Ph.D. in Psychology – Admission Requirements
These requirements also apply to the Executive Certificate in Psychology.
- Apply online or call (800) 424-9596 to apply to a degree program with an Admissions Counselor.
- A non-refundable, non-transferable $50 application fee will be posted on the current application upon enrollment (waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required).
- Official college transcripts (sealed, unopened copies or via a direct electronic transcript system) showing a regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with at least a 3.0 GPA for admission in good standing. These transcripts must also show completion of 12 credit hours of undergraduate or graduate courses in general psychology, statistics, research methods, and 1 additional area of psychology. If these prerequisites were met at the undergraduate level, transcripts showing the bachelor’s degree information will also be required for admission.
- Contact information for 2 recommenders is required (approved recommenders are the student’s former college professors or supervisors).
- Statement of Purpose is required (1,000-1,500 words, double spaced).
- Departmental approval is required.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or an approved alternate test of English proficiency: the Duolingo English test, International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the International Test of English Proficiency (iTEP). Applicants must earn a minimum score of 105 on the Duolingo English test, 80 on the Internet-based TOEFL, a 3.9 on the iTEP, a 6.5 on the IELTS, or an equivalent score on an approved alternate test for all graduate degree programs. Applicants who have an earned degree from a college or university in the U.S. or other English-speaking country or school may have the TOEFL requirement waived by the Office of Graduate Admissions. Alternatively, applicants who successfully complete the levels of English-Second-Language (ESL) instruction indicated below at 1 of 2 schools will have the TOEFL requirement waived. Students will have their application held until transcripts from one of the below schools are received.
If you are sending in a preliminary transcript for acceptance, you must:
- Be in your final term and planning to start your doctoral degree after the last day of class for your master’s degree
- Submit a transcript to confirm that you are in your final term
- Send in an additional, final official transcript with a conferral date on it by the end of your first semester of enrollment
Official College Transcript Policy
An acceptable official college transcript must be issued directly from the institution in a sealed envelope with a signature across the back. If you have one in your possession, it must meet the same requirements.
Liberty University Admissions Office Contact Information
Email for questions:
Email for sending documents: