Hydaway Outdoor Center
Fun. Challenge. Adventure. Take a break from your studies and enjoy all that Liberty University has to offer—outdoors! Camp, kayak, and even fish at the Hydaway Outdoor Center located less than 5 miles from the Liberty University campus. Run, hike, or bike on our expansive trail system. In the mood for adventure? Take a short getaway with us on one of our guided outdoor trips or compete in one of our trail races.
Liberty Mountain Trail Series
Take the challenge and run in the Liberty Mountain Trail Series. Races are held in both fall and spring semesters on the Liberty Mountain Trail System. Run our half-marathon, 5-mile, 2-mile, and 5k courses or our 1-mile uphill sprint.
Adventure with us on an outdoor trip guided by our experienced trip leaders. Trips include horseback riding, kayaking, hiking, whitewater rafting, camping, skiing, fly fishing, and rappelling.
Interested in getting certified in Wilderness First Aid? Want to learn more about backcountry cooking? Sign-up for one of our workshops this semester!
Our sandy beach and designated swimming area provide a perfect opportunity for all your lakefront fun. Swim, kayak, fish, and more. Hydaway offers a variety of equipment for rental use on the property and off-site such as fishing kits, mountain bikes, kayaks, canoes, and more! Please note that personal boats cannot be used on Hydaway Lake or stored at Hydaway.
The Liberty Mountain Trail System consists of over 50 miles of single and double track trails and logging roads spanning approximately 3,500 acres. The mountain rises to over 1,360 feet offering cross country and gravity-fed trails for both hiking and mountain biking.
Directional signs, map kiosks, and safety signs provide easy navigation for trail users. The trail system is open to the public during daylight hours. The trail system is for individual use only. Any organized group activities or events must email a request of approval to firstname.lastname@example.org
Emergency Contact (LUPD): (434) 582-3911
Hydaway Lake offers many recreational opportunities to students, faculty/staff, and the public. The lake is about 8 acres and provides our fish populations with an abundant and healthy habitat.
- Species in Virginia Resource
- Largemouth Bass
- Sunfish (bluegill, crappie, etc.)
- Rainbow Trout (seasonal)
Rules and Regulations
- Valid VA Freshwater License required (purchase at VDGIF site)
- Catch and release ONLY (exceptions for rainbow trout during Fishing Fest and seasonal regulations)
- No lure or bait restrictions (with exception of non-native live bait)
- Trout season runs April 1-October 31
- 2 trout limit per angler/day
- No minimum or maximum size
Reach beyond your limits and try something new with one of our Challenge Courses. Low and high-challenge courses offer a supportive and exciting team experience for students, faculty, and staff.
Campsites & Cabins
Reserve your campsite complete with a firepit on a Friday or Saturday night. Our 8 campsites are located on the outskirts of Lake Hydaway. Your camping gear comes free with your site reservation!
Visit the Hydaway Outfitter to reserve a campsite.
Soar into a new opportunity with our zipline.
How do I have a bonfire at Hydaway?
- Bonfires must be reserved two weeks in advance through our Facility Reservations page. The Amphitheater and Woods Pavilion locations are available for bonfires any night of the week.
How do I rent a mountain bike?
- Mountain bikes are available for rent through the Hydaway Outfitter. Mountain bikes are only able to be used on the Liberty Trail System and cannot be rented for use outside of the facility. If there has been recent inclement weather, please call to check if the trail systems are open!
What boats does Hydaway offer?
- We offer kayaks, canoes, and stand-up paddleboards for students, faculty, and staff to utilize for free on Hydaway Lake during our operational hours. All boats are also available to take off-site. View our rental pricing here. Personal boats are not allowed on the Hydaway property.
Can I bring a guest to Hydaway?
- Students, faculty, and staff are able to bring guests to participate in Hydaway’s lake activities (boating and water slide) and equipment rentals. Each individual is allowed to have 2 non-family guests and unlimited family guests, with family defined as parents, grandparents, spouse, siblings, children, and grandchildren.
Student Guest Policy Faculty/Staff Guest Policy Family Member | $5/Each Family Member | Free Non-Family Guest (up to 2) | $5/Each Non-Family Guest (up to 2) | $5/ Each
Am I able to drive myself to/from an Outdoor Adventure trip?
- No, all participants are required to travel in a Liberty University vehicle to and from our Outdoor Adventure trips.
Where can I pick up my race award?
- Liberty Mountain Trail Series awards can be picked up from the Hydaway Outdoor Center. Please send an email to email@example.com when you are planning to drop by so staff can prepare your award for you.
Why can’t I find a specific Outdoor Adventure on the website?
- If you can’t find a specific trip on the website that you are looking for, registration for that trip is no longer available. When a trip is at full capacity with a long waitlist, we remove it from the Outdoor Adventure page. We always release registration for all trips at the beginning of each semester, so we encourage you to continuously check the Outdoor Adventure page for our next set of trips!