Dr. Wayne Strasser
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering (CFD) – Virginia Tech
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering (CFD) – Clemson University
- B.S. Chemical Engineering – Clemson University
F.L.U.I.D. (Flow at Liberty University for Innovation & Design)
- Multiphase reactors
- Industrial equipment
Personal Mission Statement: “To maximize Christ’s glory by earning recognition in providing timely, rigorous, and viable computational fluid dynamics analyses.”
Dr. Wayne Strasser has provided computational solutions to problems related to fluids, reactions, and phase change for various global industry partners for 25 years, resulting in increased energy utilization and improved product yield valued at tens of millions (USD) annually.
The thrusts of his current research include optimization of a transonic self-sustaining pulsatile airblast atomizer and hybrid RANS-LES modeling of primary atomization. He has 36 patents in the US, plus those abroad.
He is a registered P.E. in three US states, an ASME Fellow, an Executive Director for ASTFE, the TFEC2019 Conference Co-Chair, and operates a private CFD consulting company. He previously chaired the ASME Fluid Applications and Systems Technical Committee and the ASME Honors and Awards Committee, but he now chairs the ASME Fluid Mechanics Technical Committee. He co-organizes two ASME symposia annually related to Industrial and Environmental flows, and he actively reviews articles for at least a dozen journals. For the Journal of Fluids Engineering, he is an Associate Editor in the areas of pumps and multiphase flows.
He also enjoys lively philosophical debate on the origin and meaning of life.
- Liberty Champion: Engineering Professor Uses Talents in the War on COVID-19
- LU News: Engineering Research on Containment of COVID-19
- Fox Interview: How COVID-19 Spreads with Nasal Devices
- ANSYS: Simulation-Based Analysis to Limit the Spread
- WDBJ7 Interview: Research Towards the Fight Against the Pandemic
- Liberty professors team up to develop, refine world’s smallest ventilator
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Strasser. 2020. Towards Atomization for Green Energy: Viscous Slurry Core Disruption By Feed Inversion. Atomization and Sprays (Submitted).
- Leonard, Strasser, Whittle, DeBellis, Prichard, Atwood, and Dungan. 2020. Reducing Aerosol Dispersion by High Flow Therapy in COVID-19: High Resolution Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulations of Particle Behavior during High Velocity Nasal Insufflation with a Simple Surgical Mask. Journal of the American College of Emergency Physicians, Accepted for Publication.
- Leonard, Atwood, Walsh, DeBellis, Dungan, Strasser, Whittle. 2020. Preliminary Findings of Control of Dispersion of Aerosols and Droplets during High Velocity Nasal Insufflation Therapy Using a Simple Surgical Mask: Implications for High Flow Nasal Cannula. CHEST (Available Online April 2, 2020)
- Strasser. 2019. The War on Liquids: Disintegration and Reaction by Enhanced Pulsed Blasting. Chemical Engineering Science 216; 115458
- Strasser. 2018. Oxidation-Assisted Pulsating Three-Stream Non-Newtonian Slurry Atomization For Energy Production. Chemical Engineering Science 196; 214-224.
- Strasser and Battaglia. 2018. Pulsating Slurry Atomization, Film Thickness, and Azimuthal Instabilities. Atomization and Sprays 28; 643-672.
- Strasser and Strasser. 2017. Challenging Paradigms by Optimizing Combustible Dust Separator. Journal of Fluids Engineering 140(7).
- Strasser and Battaglia. 2017. The Effects of Prefilming Length and Feed Rate on Compressible Flow in a Self-Pulsating Injector. Atomization and Sprays 27; 929-947.
- Strasser and Battaglia. 2017. The Effects of Pulsation and Retraction on Non-Newtonian Flows in Three-Stream Injector Atomization Systems. Chemical Engineering Journal 309, 532–544.
- Strasser and Battaglia. 2016. Identification of Pulsation Mechanism in a Transonic Three-Stream Airblast Injector. Journal of Fluids Engineering 138(11).
- Strasser and Battaglia. 2016. The Influence of Retraction on Three-Stream Injector Pulsatile Atomization for Air-Water Systems. Journal of Fluids Engineering 138(11).
- Strasser and Chamoun. 2014. Wall Temperature Considerations in a Two-Stage Swirl Non-premixed Furnace, Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics 14, No. 6, 386-397.
- Dhakal, Walters, and Strasser. 2013. Numerical Study of Gas-Cyclone Air Flow: An Investigation of Turbulence Modeling Approaches. International Journal of CFD 28, 1-15.
- Strasser and Wonders. 2011. Commercial Scale Slurry Bubble Column Reactor Hydro-Kinetic Optimization. AIChE Journal 58, 3; 946-956.
- Strasser. Towards the Optimization of a Three-Stream Coaxial Airblast Injector. International Journal of Multiphase Flow 37, 7; 831-844.
- Strasser. 2010. CFD Study of an Evaporative Trickle Bed Reactor: Mal-distribution and Thermal Runaway Induced by Feed Disturbances. Chemical Engineering Journal 161, 257-268.
- Strasser. 2010. Cyclone-ejector coupling and Optimisation. Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics 10, 19-31.
- Strasser. 2008. Discrete particle study of turbulence coupling in a confined jet gas-liquid separator. Journal of Fluids Engineering 130, 1 –11.
- Strasser. 2007. CFD Investigation of Gear Pump Mixing Using Deforming/Agglomerating Mesh. Journal of Fluids Engineering 129, 476 – 484.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Papers
- Prichard, Strasser, Cherok, Kacinski, and Lang. Passive Bristling of Shark Skin Scales at the Micro-Level: A Fundament Viscous Flow Study to Understand the Separation Control Mechanism. ASME Paper No. FEDSM2020-14168. (In Review)
- Strasser. Simple Feed Inversion Transforms a Slurry Atomizer. ASTFE Paper No. TFEC-2020-31631.
- Prichard, Strasser, and Eldredge. Cavitation number as a function of disk cavitator radius: A numerical analysis of natural supercavitation. ASME Paper No. IMECE2019-12492. First Place in ASME’s Young Engineer Paper Context.
- Strasser. 2019. Can naturally pulsating prefilming slurry atomization be enhanced by artificial external modulation? ASME Paper No. AJKFLUIDS2019-4882.
- Chen, Strasser, Battaglia. 2019. Numerical analysis of a turbulent reacting flame using comprehensive modeling approaches: RANS, LES, and Hybrid RANS-LES. Proceedings of the 4th Thermal and Fluids Engineering Conference (Extended Abstract).
- Strasser. 2018. Oxidation-Assisted Pulsatile Three-Stream Non-Newtonian Slurry Atomization. ASME Paper No. FEDSM2018-83025
- Strasser and Strasser. 2017. Investigation of Dust Separator Design and Risk Mitigation. ASME Paper No. FEDSM2017-69097.
- Strasser and Battaglia. 2015. Pulsatile primary slurry atomization: effects of viscosity, circumferential domain, and annular slurry thickness. ASME Paper No. IMECE2015-53026.
- Strasser and Battaglia. 2015. The effects of retraction on primary atomization in a pulsating injector. ASME Paper No. IMECE2015-53027.
- Strasser, Walters, Battaglia. 2015. Application of a hybrid RANS-LES CFD methodology to primary atomization in a coaxial injector. ASME Paper No. IMECE2015-53028.
- Strasser and Battaglia. 2013. A Significant Advancement in Understanding Self-Sustaining Pulsatile Injector Dynamics: Effects of Numerics, Nozzle Geometry, Gas Feed Rate, and Non-Newtonian Slurry. ASME Paper No. FEDSM2013-16074.
- Chamoun, Strasser, Acosta Herrera, and Casper. 2013. Numerical and experimental investigations of Non-Newtonian polymer heating in a static mixer. ASME Paper No. IMECE2013-63195.
- Strasser and Chamoun. 2012. Furnace Wall Temperature Investigation. ASME Paper No. IMECE2012-87883.
- Dhakal, Strasser, Jamal, Chitta, and Walters. 2012. Numerical Simulation of Vortex Dominated Flows with a Curvature Sensitized Eddy-Viscosity Model. 9th International ERCOFTAC Paper No. 0093.
- Strasser. 2012. Pulsatile Non-Newtonian Flow in a Three-Stream Coaxial Airblast Injector. ASME Paper No. FEDSM2012-72107.
- Strasser. 2011. Continuing Towards the Optimization of a Pulsatile Three-Stream Coaxial Airblast Injector. ASME Paper No. IMECE2011-63823.
- Strasser, Brooker, Earley, Fanning. 2010. CFD Investigation of air-water test stand for three-stream airblast reactor feed injector. ASME Paper No. FEDSM2010-ICNMM2010-30141.
- Strasser. 2009. CFD Study of an Evaporative Trickle Bed Reactor. ASME Paper No. IMECE2009-13303.
- Strasser. 2008. Improving the Operation of a Cyclone Coupled With an Ejector. ASME Paper No. IMECE2008-66601.
- Strasser and Wonders. 2007. Commercial Scale Slurry Bubble Column Reactor Optimization. Multiphase Flow Conference. Bologna, Italy.
- Strasser. 2006. Discrete Particle Study of Turbulence Coupling in a Gas-Liquid Separator. Turbulence, Heat and Mass Transfer 5. Croatia.
- Strasser. 2005. CFD Investigation of Gear Pump Mixing. ASME Paper No. IMECE2005-81167.
- Strasser, Feldman, Wilkins, and Leylek. 2004. Transonic passage turbine blade tip clearance with scalloped shroud: Part II – losses with and without scrubbing effects in engine configuration, Paper No. IMECE2004-59116.
- Feldman, Strasser, Wilkins, and Leylek. 2004. Transonic passage turbine blade tip clearance with scalloped shroud: Part I – Aerodynamic Losses in a Dual Passage Cascade, ASME Paper No. IMECE2004-59115.
1 10,188,968 Full-Text Candle filter support and plate assembly for polymer melts
2 10,029,973 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
3 8,734,909 Full-Text Methods and apparatus for coating substrates
4 8,685,334 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
5 8,653,207 Full-Text Process and apparatus for polymerizing ethylene under ultra-high pressure
6 8,501,986 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
7 8,470,257 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
8 8,178,054 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
9 8,114,356 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
10 7,977,505 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
11 7,977,436 Full-Text Process and apparatus for olefin polymerization in a fluidized bed reactor
12 7,910,769 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
13 7,910,071 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
14 7,741,515 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
15 7,740,674 Full-Text High-pressure separator
16 7,718,139 Full-Text Process and apparatus for olefin polymerization in a fluidized bed reactor
17 7,692,037 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
18 7,692,036 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
19 7,659,427 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
20 7,608,733 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
21 7,589,231 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
22 7,572,936 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
23 7,572,932 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
24 7,563,926 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
25 7,507,857 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
26 7,498,003 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
27 7,498,002 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
28 7,495,125 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
29 7,491,369 Full-Text Oxidation system with internal secondary reactor
30 7,482,482 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
31 7,399,882 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
32 7,390,921 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
33 7,381,836 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
34 7,371,894 Full-Text Optimized liquid-phase oxidation
35 7,358,389 Full-Text Oxidation system employing internal structure for enhanced hydrodynamics
36 7,355,068 Full-Text Oxidation system with internal secondary reactor