Practice Law and Learn Foreign Policy with Liberty University’s LLM in International Law Online
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Laws (LLM) in International Legal Studies is a terminal degree that builds on your legal experience and skills by providing you with advanced studies in international law and policy.
A master’s in international law online can make you a versatile asset in a variety of legal advisement and law practice roles. Understanding the boundaries and overlap of American and foreign legal systems can make a critical difference.
The online LLM in International Legal Studies degree will give you a solid theological and philosophical foundation through the study of treaties, customary international law, and other principles of legal practice in foreign and international settings.
Is an LLM worth it?
As you’re considering your LLM in international law degree online, you are probably wondering if it will be worth your time, money, and effort – and we believe it is.
According to PayScale, the average salary for attorneys who hold a Juris Doctor (JD) is $84,837.* Professionals who take the extra step to earn an LLM earn an average yearly salary of $132,500.** That is a 56% increase in pay, and it could make all the difference for you and your family.
What does LLM stand for in law?
LLM stands for Master of Laws. This is a law degree that focuses on a particular area of law and can increase a lawyer’s job opportunities and salary potential.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online LLM Program?
Do you currently practice law in a field that consistently encounters foreign and domestic legal interaction? The online Master of Laws in International Legal Studies can help provide the training you need to expertly navigate the difficulty of overlapping interests.
Whether your discipline is in politics, business, or international missions, branching out from your current practice to an international market may be your next career move. The online LLM degree will give you a thorough grounding in the intricacies of foreign governments and how policies affect companies and organizations who work in global markets.
The online Master of Laws degree gives you a flexible, 100% online path to studying the critical legal practices and theories that can help you succeed in an increasingly complicated global market.
Can you go to law school online?
Yes – Liberty University’s School of Law offers 100% online degrees and one of the best online LLM degree programs available to law professionals. Here’s why:
- You have the flexibility to complete your degree whenever and wherever is most convenient to you. Our online LLM in international legal practice can fit into your life as a busy professional.
- Our professors are experienced attorneys, judges, and law professionals. They are ready to share their expertise with you as you pursue this advanced credential.
- Liberty University’s mission is Training Champions for Christ. This means all our coursework is taught from a Christian perspective to help you hone your skills as an ethical leader of integrity.
What can you do with an LLM in the US?
An LLM is similar to a JD because it can help you obtain positions in law as an attorney, policy analyst, or even a judge. However, an LLM like our online international law degree program provides specialized legal knowledge in a specific area of law. This can help you gain a position in the exact firm that you want, and it will more than likely increase the number of job offers and pay that may be available to you.
In the United States, you may end up working as a U.S. representative for the United Nations or an international specialist with an NGO or federal agency.
Is an LLM higher than a JD?
Yes – in order to pursue an LLM, you must have already earned a Juris Doctor (JD). An LLM is geared towards practicing lawyers or JD graduates who would like specialized knowledge in a particular area of law.
What Will You Learn in Our International Law Online Master’s Degree?
The online LLM program is designed to provide legal professionals and practicing lawyers additional expertise in the international sphere with studies in foreign policies, international business regulations, and other forms of overlapping governance that affect global markets. The core content of the online LLM program provides legal foundations, research, and legal writing training. Throughout this program, you will receive academic support for original scholarly research in the Legal Research and Writing capstone project.
Students will choose from numerous advanced legal studies electives to meet the specific needs of their field. This includes general backgrounds in law and economics or legal history to give context to contemporary international legal challenges.
Students in the online Master of Laws in International Legal Studies may also choose specialized international legal studies topics such as business law, trade policy, legal issues in diplomacy, international human rights, and legal issues in armed conflict. With this flexible selection of advanced international legal studies courses, students in the online LLM program will be equipped for many roles within business, government, and nonprofit settings.
The final Legal Research and Writing capstone is delivered in two parts and provides students in the online LLM degree with an opportunity to demonstrate their expertise. Students will be given research mentorship by leading legal scholars from Liberty University’s School of Law. The research from this project can be used as the basis for future publishing or doctoral studies.
Online LLM International Law Featured Courses
- JURI 610 – Jurisprudence/Legal History
- JURI 630 – International Business Law
- JURI 660 – International Law and Diplomacy
- JURI 680 – International Human Rights
Program Highlights for Our International Law Master’s Degree Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online law master’s degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete our Master of Laws degree online in as little as 1 year.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
Master of Laws Online Program Information
- This program falls under the School of Law.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the online Graduate Law Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for the Online Master’s in International Law and Diplomacy
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Potential Career Options for Graduates of Liberty University’s Online Law School
This online LL.M. program is helpful for legal and policy advisement roles, as well as those in advanced legal practice in international settings or dealing with foreign governments. The online LL.M. program also prepares students for doctoral studies, academic scholarship, and may open opportunities for college-level instruction. Potential career options include:
- Domestic and foreign policy analyst
- International legal practice specialist
- Political relations lawyer
Admission Requirements for Our Online Master’s Degree in International Law and Diplomacy
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. The applicant must have a Juris Doctor from an accredited U.S. law school or a first law degree (LL.B. or the equivalent) from a foreign law school. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Professional vita/résumé
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
NOTE: All admissions requirements must be submitted through the student’s LSAC account.
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.