Investing in Child Literacy Begins with Liberty’s Master’s in Education – Reading Specialist Program
Licensed reading specialists are needed in school systems to invest in and lead students to literacy success. Reading and comprehension skills are crucial for success in employment, personal growth, and communication.
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Education — Reading Specialist Endorsement degree program is an ideal track for you if you want to become a reading specialist. Throughout this degree program, you will be taught by experts in education with years of real-world experience.
What is a reading specialist?
A reading specialist is a certified expert in literacy programs designed to improve the reading level of elementary, middle, and high school students. With special expertise in how to help set kids up for success in school and how to help struggling students get back on track, reading specialists are an essential part of school districts.
Reading specialists work as teachers, coaches, and program directors for literacy programs in grade school levels and as such, must have initial licensure in most states. Liberty University’s Master of Education – online reading specialist endorsement track program is designed to help you get the training you need to become a reading specialist.
We don’t just train educators — we train educators who want to make a positive impact on the next generation. It’s who you are and who you aspire to become. We want to help you reach your goals, so we’re making a master’s degree more affordable. You can add to your skill set, broaden your professional capacity, and make a bigger impact on your students with an online graduate degree in education from Liberty University.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Master of Arts in Teaching program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
Please note: This program includes the required steps to pursue advanced licensure in Virginia, which requires initial teaching licensure in elementary, middle grades, secondary, or special education. If you do not currently have a teaching license, our Master of Arts in Teaching program may be a better fit for you. Additionally, students must have 3 years of full-time contractual teaching experience. This experience can be accrued while pursuing the M.Ed. degree, but at least 1 year of experience must be completed prior to the internship.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Reading Specialist Master’s Program?
Liberty University strives to produce educators and school leaders who have dedicated their lives to educational leadership. Our instructors seek to model high academic, moral, and spiritual standards before their peers, and concurrent with this goal, the graduate programs offered by Liberty University’s School of Education are designed to prepare candidates for effective leadership in Christian, public, and private schools. Liberty University’s Master of Education — Reading Specialist Endorsement degree online is built on quality teaching techniques and methods that can be applied to classroom settings.
Master’s in Education Accreditation
- The program has been accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) standards through the CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation) Accreditation System.
- Liberty University is institutionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
While researching reading specialist online programs, you may have questions about how Liberty’s reading endorsement online track can help you meet your goals. Here are some common questions about Liberty University’s reading specialist master’s degree.
What does a reading specialist do?
Reading specialists work with children in elementary, middle, and high school to identify and address reading challenges. They also work with schools to develop programs to encourage reading for fun, reading comprehension, and critical thinking skills. These skills help form the foundation of students’ education for the rest of their academic careers.
Reading specialists usually teach at a specific grade level and have experience teaching and mentoring students of a specific age group, but these skills are transferrable to different levels. Reading specialists also work with colleges and universities to help develop education teaching courses for teacher educator programs.
What can you do with a reading specialist license?
With a master’s in reading or an M.Ed. – Reading Specialist Endorsement, you can pursue teaching opportunities in both public and private schools. You can also pursue opportunities to teach education courses at the college level. A reading specialist degree can help you stand out from your peers by showing you have the ability to help your students in new and innovative ways. You can help your school and your school district reexamine how to help students excel.
How do you become a reading specialist?
Liberty’s Master of Education – Reading Specialist Endorsement is designed to prepare you for advanced licensure as a reading specialist. Our online master’s in reading specialist endorsement is accredited by NCATE through CAEP and provides opportunities to complete the required practicum and internship hours to meet state licensure requirements.
After completing licensure requirements in the state of Virginia, you can then apply for reciprocity in your state. Please see your state’s Department of Education website for information about how you can transfer licensure.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s in Education – Reading Specialist Endorsement Online Program?
Liberty University’s M.Ed. program in reading specialist endorsement is designed to prepare you for advanced licensure. Students are required to complete an internship and a practicum. To help prepare you for this, the Master of Education — Reading Specialist Endorsement degree online covers training on children and adolescents with disabilities, educational leadership, and legal and ethical issues faced by teachers.
Additionally, it establishes a comprehensive study of reading instruction and language acquisition principles, techniques, and materials for reading development.
In our Master of Education — Reading Specialist online program, you can learn skills and gain specialized knowledge in many essential content areas for reading literacy. Through your online courses, you can learn how to construct, organize, and implement a quality curriculum that focuses on objectives, problems, and recent developments in various programs. You will receive training from our faculty of education professionals, who have years of teaching experience. Our instructors will teach you techniques in identification and intervention strategies, collaborations, and referrals.
At Liberty University, our mission is to Train Champions for Christ. To continue this mission, we have created instructional competencies for teaching, reading, and study skills in our Master of Education in Reading Specialist Endorsement online degree.
- EDAS 641 – Supervision of Instruction
- EDRS 652 – Trends and Inquiry for the Reading Specialist
- EDUC 656 – Teaching Content Area Reading
- EDUC 669 – Literacy for Middle-Level Learners
Degree Information and Requirements
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- The School of Education will verify that students have completed one of Liberty’s Virginia state-approved licensure programs. Students should verify any reciprocity or additional licensure requirements with their home state. Students pursuing this concentration for licensure must already hold an initial teaching license in elementary, middle grades, secondary, or special education. Visit our state approval disclosures page for more information.
Master’s in Education in Reading Specialist Endorsement Program Highlights
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online Master of Education — Reading Specialist Endorsement degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we actually lowered our tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students, Liberty University’s M.Ed. online is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- You can complete our Master of Education — Reading Specialist Endorsement degree program in just 2 years.
Military Benefits for the Master’s in Education Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Options with an M.Ed. in Reading Specialist Endorsement
After completion of your Master of Education in Reading Specialist Endorsement degree, you can become equipped to pursue a wide variety of positions, including as a reading specialist or literacy coach.
Admission Requirements for the Master of Education – Reading Specialist Endorsement
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.