Take the Next Step in Your Education Career with a Master of Arts in Teaching – Middle Grades Education Degree
Middle school can be a challenging, formative time for many children. Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) – Middle Grades Education online program is designed to meet the growing need for middle school teachers who know how to lead and inspire students.
Maybe you’re seeking initial teaching licensure, or perhaps you’re looking to launch a new career in education as a middle school teacher. Either way, our program can equip you to meet your career goals and make a positive difference in the lives of your students. You can gain the tools you need to help children and adolescents succeed in their educational journey.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Master of Arts in Teaching program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
How much do teachers make with a master’s degree?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary for middle school teachers is $60,810 per year.* Earning a master’s degree can have a huge impact on your marketability and earnings. With a master’s in teaching, you could receive a median salary that’s nearly 20% higher than the salary of your professional counterparts who only have a bachelor’s degree.**
What is the difference between a Master of Arts in Teaching and a Master of Education?
If you’re wondering what the best master’s degree is for teachers, you’ll want to understand how a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and a Master of Education (MEd) can each impact your career prospects.
An MAT is designed to train students for a career in the classroom. With our MAT program, you can pursue initial teaching licensure and gain the practical, hands-on skills needed to be a middle school teacher. In contrast, an MEd can help you prepare for educational leadership roles outside the classroom if you already have your teaching license but want to earn a master’s degree. By pursuing Liberty’s MEd, you could work in school administration or in curriculum and instruction development.
Why Choose Liberty University’s MAT in Middle School Program?
We strive to live out Christ-like characteristics and to use the power of faith and education to transform people and the world. Our online middle school program is designed to help you integrate ethical standards with your professional life. As a Liberty student, you’ll be equipped to grow academically, professionally, and spiritually.
We don’t just train educators — we train educators who want to make a positive impact on the next generation. It’s who you are and who you aspire to become. We want to help you reach your goals, so we’re making a master’s degree more affordable. You can add to your skill set, broaden your professional capacity, and make a bigger impact on your students with an online graduate degree in education from Liberty University.
Choosing Liberty means choosing a degree that fits your schedule. We’ve designed our online MAT degree program with your success in mind. With no set login times, you can complete your online courses wherever and whenever you need.
Interested in earning an EdS in addition to your MAT in Middle Grades?
If you’re interested in earning an Education Specialist degree as well as your MAT in Middle Grades Education, our online Master of Arts in Teaching in Middle Education Curriculum to Education Specialist (EdS) in School Curriculum and Instructional Planning is a great option. Offering a blend of graduate and postgraduate courses, this program allows you to earn both an MAT in Middle Education as well as an EdS in School Curriculum and Instructional Planning. In addition, you can complete the dual degree program in as little as 2.5 years!
What Will You Learn in Liberty’s M.A.T. Online Program in Middle Grades Education?
In this program, you’ll take core courses that cover important topics in the field of education, including classroom management, instructional strategies, and theories of learning. The middle grades cognate explores how to teach math, natural sciences, literacy, and social studies at the middle school level.
You’ll also learn how to plan and implement a curriculum that meets your students’ needs and allows them to thrive. By understanding the physical, social, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual needs of middle schoolers, you can provide the leadership and guidance they need to succeed in school and in life.
At the end of this program, you’ll complete a semester of student teaching to gain real-world experience in the field of education. If you’d like to increase your marketability and diversify your skill set, we offer the option to pursue multiple areas of study.
- EDUC 601 – Professional Development in Middle Grades Education
- EDUC 602 – Young Adolescents, Schools, and Communities
- EDUC 635 – Teaching Science in the Middle School
Highlights of Earning Your Master of Arts in Teaching at Liberty University
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online M.A.T. in Middle Grades Education degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we lowered our tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students, Liberty University’s MAT program is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- Pursuing our online Master of Arts in Teaching may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- While completing an MAT at Liberty University, you can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal.
MAT in Middle School Degree Information
- This program falls under Liberty’s School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires a background check.
- This program prepares students for initial teaching licensure.
- You will complete a semester of student teaching, giving you on-the-job experience that can equip you for the future.
- Our MAT – Middle Grades Education degree can help you become eligible to pursue certification through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- Review state-specific approval disclosures.
- Additional program details are available in the Online Graduate Advising Guide.
Military Benefits for Liberty University’s Middle School Teaching Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
What Can You Do with a Master of Arts in Teaching – Middle Grades Education Degree?
Liberty’s MAT – Middle Grades Education degree can help you become a licensed teacher in middle school classrooms. You’ll learn about effective teaching methods that can help your students learn, grow, and develop as they prepare to transition into high school.
If you’d like to expand your career opportunities, you also have the option to pursue a dual endorsement. By taking a few extra courses, you can graduate with licensure in both middle school education and another endorsement area, such as elementary education or special education. That way, you’ll have the flexibility to teach at various grade levels and stand out to employers.
For more information about dual endorsements, please contact one of our admissions counselors at (800) 424-9596.
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s MAT Program
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Middle School Teachers (viewed online January 5, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
**Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Unemployment rates and earnings by educational attainment (viewed online January 5, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.