swim, kayak, fish, and more. Hydaway offers a variety of equipment for rental use on the property and off-site such as fishing kits, mountain bikes, kayaks, canoes, and more!
The Liberty Mountain Trail System consists of over 50 miles of single and double track trails and logging roads spanning approximately 3,500 acres. The mountain rises to over 1,360 feet offering cross country and gravity-fed trails for both hiking and mountain biking.
Please be mindful of posted signage on the trail system. Areas along Opossum Creek, Dirty Ridge, and Idiots Run are under construction. Please beware of unstable trail conditions and heavy machinery.
Directional signs, map kiosks, and safety signs provide easy navigation for trail users. The trail system is open to the public during daylight hours. The trail system is for individual use only. Any organized group activities or events must email a request of approval to firstname.lastname@example.org
Emergency Contact (LUPD): (434) 582-3911
Hydaway Lake offers many recreational opportunities to students, faculty/staff, and public. The lake is about 8 acres and provides our fish populations with an abundant and healthy habitat.
- Species in Virginia Resource
- Largemouth Bass
- Sunfish (bluegill, crappie, etc.)
- Rainbow Trout (seasonal)
Rules and Regulations
- Valid VA Freshwater License required (purchase at VDGIF site)
- Catch and release ONLY (exceptions for rainbow trout during Fishing Derby and seasonal regulations)
- No lure or bait restrictions (with exception of non-native live bait)
- Trout season runs April 1-October 31
- 2 trout limit per angler/day
- No minimum or maximum size
Reach beyond your limits and try something new with one of our Challenge Courses. Low and high challenge courses offer a supportive and exciting team experience for students, faculty, and staff.
Available for reservation by Liberty University internal groups only at this time.
Campsites & Cabins
Reserve your campsite complete with a firepit on a Friday or Saturday night. Our 8 campsites are located on the outskirts of Lake Hydaway. Your camping gear comes free with your site reservation!
Available for reservation for dorm groups or families only at this time.
Soar into a new opportunity with our zipline.
Currently unavailable due to COVID-19.