Pursue Justice and Advance Your Legal Understanding with an MS in Criminal Justice – Legal Studies
Do you have a passion for justice and a desire to deepen your understanding of the law? Maybe you want to advance in your criminal justice organization, and you need a degree that can help you stand out. With a Master of Science (MS) in Criminal Justice – Legal Studies from Liberty University, you can further your legal knowledge and prepare for advanced positions in the criminal justice sector. As you pursue your criminal justice and legal studies degree, you can take an in-depth look at the inner workings of the law while bolstering your résumé and taking the next step toward achieving your career goals.
There is an ongoing need for strong police and criminal justice organizations – and by honing your legal knowledge, you can help ensure that these organizations effectively protect the public. At Liberty, you’ll have the opportunity to sharpen your criminal justice skills and develop new methods for handling a wide range of challenges posed to criminal justice organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Criminal Justice and Legal Studies Online Degree?
We know that you have a passion for both the law and justice, and at Liberty, our professors share that passion. Throughout your criminal justice degree, you can lean on their expertise and years of real-world experience as you seek to develop an advanced understanding of criminal justice and the legal system.
At Liberty, you don’t have to sacrifice quality for flexibility. With courses that are offered 100% online and no set login times, you can pursue your criminal justice and legal studies degree online while remaining involved with your family, career, and other commitments. You can take courses wherever you are at times convenient for you.
Our professors have terminal degrees and years of experience in fields related to law and criminal justice – so you can be confident that you are receiving a world-class education. Our faculty are not only leading experts in academia – many of them have also worked with or for agencies like the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), police departments, and other professional law enforcement agencies at the federal, state, and local levels.
Generous Discount for Active Duty Law Enforcement and Other First Responders
Liberty University is committed to providing world-class education and aims to help students achieve their educational goals — in whatever way we can. The First Responder Tuition Discount was created to take some of the financial burdens of tuition off the men and women who work in public service.
As Liberty University’s way of saying “Thank you,” we proudly provide you with the following benefits:
- A 25% tuition discount
- Potential college credit for training and life experience
- Personalized service throughout your educational journey
- Potential stacking with other tuition benefits (Corporate Advantage Program or Military Benefits)
For more information on eligibility and claiming this discount, please visit the First Responder Discount page.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a master’s in law online, a master’s in legal studies online, and an MS in Criminal Justice – Legal Studies?
A Master of Legal Studies program – often referred to as a Juris Master – is designed to sharpen your understanding of the law and various legal procedures. If you’re not looking to become a lawyer but want to develop specialized legal skills, a master’s in legal studies can help you gain valuable legal knowledge that applies to your industry.
In contrast, a master’s in law online – or a Master of Laws (LLM) degree – is designed to help practicing lawyers and those who have already been to law school further their legal knowledge.
The main difference between these 2 programs and our MS in Criminal Justice – Legal Studies is that, in the latter program, we integrate criminal justice and legal studies so that various laws are examined within the context of criminal justice. This well-rounded base of knowledge can help you pursue a wide variety of exciting career paths.
Can you be a lawyer with a degree in criminal justice?
In order to become a lawyer, there are specific requirements that must be met. While our MS in Criminal Justice – Legal Studies isn’t designed to meet American Bar Association (ABA) standards or help you sit for the Bar Exam, it could help you prepare for law school.
If you’re thinking about pursuing a law degree at a later time, our MS in Criminal Justice – Legal Studies can serve as an excellent stepping stone.
Is a masters in criminal justice worth it?
We know that college is a big investment – that is why at Liberty, we offer top-notch criminal justice training at an affordable price. Those with master’s degrees earned on average $12,480 more per year than their bachelor’s-wielding counterparts.*
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Education Pays, 2020 (viewed online November 29, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in Our MS in Criminal Justice – Legal Studies Degree?
You will begin this program by taking courses in human resource management, criminal justice administration, leadership, ethics, and policing. You will also take legal studies courses that focus on constitutional law, criminal law, criminal procedure, and foundations of law.
In our constitutional law course, you will dive into topics like the framework for the Constitution, judicial review, due process, and equal protection. You will also study topics such as the elements of crime and Western legal tradition.
In addition to the wide variety of courses that you will take, you are also able to either complete a thesis or complete elective courses to further sharpen your legal and criminal justice knowledge.
- JURI 520 – Constitutional Law
- JURI 540 – Criminal Law
- JURI 575 – Criminal Procedure*
- JURI 600 – Foundations of Law
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our MS in Criminal Justice – Legal Studies Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online master’s degree in criminal justice from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 9 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Liberty University is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). You can be confident that your degree meets rigorous academic standards.
- Benefit from legal courses taught by Liberty University’s School of Law and integrate that knowledge with courses taught by our Helms School of Government.
- You can complete this online criminal justice degree in as little as 1.5 years!
MS in Criminal Justice – Legal Affairs Degree Information
- This program falls under the Helms School of Government.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Government Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Criminal Justice and Legal Studies Degree Online
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for MS in Criminal Justice – Legal Studies Online Graduates
As a graduate of our online criminal justice and legal studies degree, you can prepare to pursue the following positions:
- Chief of police
- Corrections officer
- Internal affairs administrator/officer
- Probation officer
- Senior police officer
Admission Requirements for Our MS in Criminal Justice – Legal Studies Online Degree
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.