Lead Your School to Success with a Higher Education Specialist Online Degree
Do you want to work as a school administrator at a public, private, or community college? If so, Liberty’s online Education Specialist (Ed.S.) in Higher Education Administration degree is for you!
Our program can help equip you to pursue educational leadership roles at the university level. You’ll receive advanced training in areas like student affairs, educational technology, and policy analysis. With this knowledge, you can help foster a positive learning environment for students and faculty at your institution.
Liberty’s Ed.S. degree is offered fully online, providing the flexibility you need to take the next step in your academic journey. Partner with us and train to lead as a Champion for Christ in the workplace — and beyond.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Ed.S. Program Online?
At Liberty, our mission is to Train Champions for Christ. In keeping with this mission, we’ve designed our educational specialist degree online with your success in mind.
This program is offered 100% online, and the courses have no set login times. You can complete your coursework whenever and wherever it’s most convenient for you — even from the comfort of your home! And you can stay invested in your family, job, and community while pursuing a degree that could help take your career to the next level.
By earning an Ed.S. degree online, you could potentially advance in your current field, earn a higher salary, or even launch a new career altogether! In this program, you’ll study under professors who have years of experience working in higher education administration. And, if you later decide to further your education, most of the credits from this degree can transfer seamlessly into our PhD in Higher Education Administration — allowing you to earn your doctorate much faster!
If you want to study a rigorous curriculum taught from a Christian worldview, then Liberty is for you! Our courses seek to integrate biblical standards with professional knowledge. You’ll learn how to live out ethical principles in the workplace, so you can stand out as a person of integrity.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an Ed.S. program?
An Ed.S. is a post-graduate degree designed to equip students with advanced skills and credentials. In this program, you can develop a more in-depth understanding of how to serve effectively in educational leadership roles. This degree is a great option for professionals who want to continue their education beyond the master’s level without having to complete a dissertation.
What is the difference between an Ed.S. and an Ed.D.?
Our Ed.S. and Ed.D. programs both seek to equip students with the practical, marketable skills needed to pursue educational leadership positions. However, these degrees have a key difference — an Ed.D. is a doctorate while an Ed.S. lies between a master’s and a doctoral degree.
What is the difference between an Ed.S. and a PhD?
A PhD is a doctorate while an Ed.S. is a post-graduate degree. In other words, an Ed.S. is a step above a master’s and a step below a doctoral degree. Additionally, while a PhD focuses on research and theory and helps equip students for teaching roles, an Ed.S. is a great option for those seeking an education career outside the classroom.
Is an Ed.S. a doctoral degree?
No — while an Ed.S. does provide knowledge and training beyond the master’s level, it is not a doctoral degree. However, completing Liberty’s online Ed.S. program can prepare you to later pursue a doctorate, such as our online PhD in Higher Education Administration.
How long does it take to get an Ed.S. degree?
You can complete Liberty’s Ed.S. online program in as little as 2 years. We offer a fast, flexible path to graduation that lets you further your education without putting your life on hold.
Can you teach college with an Ed.S.?
While this program is primarily designed to provide vocational knowledge, earning your Ed.S. can also help you pursue a career as an educator.
What Will You Learn in Our Ed.S. in Higher Education Online Program?
In this online educational specialist degree program, you’ll complete several core courses in higher education. These courses provide an in-depth look at the economic, historical, and administrative aspects of higher education. By exploring the social, cultural, and psychological matters that impact college students, you can prepare to foster a learning environment that helps students grow and succeed.
Learn how to guide your school through challenges related to program development, accreditation, legal issues, and more. This Ed.S. degree online dives into important aspects of educational leadership, such as policy analysis, problem-solving, organizational analysis, conflict resolution, and educational technology. You’ll also explore how to help universities offer top-notch learning experiences to their students.
Liberty’s Ed.S. degree online also allows students to take an elective course of their choice, which means you can customize your degree to match your goals. In our advanced research and writing course, you will write and submit an article for publication.
Join us and gain the practical skills you need to improve your effectiveness as a higher education administrator.
- EDUC 758 – Teaching the College Student
- EDUC 782 – Historical Perspectives of Higher Education
- EDUC 798 – Advanced Research and Writing
Highlights of Earning Your Online Ed.S. at Liberty University
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your Ed.S. degree online from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years — and counting.
- Liberty is regionally accredited through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Some of the credits you earn in this program can be applied toward our Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) degree.
- Our Ed.S. courses are only 8 weeks long, with 8 different start dates offered each year and no set login times.
- You can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal while completing your online degree in higher education administration.
- In this program, you’ll learn how to address various administrative issues in higher education and equip your students for success.
Online Ed.S. in Higher Education Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for our Ed.S. degree online.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- Please note: This is a non-licensure program.
Military Benefits for Liberty University’s Higher Education Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
What Can I Do with an Ed.S. Degree in Higher Education Administration?
After completing this Ed.S. program online, you can pursue a variety of university leadership positions. Some of the roles you may qualify for include:
- Academic affairs specialist
- College administrator
- Educational technology specialist
- International education specialist
- Student affairs officer
Admission Requirements for Liberty University’s Education Specialist Degree Program
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.