Bolster Your Credentials as a Professional Educator with an MAT in Secondary Education Curriculum to EdS in School Curriculum and Instructional Planning
Students in middle and high school are at a critical point in their lives. Middle schoolers face many challenges as they transition into young adulthood, and high schoolers have to start making important decisions about the future – such as what career they want to pursue and what their plans are for college. As an educator, you have the opportunity to help these students make wise decisions and achieve success in their personal, professional, and academic endeavors.
Take the next step in your education career with Liberty’s online Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) – Secondary Education Curriculum to Education Specialist (EdS) in School Curriculum and Instructional Planning. Through this online dual degree program, you can meet the requirements for earning initial teaching licensure in the state of Virginia** while receiving advanced educational training at both the master’s and postgraduate level.
By pursuing your online Master of Arts in Teaching and Education Specialist degrees at the same time, you can finish these degrees faster than you would if you completed them separately – and you can earn valuable credentials that could help set you apart from the competition. Whether you want to teach at a public or private school, our Master of Arts in Teaching – Secondary Education Curriculum to EdS in School Curriculum and Instructional Planning can help bolster your knowledge of evidence-based classroom practices and teaching methods.
Partner with us and prepare to make a difference in the lives of the children you teach.
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
**Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved MAT to EdS program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
Why Choose Liberty’s MAT – Online Secondary Education Degree to EdS in School Curriculum Degree?
At Liberty, we don’t just train educators – we train educators who want to make a positive impact on the next generation. We want to help you reach your goals, so we’re making our MAT to EdS more flexible, affordable, and accessible. Upon successful completion of required coursework, practicums, student teaching, and licensure exams, you can become eligible for a Virginia state teaching license.
Our MAT in Secondary Education degree to Education Specialist degree online is designed to fit your busy schedule. You can complete most of your assignments from the comfort of your home – and you’ll have the freedom to complete your practicum and student teaching requirements at an approved location near you. That way, you can get the practical, hands-on training and skills you need to become a licensed educator without leaving your area.
At Liberty, you won’t have to sacrifice quality for flexibility. Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Additionally, Liberty is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) – so you can rest assured that our degree programs are of the highest quality.
Typically, EdS programs require a master’s degree for admission – but by choosing this dual degree program, you can start your MAT and EdS at the same time with just a bachelor’s degree. Additionally, this program requires fewer credit hours than the individual MAT and EdS degrees combined – saving you time and money.
What Will You Learn in Our MAT in Secondary Education to Online EdS Degree in School Curriculum and Instructional Planning?
In this program, you’ll explore practical methods for teaching secondary students as well as dive into the theory and practice of curricular design and instructional planning. As you work through the program, you can complete the content competencies and field experience requirements needed to become a licensed educator.
Some of the topics you’ll study include instructional strategies for diverse learners, principles of behavior management, literacy, and instructional procedures. You’ll also dive into educational philosophy, theories of learning, curricular design, and advanced tests and measurements. The degree completion plan includes room for several elective courses, giving you the chance to personalize your degree and study topics that are most relevant to your desired career path. The elective courses can also be used to fulfill outstanding content competencies needed to achieve initial state teaching licensure – bringing you one step closer to becoming a licensed educator.
In addition to completing online courses, you’ll participate in practicum and student teaching placements at an approved location near you. That way, you can put your skills to the test and gain hands-on experience that can help you boost your résumé and graduate career-ready.
- EDLC 510 – Instructional Strategies for Diverse Learners
- EDLC 623 – Principles of Behavior Management
- EDLC 704 – Advanced Educational Philosophy and Theories of Learning
- EDLC 772 – Theory in Curricular Design
Course guides coming soon
Highlights of Liberty’s Master of Arts in Teaching Program Online to EdS in School Curriculum and Instructional Planning
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online dual degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- Our MAT to EdS dual degree program is approved by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE).
- This program is designed to help you pursue initial teaching licensure for grades 6-12.
- You can complete your MAT to EdS in as little as 2.5 years!
- This program may help you become eligible for certification through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- Receive in-the-field training with 90 practicum hours and 1 semester of student teaching.
MAT in Secondary Education to EdS in School Curriculum Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires a background check.
- Complete at least 90 practicum hours and at least 1 full semester of student teaching prior to graduation.
- This program can help you achieve your initial teaching licensure.
- Upon completion of an eligible Graduate Education program, you may be eligible for certification through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- Review the State-Specific Approval Disclosures.
Military Benefits for Our Master of Arts in Teaching Online Program to EdS in School Curriculum and Instructional Planning
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate and postgraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for MAT to EdS Graduates
- Curriculum coordinator
- High school teacher
- Instructional designer
- Middle school teacher
- Private/Christian school teacher
- Public school teacher
Admission Requirements for the Online Master of Arts in Teaching Program to EdS in School Curriculum Degree
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.