Shape the Future of Education with Liberty’s PhD in Educational Research
In today’s ever-evolving educational landscape, there is a growing need for professionals who can effectively shape the policies and procedures affecting schools, administrators, teachers, and students. At Liberty University, we seek to train up leaders who can meet this need and provide valuable guidance in educational, governmental, and nonprofit organizations – all while upholding the highest standards of integrity.
Whether your goal is to teach at the collegiate level, conduct research, work at a think tank, craft educational policy, or lead an organization, our 100% online Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Educational Research can help you become a researcher and practitioner with a well-rounded understanding of learning theory. In this program, you’ll have the opportunity to select a discipline that matches your professional goals, allowing you to pursue your career aspirations.
Here at Liberty University’s School of Education, our mission is unwavering – to nurture educators and leaders who are prepared to ask the important questions, tackle challenges, and broaden the horizons of educational research and leadership. Partner with us and gain the tools you need to produce new research and develop policies that will change the field of education for the better.
Why Choose Liberty’s Educational Research Doctoral Degree?
By choosing Liberty’s education research degree, you’re picking a program that is committed to offering you the best in flexibility, quality, and instruction.
Here’s what sets us apart:
- Flexibility | Going back to school doesn’t have to mean putting your life on hold. This doctorate in research is 100% online, giving you the freedom to earn your degree from anywhere with an internet connection! Additionally, most of our courses are only 8 weeks long with multiple start dates offered each year – so you can pursue your degree on your schedule.
- Quality | Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. You can be confident that our programs have met rigorous standards of academic excellence.
- Experienced Faculty | At the heart of our PhD program lies our exceptional faculty – a team of seasoned professionals with valuable experience in many areas of education. As a student, you can benefit from their real-world insight and passion for your success. They are here to guide, challenge, and support you at every step of your doctoral journey.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Our PhD in Educational Research Degree?
Our education research degree dives deep into subjects such as advanced learning theory, institutional research, and advanced educational statistics. You’ll also take several courses focusing on research methods – including applied, quantitative, qualitative, survey, and mixed methods of research. These skills can help you build toward producing original research in the field.
Throughout your courses, you can also learn how to conduct a literature review, assess academic effectiveness in an institutional setting, and navigate contemporary educational policy issues. Additionally, you’ll have some flexibility to tailor your degree to your unique goals with an elective course. Whether you’re working in a K-12 school, university, government agency, nonprofit, or any other organization that deals with educational policy and procedure, you can develop the skills needed to improve the quality and effectiveness of academic offerings.
To culminate your studies, you’ll complete a series of dissertation courses that will guide you through every step of the process – from conceptualization to defense. This presents a golden opportunity to showcase your knowledge, address real-world challenges in education, and prepare for a career committed to transforming education through research.
- EDUC 750 – Survey of Educational Research
- EDUC 779 – Institutional Research
- EDUC 780 – Evaluation and Measurement Tools
- EDUC 845 – Policy Analysis
Highlights of Our PhD in Educational Research
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- With our 100% online courses, you can earn your degree from the comfort of home – while still fulfilling your commitments to your family, job, and community.
- By completing a dissertation, you can conduct original research and contribute to the base of knowledge in your field.
- Our online library portal gives you access to numerous scholarly books, articles, and more – so you can find the sources you need to complete your coursework.
Educational Research Doctoral Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This is a non-licensure program.
- A dissertation is required.
- Most of our PhD courses are offered in an 8-week format; however, the dissertation courses are 16 weeks long.
Potential Career Opportunities for PhD in Educational Research Graduates
- Educational consultant
- Private business consultant
- Researcher at a university or think tank
- University administrator
- University professor
Admission Requirements for the Online PhD in Educational Research
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.