Liberty’s 45-hour M.A.T. in Secondary Education Track Gives You the Flexibility to Build Your Teaching Career
Building a meaningful high school teaching career requires more than just a teacher’s license. It requires patience, compassion — and specialization in a particular subject. If you’re looking to pursue more than one specialization or cover your content competencies all in one degree, Liberty’s Master of Arts in Teaching – Secondary Education 45-hour track will give you the opportunity and the flexibility to do so. Whatever your content requirement needs, this program is designed to help you attain licensure and meet your professional goals.
Building upon a core of essential learning theory and teaching best practices, this program is designed to enable you to branch out with an additional endorsement area in elementary or special education. Alternatively, you can use your additional electives to help you meet core competency requirements. Either way, our online secondary education degree can help give you the tools to both meet the needs of your school district and help students thrive.
Liberty’s required student teaching experience in your area can equip you with hands-on training and the critical teaching knowledge you need to succeed in your future classroom. Liberty’s 45-hour M.A.T. in Secondary Education is built to help you flourish in a meaningful teaching career.
Empowering teachers to succeed is important, so at Liberty, you can earn your M.A.T. degree for about 30% less than other online schools — at only $415 per credit hour for full-time enrollment.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Master of Arts in Teaching program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
Why Choose Liberty’s M.A.T. in Secondary Education 45-hour Online Degree Program?
At Liberty University, we don’t just train educators — we train educators who want to make a positive impact on the next generation. Your students’ well-being matters, so here you can learn to evaluate education theory — and everything else you study — from a biblical worldview.
Even with dual endorsement areas, you can complete Liberty’s online 45-hour M.A.T. in Secondary Education in as little as 2 years.
If your bachelor’s degree is not related to the subject you want to teach, you may need to complete additional courses called content competencies in this area. The 45-credit hour M.A.T. program also allows you to use your electives to complete content competencies.
Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). With excellent and affordable online education, Liberty’s online M.A.T. in Secondary Education will help you meet licensure requirements and set you up for success in your teaching career.
What Will You Learn in the Master of Arts in Teaching – Secondary Education?
The online Master of Arts in Teaching will give you a balance of theoretical educational models and hands-on, practical teaching skills. Throughout this program, you will find a core of learning theory, important studies in the historical and philosophical foundations of education, and foundations of exceptionalism in education.
You will also learn about critical assessment tools that enable schools to measure student learning and make improvements. Your secondary education track can prepare you to work with grades 6-12 with courses focused on curriculum development and behavior management.
With 9 credit hours of electives, you can cover missing content competencies or fulfill additional requirements for a second endorsement area.
Here are some of the specific subjects you will study throughout your program:
- Current trends in the education field
- Educational behavior and development
- Methods of teaching and classroom management
- Theories and methodologies of education
Benefits of an Online Teaching Degree
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have lowered our tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full time students (at least 9 hours per semester), Liberty University’s M.A.T. online is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- Pursuing our online Master of Arts in Teaching licensure-track may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- Because this is an online degree, you will have the opportunity to network with educators from across the country.
- Receive hands-on experience with your in-person required practicums and student teaching.
Masters of Arts in Teaching Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and explore the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires a background check.
- Students will complete a semester of student teaching.
- This program will help you achieve your initial teaching licensure.
- Our program may make you eligible for certification through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- Review state-specific licensure requirements.
- Review state-specific approval disclosures.
- Additional program details are available in the Online Graduate Advising Guide.
Military Benefits for the M.A.T. in Secondary Education 45-hour Track
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
What Career Can You Pursue with a Master of Arts in Teaching Secondary Education 45 Hour Track?
- High school teacher
- K-12 curriculum developer
- K-12 curriculum manager
- Secondary education licensed teacher
- Teaching product developer
Students may also choose to pursue a dual endorsement. By taking a few extra courses, students can graduate with licensure in secondary education and another endorsement area, such as elementary education or special education.
Admission Requirements for Online Graduate Programs
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.