Investing in Child Literacy Begins with Liberty’s Masters in Education Reading Specialist Program
Liberty University’s 100% online Masters in Education – Reading Specialist Endorsement degree program is for the student who is interested in becoming a reading specialist, and this degree is designed to instruct individuals in how to plan and implement the reading curriculum. Teachers licensed as reading specialists are needed in school systems to invest in students and lead them into a brighter tomorrow by cultivating literacy. Reading literacy is crucial for success in employment, self-edification, and communication. Liberty University’s online master’s in education – reading specialist endorsement degree online program offers training to students on how to become a reading specialist and acquire the skills needed to succeed in their goals. In pursuit of our master’s in education – reading specialist endorsement, students will learn from experts in education with experience showing teachers how to educate children in literacy.
Please note: This program includes the required steps to pursue add-on or advanced licensure, which require initial licensure in teaching. If you do not currently have a teaching license, please see the Master of Arts in Teaching program.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Education- Reading Specialist Endorsement Online Program?
Liberty University strives to produce educators and school leaders who have dedicated their lives to educational leadership and who model high academic, moral, and spiritual standards before their peers. Concurrent with this goal, the graduate programs offered by the Liberty University School of Education are designed to prepare candidates for effective leadership in Christian, public, and private schools. Liberty University’s Master of Education – Reading Specialist Endorsement degree online program will enact quality teaching techniques and methods to be applied in classroom settings.
We don’t just train educators — we train educators who want to make a positive impact on the next generation. It’s who you are and who you aspire to become. We want to help you reach your goals, so we’re making a master’s degree more affordable. You can add to your skill set, broaden your professional capacity, and make a bigger impact on your students with an online graduate degree in education from Liberty University.
Students pursuing a Master of Education in Reading Specialist Endorsement are required to take part in three on-campus intensives. Intensives provided on Liberty’s beautiful campus will enhance the educational experience through face-to-face interactions with peers and professors. Students will enjoy the opportunity to explore the campus, collaborate with classmates, and seek answers from professors.
It is important to note that students seeking an add-on endorsement or advanced license must have an initial teaching license. The Master of Arts in Teaching online degree program is designed for first-time teachers.
Master’s in Education Accreditations
- The program has been accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) standards through the CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation) Accreditation System.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACSCOC). Accreditation by SACSCOC means your degree will be recognized throughout the nation.
What Will You Learn in Our Masters in Education in Reading Specialist Endorsement Online Program?
Liberty University’s M.Ed. programs are designed for advanced licensure; students are required to complete an internship for each licensure specialization. To help prepare you for this, the Master of Education – Reading Specialist Endorsement degree online program covers training on children and youth with disabilities, educational leadership, and legal and ethical issues faced by teachers, as well as establishing a comprehensive study of reading and language acquisition principles, techniques, and materials for reading development.
In our Master of Education – Reading Specialist program you will learn how to construct, organize, and implement quality curriculum, focusing on objectives, problems, and recent develops in various programs. Training will be given by our seasoned education professors by obtaining techniques in identification and intervention strategies, collaborations, and referrals. Our Master of Education in Reading Specialist Endorsement online degree seeks to Train Champions for Christ through our online reading program to create instructional competencies for teaching, reading, and study skills.
- EDUC 521 – Foundations of Exceptionality
- EDUC 554 – Reading and Language Acquisition
- EDUC 641 – Supervision of Instruction
- EDUC 650 – Specialists for Reading/Math Programs
Degree Information and Requirements
- This program is offered 100% online with optional intensives.
- The M.Ed. is 36 total credit hours.
- A maximum of 50% of the program hours may be transferred to Liberty if approved.
- A 3-credit hour internship is a required part of the M.Ed. program.
- Eight-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times.
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- Licensure – The Education Department will verify that students have completed one of Liberty’s Virginia state-approved licensure programs. Students should verify any additional licensure requirements with their home state. Students pursuing this concentration for licensure must already hold an initial teaching license. For state approval information, visit www.Liberty.edu/StateApprovals.
Masters in Education in Reading Specialist Program Endorsement Program Highlights
- By earning your online Master of Education – Reading Specialist Endorsement degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we actually lowered our tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs for the 2018-19 academic year. At $415 per credit hour for full time (at least 9 credits per semester), Liberty University’s M.Ed. online is now available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the county.
- You can complete our Master of Education – Reading Specialist Endorsement degree program in under two years.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Teaching – Liberty’s NCATE-accredited, online Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) provides a path for students with an education background to advance their teaching skills, as well as provides students wanting to move into a rewarding new career in teaching with the opportunity to seek the credentials for licensure. The online M.A.T. degree pairs advanced learning theory with an evidence-based practical methodology to equip teachers to help children and young adults in their educational journey. The online Master of Arts in Teaching offers a clear path for students seeking teaching licensure, all with prestigious accreditation through NCATE.
- Master of Education – Curriculum and Instruction – Liberty’s NCATE-accredited Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction program will prepare you for leadership roles in Christian, public, and private school systems. Coursework provides focused training for those seeking a position as a K-12 educator or those wanting to further their education.
Masters in Education Program Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour)
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course).
- Eight-week courses, eight different start dates per year, and no set login times
Potential Career Options with an M.Ed. Reading Specialist Endorsement
After completion of your Master of Education in Reading Specialist Endorsement degree, you will be equipped to pursue careers in a wide variety of fields including reading specialist or literacy coach.
Admission Requirements for the Master of Education – Reading Specialist Endorsement
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.