Gain a Firm Understanding of Global Law with a Juris Master in International Legal Studies Degree
In an increasingly global economy, professionals need to understand how international law influences the functioning of business corporations, nonprofit organizations, mission agencies, and other enterprises. If you do not intend to practice law but want to understand international legal issues, Liberty’s online Juris Master (J.M.) in International Legal Studies is for you!
International law affects many industries, so it’s crucial that you understand the implications for your business or nonprofit. By studying advanced constitutional principles and global policies, you can become an invaluable asset at your organization. International law and policy experts are needed in every sector — so earning your master’s in international law online is a great way to expand your career opportunities and professional expertise.
Partner with us and learn how to help your organization navigate the global marketplace.
Can I practice law with a Juris Master degree?
A Juris Master degree is designed to complement professional experience and an academic background in another field, but it does not meet requirements to sit for the bar exam or practice law. The American Bar Association only approves Juris Doctor (J.D.) programs. If you want to become an attorney and practice international law, we encourage you to apply to our residential J.D. program.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Juris Master in International Legal Studies?
Earn a degree that fits your schedule. Our international law and legal studies program is available 100% online, and the classes have no set login times. You can complete your coursework from the comfort of your home and easily access your course materials whenever you need them. Most importantly, you can stay fully invested in the things that really matter — like your family, job, and community — while achieving your academic goals.
At Liberty, we’re committed to Training Champions for Christ. To fulfill this mission, we offer courses taught from a biblical perspective. Our faculty are firmly grounded in the Christian faith and can equip you to live out biblical ethics in your career.
Through our Juris Master program in international law, you’ll gain a firm understanding of crucial legal concepts without the commitment of a Juris Doctor degree. You can apply your newfound knowledge to a variety of careers and help lead your organization to success.
In this program, you’ll study under faculty with extensive legal experience. With their guidance, you can develop skills that will help set you apart from the competition. You’ll be equipped to lead with excellence and integrity in whatever career path you choose.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is international law?
International law is a body of policies, regulations, and treaties that govern how nations interact with each other. Many of these policies are determined by the General Assembly of the United Nations, and they are designed to promote peace, justice, and security on a global level.
How many years does it take to study international law?
You can complete Liberty’s master’s in international law school program in just 1 year. We offer a fast, flexible path to graduation that lets you earn your degree without putting your life on hold.
What is the difference between an LLM and a JM in International Legal Studies?
A Master of Laws (LLM) degree is designed to equip practicing lawyers with specialized legal knowledge. In contrast, a Juris Master (JM) degree is a great option for non-lawyer professionals who would benefit from an understanding of legal principles.
If you already have your Juris Doctor degree and want to boost your effectiveness as a lawyer, consider pursuing our online LLM in International Legal Studies.
What Will You Learn in Our Juris Master in International Law Program?
This program offers training in core legal subjects, like legal research and writing, professional ethics, jurisprudence, and legal history. Upon graduation, you can pursue international law jobs that don’t require a Juris Doctor degree. For instance, you could work in policy advisement, policy writing, or legal consulting.
Do you currently own a business or nonprofit that operates overseas? If so, you probably understand the importance of complying with international policies and regulations. Our J.M. in International Legal Studies can help you navigate complex legal issues on a global scale. That way, you’ll be equipped to help your organization grow and thrive.
The international legal studies specialization offers a variety of courses to choose from — so you can tailor your degree to match your interests and career goals! Some topics you could study include diplomacy, human rights, public policy, trade law, armed conflict policies, business law, economics, or public law.
- JURI 630 – International Business Law
- JURI 650 – International Trade Law
- JURI 660 – International Law and Diplomacy
- JURI 670 – The Law of Armed Conflict
Highlights of Our International Law Online Master’s Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your Juris Master degree online from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years — and counting.
- Liberty is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Earn your online master’s in legal studies in just 1 year!
- The courses in this program are only 8 weeks long, with 8 different start dates offered each year and no set login times.
- As an online student, you can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal.
- You can network with legal experts from across the country while completing your master’s in international law and diplomacy.
Juris Master – Online International Law Degree Information
- This Juris Master online program falls under the School of Law.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for our international law master’s degree.
- View the Graduate Law Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our JM in International Law Degree Online
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Juris Master in International Law – Career Opportunities
In this program, you’ll gain legal knowledge that will be helpful in a variety of fields, including:
- Government leadership
- Human resources
- International business
- Mission organizations
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Juris Master in International Law Online Program
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Professional vita/résumé
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.