Become a University Leader with Liberty’s PhD in Higher Education Administration
Liberty University’s 100% online PhD in Higher Education Administration degree program will expand your knowledge, skills, and training in education through advanced course content and in-depth research. Our program focuses on developing leadership and research skills so you can be equipped with the problem-solving ability needed to lead students to success.
What is a PhD in Higher Education Administration?
A Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Higher Education Administration is a terminal degree designed to equip scholars and academics to advance their careers. This program is focused on giving you the tools you need to pursue faculty careers and administrative roles in colleges and universities. With specialized skills and knowledge in managing departments, implementing enrollment growth strategies, and government compliance expertise, you can prepare for success in higher education leadership. Liberty’s online PhD in Higher Education Administration can equip you with these skills so that you can help your school grow and thrive.
Our PhD in Higher Education online degree program will provide you with the tools to effectively communicate through various mediums, critically problem solve, and increase information literacy. This program will enable you to focus on leadership in higher education through research and practical application, allowing you to enhance your skills and properly market your abilities.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online PhD in Higher Education Administration Degree?
Liberty’s PhD in Higher Education Administration online degree program is designed to provide you with the advanced training you need to seek promotions, new opportunities, or make a career change. You can prepare to work in a Christian college, community college, or state university system. Liberty’s PhD in Higher Education Administration will help give you the skills you need to create a positive learning environment for your students. With your experience and higher education administration doctorate degree, you can help students transition to college successfully.
At Liberty, we value your time. Our PhD programs are built to equip you with the skills you need with a flexible schedule and effective learning tools. We created the PhD in Higher Education Administration to be a 100% online degree program so that you will not be required to attend courses on campus. We are committed to helping you obtain your degree in a way that is most convenient for you.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
While researching online doctoral programs in higher education, you may have questions about how this degree can help you reach your career goals. Below are some common questions about Liberty’s doctorate in higher education administration PhD track.
Should I get a PhD in Higher Education Administration?
Higher education PhD programs are designed to help you specialize in an academic role at a college or university. Because of this focus, this degree is especially suited for those who:
- Are currently teaching at the college level.
- Want to move into a higher education teaching role.
- Already have a role in managing a higher education department.
Earning your PhD in Higher Education Administration can open doors to new ways you can help your school thrive. You can teach at the higher education level while helping the school create new and more successful programs. The training and studies in this degree can help you build your career.
These skills can also translate to a corporate administrative role, a nonprofit leadership role, or a government role as you will have insights and expertise in education that many industries rely on.
What can you do with a PhD in Higher Education?
With teaching experience and a PhD in Higher Education, you will be qualified for many roles in education administration.
- With research experience from Liberty’s PhD in Higher Education, you will be well prepared for roles in colleges and universities such as department heads, university board chairs, and instructional coordination managers.
- Depending on state licensing requirements, you may be eligible for roles in K-12 administration such as school principal, superintendent, and education policymaking roles.
- There are also many companies and organizations that develop instructional products, courses, training, and teaching materials which rely on the expertise gained from a PhD in Higher Education. Administrative and high-level executive roles in these organizations often require a PhD.
- Administrators in many government roles at the local, state, and federal level need to lobby for, design, and implement education policies. These roles often require advanced degrees in higher education in order to develop and execute effective education regulations and laws.
Is a PhD in Higher Education Administration worth it?
Doctoral programs in higher education can give you the specialized tools and knowledge you need to move from a teaching career to an administrative role in a college or university.
Earning your PhD in Higher Education Administration online can help you build a rewarding career in an expanding job market. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median salary for postsecondary education administrators was $94,340 in 2018. The job market for these roles is expected to grow by 7% until 2028, which is faster than the average of occupations.*
These data demonstrate that the investment of time in earning your doctoral degree in higher education administration can yield long-term benefits and help you establish yourself in a growing field.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook: Postsecondary Education Administrators (viewed online April 2, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in Our PhD in Higher Education Administration Degree Program?
Our online education classes seek to enhance your knowledge of leadership styles in the educational setting. Understanding how leadership styles promote excellence is crucial in guiding your organization toward its defined mission. Our online PhD in Higher Education Administration courses will help you put your leadership training into action. Our higher education administration doctoral degree offers practical studies in educational law, administration, and an in-depth look at collegiate teaching.
As you begin the PhD in Higher Education Administration degree online, you will gain advanced expertise in essential core areas. Through your PhD courses, you will establish an advanced knowledge of education law and how American laws may be applied and/or adjusted in an educational setting. This understanding will help you navigate the complex issue of the separation of church and state in relation to education. Most importantly, you will learn to understand students from a sociological, cultural, and psychological perspective to better aid their future success.
- EDUC 758 – Teaching the College Student
- EDUC 759 – College and University Administration
- EDUC 784 – Assessment and Accreditation
- EDUC 845 – Policy Analysis
PhD in Higher Education Online Degree Information
- Students pursuing a Ph.D. in Higher Education online must complete a dissertation.
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
Potential Career Options with a Higher Education Administration PhD Degree
- Clinical, counseling, or school psychologist
- Curriculum specialist
- Educational consultant
- Post-secondary education instructor
- Survey researcher
- Training and development specialist
- University professor
- University administrator
Admission Requirements for Our Online PhD in Higher Education Administration Degree Program
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All Applicants Must Submit the Following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
Our Online PhD in Higher Education Administration Program Highlights
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online PhD in Higher Education Administration from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years – and counting.
- You can complete our PhD in Higher Education Administration degree program online in about 3 years.