Investing in Child Literacy Begins with Liberty’s Masters in Education — Reading Specialist Program
Licensed reading specialists are needed in school systems to invest in and lead students to literacy success. Reading and comprehension skills are crucial for success in employment, personal growth, and communication.
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Education — Reading Specialist Endorsement degree program is an ideal track for you if you want to become a reading specialist. Throughout this degree program, you will learn from experts in education with experience showing teachers how to educate children in literacy.
What is a reading specialist?
A reading specialist is a certified expert in literacy programs designed to improve the reading level of elementary, middle, and high school students. With special training in how to help set kids up for success in school and to help struggling students get back on track, reading specialists are an essential part of school districts.
Reading specialists work as teachers, coaches, and program directors for literacy programs in grade school levels, and as such require initial licensure in most states. Liberty University’s Master of Education is an online reading specialist certification track program designed to help you get the training you need for this important role.
We don’t just train educators — we train educators who want to make a positive impact on the next generation. It’s who you are and who you aspire to become. We want to help you reach your goals, so we’re making a masters degree more affordable. You can add to your skillset, broaden your professional capacity, and make a bigger impact on your students with an online graduate degree in education from Liberty University.
Please note: This program includes the required steps to pursue add-on or advanced licensure, which require initial licensure in teaching. If you do not currently have a teaching license, please see the Master of Arts in Teaching program.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Reading Specialist Masters Program?
Liberty University strives to produce educators and school leaders who have dedicated their lives to educational leadership and who model high academic, moral, and spiritual standards before their peers. Concurrent with this goal, the graduate programs offered by the Liberty University School of Education are designed to prepare candidates for effective leadership in Christian, public, and private schools. Liberty University’s Master of Education — Reading Specialist Endorsement degree online will enact quality teaching techniques and methods to be applied in classroom settings.
While taking your reading specialist courses online, students pursuing a Reading Specialist Endorsement will take part in 3 on-campus intensives. Intensives provided on Liberty’s beautiful campus will enhance the educational experience through direct interactions with peers and professors. Students will enjoy the opportunity to explore the campus, collaborate with classmates, and seek answers from professors.
It is important to note that students seeking an add-on endorsement or advanced license must have an initial teaching license. The Master of Arts in Teaching online degree program is designed for first-time teachers.
Masters in Education Accreditation
- The program has been accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) standards through the CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation) Accreditation System.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACSCOC). Accreditation by SACSCOC means your degree will be recognized throughout the nation.
While researching reading specialist certification online programs, you may have questions about how Liberty’s reading endorsement online track can help you meet your goals. Here are some common questions about Liberty University’s reading specialist masters degree.
What does a reading specialist do?
Reading specialists work with children in elementary, middle, and secondary grades to identify and address reading challenges. They also work with schools to develop programs to encourage reading for fun, reading comprehension, and critical thinking skills. These skills will form the foundation of students’ education for the rest of their academic careers.
Reading specialists usually teach at a specific grade level with experience teaching and mentoring students of a specific age group, but these skills are transferrable to different levels. Reading specialists also work with colleges and universities to help develop education teaching courses for teacher educator programs.
What can you do with a reading specialist certification?
With a masters in reading, or MEd – Reading Specialist Endorsement, you can teach in public and private schools, as well as teach education courses at the college level. A reading specialist degree can help make you stand out from your peers by showing you have the ability to help your students in new and innovative ways. You can help your school and your school district reexamine how kids learn to approach reading and help them excel.
How do you become a reading specialist?
Liberty’s Master of Education — Reading Specialist Endorsement is designed to prepare you for advanced licensure as a reading specialist. Our online masters in reading specialist endorsement is accredited by NCATE through CAEP and provides opportunities to complete the required student teaching and internship hours to meet state licensure requirements.
After completing licensure requirements in the state of Virginia, you can then apply to transfer your licensure to your state. Please see your state’s Department of Education website for information about how you can transfer licensure.
What Will You Learn in Our Masters in Education in Reading Specialist Endorsement Online Program?
Liberty University’s M.Ed. programs are designed for advanced licensure. Students are required to complete an internship for each licensure track. To help prepare you for this, the Master of Education — Reading Specialist Endorsement degree online covers training on children and adolescents with disabilities, educational leadership, and legal and ethical issues faced by teachers.
Additionally, it establishes a comprehensive study of reading instruction and language acquisition principles, techniques, and materials for reading development.
In our Master of Education — Reading Specialist online program, you will learn skills and gain specialized knowledge in many essential content areas for reading literacy. Through your online courses, you will learn how to construct, organize, and implement a quality curriculum, which focuses on objectives, problems, and recent developments in various programs. You will receive training from our faculty of education professionals with years of teaching experience who will show you techniques in identification and intervention strategies, collaborations, and referrals.
At Liberty University, our mission is Training Champions for Christ. To continue this mission, we have created instructional competencies for teaching, reading, and study skills in our Master of Education in Reading Specialist Endorsement online degree.
- EDRS 650 – Trends and Inquiry for the Reading Specialist
- EDUC 521 – Foundations of Exceptionality
- EDUC 554 – Reading and Language Acquisition
- EDUC 641 – Supervision of Instruction
Degree Information and Requirements
- A 3-credit-hour internship is a required part of the M.Ed. program.
- This degree has 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times.
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
The Education Department will verify that students have completed one of Liberty’s Virginia state-approved licensure programs. Students should verify any additional licensure requirements with their home state. Students pursuing this concentration for licensure must already hold an initial teaching license. For state approval information, visit www.Liberty.edu/StateApprovals.
Masters in Education in Reading Specialist Endorsement Program Highlights
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online Master of Education — Reading Specialist Endorsement degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we actually lowered our tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full time (at least 9 credits per semester), Liberty University’s M.Ed. online is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- You can complete our Master of Education — Reading Specialist Endorsement degree program in under 2 years.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Teaching — Liberty’s NCATE-through-CAEP accredited, online Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) provides a path for students with an education background to advance their teaching skills. This degree also provides an opportunity to seek the credentials for licensure for students who want to move into a rewarding new career in teaching. The online M.A.T. degree pairs advanced learning theory with an evidence-based practical methodology to equip teachers to help children and young adults in their educational journey. The online Master of Arts in Teaching offers a clear path for students seeking teaching licensure, all with prestigious accreditation through NCATE.
- Master of Education — Curriculum and Instruction — Liberty’s NCATE-through-CAEP accredited Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction program will prepare you for leadership roles in Christian, public, and private school systems. Coursework provides focused training for those seeking a position as a K-12 educator or those wanting to further their education.
Military Benefits for the Masters in Education Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Potential Career Options with an M.Ed. Reading Specialist Endorsement
After completion of your Master of Education in Reading Specialist Endorsement degree, you will be equipped to pursue a wide variety of positions including reading specialist or literacy coach.
Admission Requirements for the Master of Education – Reading Specialist Endorsement
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.