Take Your Next Steps Towards a Career in Secondary Education with a Master of Arts in Teaching Degree
Do you want to pursue a career in the education field and become a licensed secondary education teacher? Whether you have always aimed for a career in secondary education, or you are looking to make a career change, we can help set a clear path for you to obtain your initial teaching licensure. Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) – Secondary Education online degree program can help you achieve your career goals.
What is secondary education?
Secondary education is high school, defined by most states as grades 9 through 12 in the K-12 primary school system. Depending on your state, the exact grades defined as secondary may differ, or include lower grades for the purposes of teacher licensure. If you want to pursue teaching licensure for your state, you can complete our program and apply for reciprocity. See your state’s Department of Education website for more details.
We have created our online MAT in Secondary Education degree program with your success in mind. You can complete this program in less than 2 years while continuing to work and devote time to your family and community. Our goal is to support you as both a student and as a teaching professional.
Additionally, Liberty University’s online teaching degree allows you to pursue multiple areas of study. Many students choose to pursue a dual endorsement to expand their career options. For more information, please review the MAT career section below.
Why Choose Liberty’s M.A.T. in Secondary Education Online Degree Program?
We don’t just train educators — we train educators who want to make a positive impact on the next generation. It’s who you are and who you aspire to become. We want to help you reach your goals, so we’re making a masters degree more affordable.
Choosing Liberty means that you don’t have to compromise your principles to get the education you need. Liberty University’s 100% online secondary education program was designed to train ethical and effective teachers. At Liberty University, our online teaching degree will be based in a foundation of biblical principles that will make you stand out in the market.
You can add to your skill set, broaden your professional capacity, and make a bigger impact on your students with an online graduate degree in education from Liberty University.
Additionally, the Master of Arts in Teaching – Secondary Education online degree program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). You can trust that your degree will be credible and recognized by schools around the nation.
As you research secondary education degrees online, you may have questions about how an MAT from Liberty University can help you meet your career goals. Below are some common questions about online secondary education teaching degrees.
Can I teach without a secondary education degree?
Bachelor’s degrees such as Liberty’s Bachelor of Education (BEd) offer licensure track training for teaching licensure. If you already have a bachelor’s degree and do not meet state requirements for teaching licensure, a licensure-track masters in secondary education can be the best path forward for meeting your career goals.
Without a license, you may teach in limited, non-licensure roles such as in private school settings, homeschool, tutoring, and ministry settings. You may also be able to meet your state’s specific licensure requirements outside of a degree program. However, states will always require that you fulfill specific course requirements and hands-on teaching minimums. Earning Liberty’s masters in secondary education online can be the most straightforward way to meet all of the requirements for state licensure in teaching.
Can I teach middle school with a secondary education degree?
Liberty University’s MAT programs are designed to meet licensure requirements for specified grade levels in the state of Virginia. Depending on how your state defines middle grades, the content in Liberty’s MAT program can allow you to apply for reciprocity for middle grades teaching. You can refer to your state’s Department of Education website for details about specific requirements for middle grades licensure.
Can secondary education teachers teach college courses?
Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Teaching is a graduate program that provides 36 credit hours of specialized teaching content. Often, colleges and universities will require a minimum of 18 credit hours of graduate courses to be eligible to teach that topic at the college level. These requirements may differ from school to school, but Liberty University’s masters in teaching will equip you with advanced education training that can open the door to potential college-level teaching roles.
What Will You Learn in the Master of Arts in Teaching – Secondary Education?
The online Master of Arts in Teaching provides a balance of essential education theory and hands-on, practical teaching skills. Throughout this program, you will have a core of learning theory, important studies in the historical and philosophical foundations of education, and foundations of exceptionality in education. You will also learn about critical assessment tools that enable schools to measure student learning and make improvements. Your secondary education track will prepare you to work with grades 6-12 and prepare you with topics like curriculum development and behavior management.
Here are some of the specific subjects you will study throughout your program:
- Educational behavior and development
- Theories and methodologies of education
- Current trends in the education field
- Methods of teaching and classroom management
- EDUC 539 – Current Issues in Content Areas
- EDUC 571 – Curriculum Fundamentals
- EDUC 623 – Principles of Behavior Management
Benefits of an Online Teaching Degree
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online Master of Arts in Teaching – Secondary Education degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we actually lowered our tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full time (at least 9 hours per semester), Liberty University’s MAT is now available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- Pursuing our online Master of Arts in Teaching licensure-track may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- This online teaching degree is NCATE accredited through CAEP.
- You can achieve your state teaching licensure in less than 2 years.
- Because this is an online degree, you will have the opportunity to network with educators from across the country.
Masters of Arts in Teaching Information
- Download and explore the Degree Completion Plan.
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires a background check.
- Students will complete a semester of student teaching/internship.
- This program will help you achieve your initial teaching licensure.
- Our program is eligible for certification through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
Master of Arts in Teaching Secondary Education Helpful Links and Information
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- The discounted tuition rate of $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
What Career Can You Pursue with a Master of Arts in Teaching Secondary Education?
- The secondary education M.A.T. program is designed to get you into a high school classroom as a licensed teacher!
- Students may also choose to pursue a dual endorsement. By taking a few extra courses, students can graduate with licensure in secondary education and another endorsement area, such as elementary education, middle grades, or special education.
Admission Requirements for Online Graduate Programs
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.