Coordinate and Collaborate to Protect Your Community with Liberty’s MS in Public Safety – Homeland Security
Public safety is an all-encompassing term that typically refers to multiple departments or levels of government. Understanding the collaborative and interdisciplinary nature of public safety management and administration can be the key to a smooth process. If you would like to further your current career in public safety or shift to a new one, Liberty’s Master of Science (MS) in Public Safety – Homeland Security can help you gain the skills you need. Learn how to coordinate with multiple agencies at varying levels of government to ensure the safety of the public.
A public safety administration master’s degree can help you pursue a wide range of positions within the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and other agencies at all levels of government. If you’re passionate about protecting the public from harm, this degree can help you fill the need for qualified leaders in first response and public safety organizations. Liberty’s Helms School of Government saw the need for a degree that would synthesize best practices in public administration and governance to bolster the work of front-line first responders and public safety professionals – and our master’s degree in safety administration does just that.
Our country needs people who are dedicated to providing for the public’s safety and security. Whether you are interested in homeland security or hometown security, we want to partner with you as you seek to develop a cohesive and collaborative approach to public safety.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s Degree in Public Safety?
As a public safety professional, you have an important job to do – so it’s important that you choose carefully when deciding where to get your public safety master’s. By choosing Liberty, you’re choosing a well-respected, globally recognized, accredited university. You’re also choosing flexible course scheduling and academic excellence that is grounded in Christian principles and values.
What is public safety management?
Every day, we rely on various services that ensure our safety and security. The general term for these services — which are usually run by governmental agencies at all levels — is “public safety.” Public safety is not just handled by one agency or one level of government but is a multijurisdictional, multilevel, and interdisciplinary task. We need people at local, state, and federal levels who can help manage and govern these agencies and develop a unified approach to this critical work.
If you are a public safety professional or are looking to become one, then Liberty’s MS in Public Safety – Homeland Security can help you become a positive force in the field. Whether you are fighting terrorism or responding to a hurricane, fire, or flood, we want to partner with you to make a difference.
Liberty University’s mission of Training Champions for Christ is central to all we do. Every professor in your program is committed to teaching from a biblical perspective. We understand that while you pursue your degree, you’ll still have family, work, and community obligations. That’s why this public safety degree can be completed 100% online with 8-week courses and no set login times. You can stay committed to your mission of protecting your community and providing for your family while gaining important skills needed in the field.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s in Public Safety – Homeland Security Degree?
Our homeland security master’s program offers a broad, up-to-date, multidisciplinary overview of homeland security as well as additional training on public safety leadership and administration. You can learn about leadership principles and practices applicable to the management and administration of public safety organizations. Specifically, you can learn how to function as a leader in your organization and in a collaborative, multijurisdictional, and incorporative public safety environment.
Your core courses will cover a variety of subjects such as crisis and first responder training skills and techniques and an introduction to disaster management. You’ll also learn about terrorism and the overarching goals of homeland security as it relates to emergency management and public safety. Additionally, you can learn about the structure of both the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and other public sector organizations.
You will also study how to mitigate hazards so you are not caught unaware or unprepared. You can learn how to determine best practices for risk assessment by studying hazard identification, vulnerability assessment, and impact analysis as an integrated process. Protecting your community from various hazards begins with learning how to mitigate danger and create redundant systems.
In addition, you can learn about the various legal issues that deal not only with homeland security but with all levels of public safety and government. Understanding the history, laws, and legal issues affecting safety and security can help you be better prepared as you work to protect your home and community.
- HLSC 510 – Homeland Security Organization and Administration
- HLSC 610 – Understanding Terrorism and Homeland Security
- HLSC 620 – Hazard Mitigation
- PADM 510 – Fundamentals of Public Safety Leadership*
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our Online Public Safety Administration Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online master’s in homeland security degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), so you can rest assured that your degree program has met rigorous accreditation standards.
- Make the most of your time in service to your community by earning credit for your professional experience through our Experience Plus program.
- You can complete your public safety master’s degree in 1 year, which allows you to start putting what you’ve learned into practice sooner.
Public Safety Master’s Program Information
- This program falls under the Helms School of Government.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View this online program’s Graduate Government Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Public Safety Graduate Programs
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for Master’s in Public Safety Administration Degree – Homeland Security Graduates
- Emergency management director
- First responder/crisis response officer
- Homeland security director
- Homeland security planner
- Law enforcement officer
- Public safety compliance officer
- Public safety training officer
- Security management consultant
Admission Requirements for the MS in Public Safety – Homeland Security Degree
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.