Prepare to Change the Lives of Teens with a Master’s Degree in Middle School Education
Being a middle-schooler isn’t easy. Between 6th and 8th grade, most young teens are just starting to learn who they are as individuals and what they want in life. These students are at one of the most important transitional times in their lives, and having a role model to look up to can have an immensely positive influence. As a teacher, you want the tools to help these young people as they begin making important choices.
If you are passionate about working with middle school children, but you don’t have a license to teach, a master’s degree in middle grades from Liberty can help you get the credentials you need to enter the field with confidence. With our online M.A.T. in Middle Grades 45-hour track, you can prepare to teach in both public and private schools across the country.*
With the demand for teachers on the rise in the U.S., your passion for teaching can help fill a much-needed role for tomorrow’s students. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the need for middle school teachers alone is expected to grow an average of 8% by 2026.**
Most importantly, you will be earning your teaching degree from a nonprofit, Christian university committed to seeing you succeed with excellence and integrity. You will touch many lives throughout your career; our goal is to provide you with training founded on biblical principles so you can feel equipped to make an eternal impact on your students.
*Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Master of Arts in Teaching program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
**Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Middle school teachers, 2019 (viewed online August 20, 2019). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s 45-hour Master’s in Middle Grades Degree?
With an online M.A.T. in Middle Grades from Liberty University, you can meet the requirements for state licensure, broaden your professional capacity, and make a bigger impact on your students.
All of our School of Education initial and advanced licensure programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). As a student, this standard of excellence means you can graduate with an online graduate degree recognized and respected by colleges and employers across the nation.
By choosing Liberty’s 45-credit hour M.A.T. program, you will have elective credits built into your program – giving you the ability to further expand your credentials with a second endorsement in elementary or special education. And at $415 per credit hour at the full-time rate, you will be earning your degree at one of the lowest tuition costs for this program in the nation!
Another option you have with the M.A.T. is to use your electives to complete content competencies. In order to become licensed as a middle school teacher, you will need to complete content competencies in English, mathematics, social studies, or science. Depending on your bachelor’s degree, you may have completed some or all of these courses already.
If you have any questions about what courses you may need in order to obtain licensure for your middle grades subject area, please feel free to reach out to one of our Admissions Counselors at (800) 424-9596!
What Will You Learn in Our M.A.T. in Middle Grades Online?
As a middle school teacher, you must be an expert in your subject area. Our M.A.T. in Middle Grades program is designed to prepare you to confidently lead your English, math, science, or social studies classroom by allowing you to choose courses that focus on your subject of choice.
In addition to your core teaching courses, you will take classes on the historical foundations of education and learn how to test and measure your students’ growth. You will also take a class on language acquisition and instruction, which will help you better understand where your students are coming from — no matter what subject you teach.
In order to prepare for your career in the classroom, you will complete a semester of student teaching at the end of Liberty’s M.A.T. program. By working hands-on in the classroom under an experienced, licensed middle school teacher, you will not only be meeting licensure requirements, but you will also be developing your own unique teaching style. This is an important step in maintaining your passion for education and increasing your marketability to employers.
Throughout this program, you will study:
- Current trends in the education field
- Educational behavior and development
- Methods of teaching and classroom management
- Theories and methodologies of education
Review the Degree Completion Plan for more information about this exciting program!
Highlights of Our Online M.A.T. Degree
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we offer a lower graduate tuition rate for our Master of Arts in Teaching programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students, Liberty University’s M.A.T. online is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- Pursuing our online Master of Arts in Teaching may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- All of our School of Education initial and advanced licensure programs are accredited by NCATE (National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) through CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation).
- You can complete your degree in as little as 2 years!
- You will have the opportunity to network with educators from across the country.
45-hour Middle Grades Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and explore the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires a background check.
- Students will complete a semester of student teaching.
- This program will help you achieve your initial teaching licensure.
- Our program may make you eligible for certification through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- Review state-specific state requirements.
- Additional program details are available in the Online Graduate Advising Guide.
Military Benefits for Our Online M.A.T. Degree Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Career Opportunities for M.A.T. in Middle Grades Graduates
- K-12 curriculum developer
- K-12 curriculum manager
- Middle grades teacher
- Teaching product developer
You may also choose to pursue a dual endorsement. By taking a few extra courses, you can graduate with licensure in middle grades and another endorsement area, such as elementary or special education.
For more information about dual endorsements, please contact one of our Admissions Counselors at (800) 424-9596.
Admission Requirements for Graduate Online Degrees
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.