Integrate Faith and Behavioral Science with a Ph.D. in Psychology – Theology
Some of the most successful programs to help people overcome problems combine the science of psychology with biblical truths. This is because the Bible and theology help unlock the mysteries of human psychology and spirituality. Liberty University’s Ph.D. in Psychology – Theology provides a specialized course of study that can help you gain the research skills necessary to understand, use, and produce research in human behavior to solve real-world problems.
Liberty’s online psychology and theology degree provides rigorous research training that can prepare you for a career helping others in church and ministry settings or teaching and conducting research at colleges and universities. Liberty’s online Ph.D. in Psychology is ideal for students who want to bring new knowledge of human behavior to the field and help find new ways to address wide-reaching social issues from a biblical worldview.
We believe that this degree can help you fulfill your calling in the field of research psychology while gaining the advantage of our integrated approach to research. This specialized training can equip you to go into the world as a Champion for Christ and tackle a variety of psychological and social problems.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Ph.D. in Psychology?
Liberty’s Ph.D. in Psychology – Theology is designed with an online format that emphasizes flexibility. Completing your course content online allows you to take your classes from home without traveling to campus. However, this program still provides a community of psychology professionals and the option to take intensive courses to allow you to connect in person. In addition to saving you time, the online format allows you to save money on travel and tuition costs.
Earning a Ph.D. in Psychology online with Liberty means that you can be trained to engage with research and psychological practice critically and biblically. We listened to our students who asked us to design a degree that focused on the integration of faith and psychological science.
Throughout this program, Liberty integrates a biblical worldview foundation. Furthermore, the School of Behavioral Sciences and John W. Rawlings School of Divinity have partnered to provide you with a truly unique educational opportunity. Our caring faculty are devoted to training you personally, spiritually, and academically.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Our Doctorate in Psychology and Theology?
Liberty’s online Ph.D. in Psychology – Theology is designed to build on your previous study and experience in human psychology while integrating theological research. As a research degree, the purpose of this program is to produce scholars who are equipped to evaluate and produce research. The theology area of study focuses on integrating different research and theological methods to produce original works and thought regarding psychological phenomena.
Through this program, you can:
- Learn how an appreciation of biblical values enhances psychological practice by putting human value at the forefront of technique and theory.
- Develop a well-grounded critical approach to psychological research and theory while integrating a biblical worldview into approaches to current issues in psychology.
- Explore the relationship between Christian theology and psychological science.
- Master psychological research and writing techniques that may help establish your work in the study of human behavior.
- Complete dissertation research through your program with mentorship from your professors.
This program is 100% online, but we also offer the option of taking some courses in a face-to-face intensive format if you desire. This can provide the opportunity to network with other students and make a more personal connection with your professors.
One of the unique aspects of this program is that you will be taught by professors in the School of Behavioral Sciences and John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
View the Degree Completion Plan, and check out our featured courses below for more information.
- PSYC 700 – Foundations of Doctoral Study in Psychology
- PSYC 710 – Psychological Research and Biblical Worldview
- PSYC 820 – Seminar on the Integration of Theology and Psychology*
- THEO 650 – Public Theology
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our Psychology Doctoral Programs
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years – and counting.
- Our degrees allow you to apply biblical principles to advanced research techniques through courses like Psychological Research and Biblical Worldview.
- Our theology specialization focuses on how to integrate principles of your faith with your research to produce outcomes that address the human mind in its totality.
Ph.D. in Theology and Psychology Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Potential Ph.D. in Psychology Jobs
Graduates of our program can pursue work in a variety of educational, research, or corporate settings. Graduates can be qualified to pursue jobs that meaningfully impact individual and societal change through research, writing, project management, or leading programs.
Some of the positions you may qualify for with this degree include:
- Christian counselor
- College professor
- Independent consultant
- Organizational mentor/consultant
Doctorate in Psychology Admission Requirements
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Contact information for 2 approved recommenders
- Statement of Purpose is required
- Departmental approval (as required by Graduate Admissions)
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.