Research Methods and Statistics in Psychology I – PSYC 510

CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 11/12/2020

Course Description

Overview of research methodology and statistical techniques for psychological research. Emphasis on the three basic types of research - descriptive, predictive, and experimental. Also, addresses ethics in research. A computer software package is used for analysis of data.

For information regarding prerequisites for this course, please refer to the Academic Course Catalog.


Psychology is a research-based science, therefore its use for statistics in accurately interpreting data is imperative for understanding research. This course is designed to provide the student with an understanding of research methology and statistical analysis. This course will also further equip the student to succeed in subsequent statistics courses within his or her field of study.

Measurable Learning Outcomes

Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:

  1. Describe the basic concepts of probability and statistics.
  2. Analyze psychological data, both by hand and with SPSS.
  3. Use critical thinking to solve everyday problems related to behavior and mental processes.
  4. Apply statistics within a biblical worldview.
  5. Communicate the results of data analysis in appropriate APA format.
  6. Evaluate ethical principles and standards within the context of research in psychology.

Course Assignment

Textbook readings and lecture presentations

Course Requirements Checklist

After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.

Discussion Board Forums (2)

Discussion boards are collaborative learning experiences. Therefore, the student is required to create a thread in response to the provided prompt for each forum. Each thread must be at least 400 words and demonstrate course-related knowledge. In addition to the thread, the student is required to reply to 2 other classmates’ threads. Each reply must be at least 200 words. These assignments align with the follow MLOs: A, C, D, and F.

Homework (8)

Most assignments are SPSS-based and depend on information gained from the Reading & Study material in the assigned module/week. These assignments align with the follow MLOs: A, B, C, D, E, and F.

Exams (4)

Each exam will be open-book/open-notes, contain 40 multiple-choice questions, and have a time limit of 1 hour and 30 minutes. Approximately 75% of the content on the exam will be from the Reading & Study material for the previous 2 modules/weeks; the remaining 25% is cumulative. These assignments align with the follow MLOs: A, C, D, E, and F.