Dr. Diana Schwerha
Professor, Industrial & Systems Engineering
- West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, Doctor of Philosophy in Industrial and Management Systems Engineering
- West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, Graduate Certificate in Gerontology, Center on Aging
- West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, Master of Science in Occupational Hygiene and Occupational Safety
- University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, Master of Arts in Fine Arts
- Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA, Master of Arts in History
- Mary Washington College, Fredericksburg, VA, Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
- Human Factors and Ergonomics
- Emerging Technologies
- Schwerha, D.J. and McMullin, D.L. (2002). Prioritizing Ergonomic Research in Aging for the 21st Century American Workforce. International Journal of Experimental Aging Research, 28, 99-110.
- Schwerha, D., Boudinot, A., and Loree, N. (2020). Development of a System to Integrate Safety, Productivity, and Quality for Improved Communications and Solutions. Safety Science, 129, 104765.
- Clark, T. and Schwerha, D. (2020). Millennial Preferences in Training Messages: The Role of Teamwork and Corporate Social Responsibility. Work, Pre-print, 1-14.
- Hayden, M. A., & Schwerha, D. J. (2019). Value Stream Maps: Improving Procurement of Ergonomic Office Equipment. Professional Safety, 64(05), 53-58.
- Amadi, E., Masel, D. Schwerha, D., and Hostetler, S. (2019). A bi-objective optimization approach for configuring surgical trays with ergonomic risk consideration. IIE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/24725579.2019.1620383.
- Ardjmand, E., Weckman, G, Snow, A., and Schwerha, D. (2016) An Approach to Analyzing the Retirement Satisfaction among Men and Women Based on Artificial Neural Networks and Decision Trees. International Journal on Advances in Intelligent Systems, v 9 n 3&4.
- Lynch, K., Schwerha, D., Johanson, G. (2013). Development of a Weighted Heuristic for Website Evaluation for Older Adults. International Journal of Human Computer Interaction. www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10447318.2012.715277
- Rinder, M., Weckman, G., Schwerha, D., Snow, A. P., Dreher, P., Park, N., Paschold, H., Young, W. (2012). Healthcare Scheduling by Data Mining, Literature Review and Future Directions. Journal of Healthcare Engineering, 3(3), 477-502.
- Schwerha, D., Ritter, C., Robinson, S., Griffeth, R., Fried, D. (2011). Integrating Ergonomic Factors into the Decision to Retire. Human Resource Management Review, Elsevier, 21(3), 220-227.
- Schwerha, D. (2010). Ergonomics for the Experienced. Industrial Engineer.
- Wiker, S., Schwerha, D., Jaraiedi, M. (2009). Auditory and Visual Distractor Decrement in Older Worker Manual Assembly Task Learning: Impact of Spatial Reasoning, Field Independence and Level of Education. Human Factors and Ergonomics in Manufacturing, 19(4), 300-317.
- Schwerha, D., Wiker, S., Jaraiedi, M. (2007). Effect of Distractors, Age, and Level of Education upon Psychomotor Task Learning. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics. (37), 801-809.
- Schwerha, D. McNamara, N., Nussbaum, M. Kim, S. Final Report to the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation. 2020. Assessing the Potential of Exoskeletons for Ohio Industries.
- Schwerha, D., Boudinot, A., and Loree, N. Final Report to the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation. 2017. Measuring the Impact of Integrating Safety and Ergonomics with Lean and Six Sigma Processes across Different-size Manufacturing Companies in Ohio.
- Stephens, D. and Schwerha, D. (2020). Tools for Ergonomic Intervention: The Development and Analysis of a Cost Calculator. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 64th International Annual Meeting, Virtual, October 5-9.
- Haning, S. and Schwerha, D. (2019). Women and Exoskeletons: Design and its Effect on Fit and Comfort Proceedings of the The XXXIst Annual Occupational Ergonomics and Safety Conference New Orleans, LA, USA June 12-13.
- Paravano, J. and Schwerha, D. (2019). Assessment of commonly used training techniques and their overall effectiveness on the younger workforce. Proceedings of the The XXXIst Annual Occupational Ergonomics and Safety Conference New Orleans, LA, USA June 12-13.
- Guinsler, V. and Schwerha, D. (2018). An Examination of the Musculoskeletal Impact of Residential Solar Panel Installation. Proceedings of the The XXXth Annual Occupational Ergonomics and Safety Conference Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA June 7-8.
- Schwerha, D. J., Boudinot, A., and Loree, N. (2017). Integrating Safety with Process Improvement for Sustainable Manufacturing. Proceedings of the 2017 IISE Annual Conference.
- Boudinot, A., Loree, N., and Schwerha, D. (2017). Integration of Safety and Process Improvement to Improve Perceived Incompatibility. Proceedings of the 2017 IISE Annual Conference.
- Ardjmand, E., Weckman, G. R., Schwerha, D. and Snow, A. (2016) Analyzing the Retirement Satisfaction Predictors among Men and Women Using a Multi-Layer Feed Forward Neural Network and Decision Trees. The International Workshop on Knowledge Extraction and Semantic Annotation, (KESA 2016), February 21 – 25, Lisbon, Portugal, (Received a “Best Paper Award”).
- Celibilek, Schwerha, D. (2013). Benchmarking Chronic Diseases and Prevention of U.S. States: DEA Approach. Proceedings of the 2013 Industrial Engineering Research Conference.
- Schwerha, D., Jones, A., Liu, S., Ozercan, S., Zhou, J. (2011). Development of a Computer Skills Class for Older Adults Using a Service Learning Model. Philadelphia, PA: ASEE Mid Atlantic Conference.
- Ritter, C., Robinson, S., Schwerha, D., Fried, D. (2011). An Empirical Evaluation of Ergonomics as a Distal Determinant in the Retirement Decision Process. Academy of Management Annual Meeting.
- Fried, D., Ritter, C., Milakovic, A., Tenbrink, A., Griffeth, R., Schwerha, D. (2011). Work-Role Attachment and Preferences to Extend Career Employment through Phased Retirement. Academy of Management Annual Meeting.
- Slover, S., Schwerha, D. (2011). Improving Website Heuristics through Participatory Design. Proceedings of the 2011 Industrial Engineering Research Conference.
- Ritter, C., Schwerha, D., Gerasymchuk, D., Robinson, S., Griffeth, R. (2010). Sustaining Aging Workers: Development of a Model with Ergonomic Factors in the Decision to Retire. Academy of Management Annual Meeting.
- Morse, B., Griffeth, R., Hom, P., Schwerha, D., Allen, D. (2009). The Cross-cultural Generalizability of the Turnover Events and Shocks Scale: An Assessment with Mexican Nurses (June 21-24 ed.). Proceedings of the 10th International Human Resource Management Conference.
- Schwerha, D., Bruce, C., Sanford, J., Gibson, S., Spokus, D., Whiting, H. (2009). The Role of Human Factors in Older Worker Retention: What do we know and what will we need to know? (vol. 53rd Proceedings). CA: Human Factors and Ergonomic Society.
- Vadlamani, T., Schwerha, D., Griffeth, R. (2009). Multidimensional Scale for Ergonomics Risk Factors Related to Employee Retention. Proceedings of the 2009 Industrial Engineering Research Conference.
- Schwerha, D., Liu, C., Ozercan, S., Vadlamani, T., Neiman, L. (2008). Second Life as a Pedagogical Tool for Improving Statistics Homework Sessions. West Point, NY: American Society for Engineering Education (Zone 1) Conference.
- Wiker, S. F., Schwerha, D., Jaraiedi, M. (2006). Impact of Auditory and Visual Distractors Upon Manual Assembly Task Learning Among Older Workers with Different Levels of Spatial Reasoning and Field Dependence. San Francisco, CA: 50th Annual Meeting of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society.
- Schwerha, D., Wiker, S., Jaraiedi, M. (2006). Impact of Age and Distractors upon Learning a Manual Assembly Task. Maastricht: 16th World Congress of the IEA.
- Schwerha, D.J. (2001). The Effect of Some Worker-Related Variables on Work Ability, Work Technique, and Number of Errors in a Packing Job. Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Conference, October 8-12, in Minneapolis, MN.
- Schwerha, D.J. and McMullin, D.L. (2000). Prioritizing Ergonomic Research in Aging for the 21st Century American Workforce. IEA 2000/HFES 2000 Congress, July 30-August 4 in San Diego, CA.