Help Exceptional Students Learn and Thrive with Liberty’s Gifted and Special Education Master’s – Twice Exceptionalities Degree
Are you passionate about mentoring gifted students? Do you want to learn the niche aspects of working with children in special education programs? Maybe you’d like to teach students who are both gifted and disabled, or perhaps you’re looking to help students with special needs transition to postsecondary education and employment. You can gain the tools and credentials you need to work in all of these areas with Liberty’s online Master of Education (MEd) in Special and Gifted Education – Twice Exceptionalities degree.
This program includes add-on endorsements in Career and Technical Education (CTE)-Transition and Special Needs, Gifted Education, and Special Education General Curriculum – so you can boost your résumé and diversify your skill set. These endorsements are available to candidates with a current initial license in elementary, middle, or secondary education issued by the Virginia Board of Education.* Rolling these endorsements into the same degree is just one way we help you save time and money while providing the specialized training you need for your career.
If you are a licensed teacher looking to expand your expertise, our gifted and special education master’s is a great option. Our experienced faculty can help you learn how to serve students who are disabled, gifted, or twice exceptional (gifted with a disability) – so you can make a greater impact in your classroom. Earn your online master’s in special education and gifted education – twice exceptionalities today and learn how to mentor students at a variety of grade levels.
What’s included in this degree?
- CTE-Transition and Special Needs Endorsement: This add-on endorsement can help you prepare students with special needs for postsecondary education, employment, and/or independent living.
- Gifted Education Endorsement: This add-on endorsement can help you work with students who display advanced abilities and exceptionally high achievement in 1 or more areas.
- Special Education General Curriculum Endorsement: This add-on endorsement can help you serve students with disabilities who primarily follow the same curriculum as their peers (rather than a specially adapted curriculum).
- Twice Exceptionalities: This term refers to gifted students who also have a disability. Students in this category may need specialized mentorship and support in order to reach their full potential.
*Please note: The Special Education General Curriculum add-on endorsement only applies to the grade band of the initial license (e.g., elementary education). The Gifted Education and CTE add-on endorsements apply to K-12.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Master of Education in Special and Gifted Education – Twice Exceptionalities program, you may apply for reciprocity in another state, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
Please note: This program includes the steps necessary to pursue add-on endorsement, which requires initial licensure in teaching. If you do not have a teaching license yet, please see the Master of Arts in Teaching program.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master’s in Special Education and Gifted Education Degree – Twice Exceptionalities?
Liberty has been a pioneer in distance education since 1985 – and we’ve drawn on our years of experience to create a master’s in gifted and special education degree online that blends affordability, accessibility, and high-quality academics. At Liberty, you won’t just earn a degree – you’ll gain the knowledge, values, and skills you need to impact the world.
Here’s what sets us apart:
- Flexibility | Our Master of Education in special education and gifted education is designed to fit your busy schedule. With our online courses, you’ll have the freedom to earn your degree on a schedule that works for you. At Liberty, you can stay invested in your job, family, and community while taking the next step in your educational journey.
- Practical Training | As you pursue this special and gifted education graduate program, you won’t just learn from a textbook – you’ll have the opportunity to apply your skills in a real-world setting by completing practicums. That way, you can gain valuable experience that could help you stand out to hiring managers.
- Respected Credentials | Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Additionally, our special and gifted education master’s degree online is led by faculty with years of experience in the world of education – so you can be confident that you’re learning from industry experts.
- Multiple Endorsements | Liberty’s gifted and special education master’s program online was created to help licensed teachers work with K-12 students who are disabled, gifted, or twice exceptional. We’ve designed this degree to meet the competencies for 3 add-on endorsements, so you can get all the credentials you need in 1 program! Not only can these endorsements help you stand out to hiring managers – they can also help you better serve the students in your school.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s in Gifted and Special Education Degree Online?
This special and gifted education master’s program is divided into 3 parts: core courses, the twice exceptionalities specialization, and field experience courses. Together, these 3 areas can help provide the tools you need to make a difference in the lives of your students.
Within the core courses, you’ll study reading and language acquisition, methods for teaching mathematics, and gifted education program design. You can also learn how to create inclusive classrooms and ensure that students with exceptionalities have access to the same general education curriculum. Additionally, you’ll explore best practices in supporting the social, emotional, and academic needs of gifted students and learn how to teach them effectively.
Building on your core studies, the twice exceptionalities concentration is designed to help you work with gifted students who are also disabled. You’ll learn about the importance of recognizing students’ unidentified strengths and underlying disabilities – as well as how general educators, special educators, and gifted educators can work together to help meet these students’ unique needs.
Other topics of study include:
- Best practices for helping students with disabilities step into the workforce, postsecondary education, and independent living
- Characteristics of children with disabilities
- Disability law and legal foundations
- Identification and education of the gifted learner
To round out your gifted and special education master’s degree, you will complete practicum courses designed to help you put your skills to the test through hands-on experience.
- EDGL 520 – Twice-Exceptional Learners*
- EDGL 526 – Identification and Education of the Gifted Learner
- EDSP 522 – Special Education and Disability Law
- EDSP 525 – Transition and Assessment for Exceptional Learners
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our Gifted and Special Education Master’s Program Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have lowered tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students, Liberty University’s MEd online is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
Master of Education in Special Education and Gifted Education Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires a background check.
- Complete at least 90 practicum hours prior to graduation.
- This program requires initial teaching licensure.
- Review the State-Specific Approval Disclosures.
Military Benefits for Liberty’s Twice Exceptionalities Special and Gifted Education Graduate Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for MEd in Special and Gifted Education – Twice Exceptionalities Graduates
- Educational consultant
- Gifted teacher
- Instructional coordinator
- Special education teacher
- Transition specialist
Admission Requirements for Our Gifted and Special Education Master’s Program
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Current initial state teaching license in elementary, middle, or secondary education
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.