Gain Twice the Marketability with Liberty’s Online MAT in Middle Education to EdS in School Curriculum and Instructional Planning
Are you interested in earning a graduate degree and a teaching license? Perhaps you’re convinced that a career in education is for you – and you’d like to double-down on your commitment to tomorrow’s leaders by completing a master’s degree and a doctoral-level credential in one fell swoop. If this sounds like you, Liberty University’s online Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) in Middle Education Curriculum to Education Specialist (EdS) in School Curriculum and Instructional Planning is an excellent choice.
Historically, students haven’t always had the opportunity to pursue doctoral-level studies and graduate-level studies at the same time. In fact, the graduate-to-doctoral step is typically sequential – you might spend 3 or 4 years completing a master’s and an additional 2 earning your EdS.
Six years is a considerable amount of time – especially if you’re a working professional with bills to pay and a family to feed. At Liberty, we understand that you can’t put your life on hold to go back to school. That’s why our MAT to EdS track can be completed in as little as 2.5 years.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Master of Arts in Teaching to Education Specialist program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Dual MAT in Middle Grades to EdS Program?
As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to design a flexible and affordable online degree program for busy people. Our MAT to EdS degree online is offered in mostly 8-week sections with no required intensives – allowing you to further your education without having to travel to a residential campus.
Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Earning a CAEP-accredited degree from a regionally accredited university like Liberty can help you command respect in the field of education.
Another benefit to this degree program is licensure. Oftentimes, universities require students to complete residential programs in order to become licensed teachers – but through our MAT to EdS degree online, you are able work towards earning a teaching license while taking mostly online courses. Though the practicums and internship embedded in this program require you to work in a classroom near you, the hands-on experience you gain through your field placements can serve as a valuable opportunity for you to put what you learn into practice.
What Will You Learn in Our MAT to Online Education Specialist Degree?
This dual degree program consists of 2 sections: the MAT in Middle Education Curriculum and the Education Specialist in School Curriculum and Instructional Planning.
In the MAT in middle grades section, you will study instructional strategies for diverse learners, principles of behavior management, and literacy and language instruction. You will also study literacy across the curriculum, take a few elective courses and fulfill your content competencies, and explore procedures for instructional content. In the EdS section, you will study advanced educational philosophy and theories of learning. You will also study advanced tests and measurements, theory in curricular design, and the role of the reflective practitioner.
This dual degree program also allows you to gain valuable experience in real-world educational settings. As part of this online MAT to EdS program, you’ll complete 2 practicums at an approved location near you. You will also complete a student teaching placement. That way, you can graduate from this program a more confident, prepared professional whose knowledge of curriculum development and teaching methods is rooted in real-world experience.
Upon successful completion of each course, you will have earned both an MAT and an EdS – 2 valuable credentials that can help take your career to new heights.
- EDLC 510 – Instructional Strategies for Diverse Learners
- EDLC 623 – Principles of Behavior Management
- EDLC 706 – Advanced Tests and Measurements
- EDLC 772 – Theory in Curricular Design
Course guides coming soon
Highlights of Our MAT in Middle Education to EdS Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- EdS credits can potentially be applied toward our Doctor of Education (EdD) or Doctor of Philosophy in Education (PhD) program, should you later choose to further your education.
- You can complete this degree program in as little as 2.5 years!
Master of Arts in Teaching in Middle Grades to Education Specialist Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires a background check.
- Complete at least 90 practicum hours and at least 1 full semester of student teaching prior to graduation.
- This program can help you achieve your initial teaching licensure.
- Upon completion of an eligible Graduate Education program, you may be eligible for certification through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- Review the State-Specific Approval Disclosures.
Military Benefits for Our Online Graduate Programs
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate and postgraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for MAT to EdS Graduates
- College administrator
- Curriculum specialist
- Instructional supervisor
- Public or private middle school teacher
Admission Requirements for Our MAT to EdS Degree
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.