Take Your First Step Toward a Career in Elementary Education with a Master of Arts in Teaching
Do you want to have a career in education and become a licensed elementary school teacher? Your career path may have always been for elementary education, or maybe you are looking to make a career change. Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Teaching – Elementary Education degree can help you achieve your career goals. Our program will help you set a clear path to earn your initial teaching licensure and get the teacher training you need.
With core courses in learning theory and behavior management, you will have a foundation of education expertise. Through this program, you will also study math, natural sciences, language acquisition, and reading skills. These important elements will all work toward your goal of gaining initial teaching licensure with an elementary education focus. Our online teaching degree will give you the tools you need to help children to be successful in their educational journeys.
At Liberty, we designed our Master of Arts in Teaching – Elementary Education online degree with your success in mind. You can complete our program in as little as 2 years as you continue to work while going to college. Our goal is to support you as both a student and as a teaching professional.
Liberty University’s online teaching degree allows you to pursue multiple areas of study. We also offer a 45-hour track MAT for students who choose to pursue a dual endorsement to expand their marketability.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Elementary Education Online Degree?
Are you looking for a career that will help you influence today’s students to have a positive impact on their lives? Liberty University’s online teaching degree is designed to help integrate your faith into your professional life. At Liberty University, we strive to live out Christ-like characteristics in an academic setting. We want to use the power of faith and education to transform people and the world.
You can rest assured knowing the degree you earn from Liberty has gone through rigorous reviews by accrediting bodies. Our masters in elementary education online degree is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
Can you teach elementary school with a masters degree in elementary education?
For students pursuing licensure to teach elementary school, a Master of Arts in Teaching can be a great option. However, many states offer alternative pathways to licensure that may not require a new degree. You can view your state’s Department of Education website for details.
If you do not have a bachelor’s degree, you may be interested in Liberty’s licensure track Bachelor of Education (BEd). The BEd provides a more thorough study of the fundamentals of teaching while also providing internship opportunities to fulfill state student teaching requirements.
Bachelor of Education vs Master of Teaching for Licensure
If you have a bachelor’s degree and want to teach elementary school students, then a Liberty University online elementary education degree is the best next step for you to take. While the BEd is designed to meet licensure requirements, it is not usually recommended to earn more than one bachelor’s degree.
You will most often benefit from a new degree at a higher level of education rather than earning a new degree of the same level. A Liberty MAT degree can give you the licensure requirements and expertise you need to excel in the field of elementary education.
How much do elementary teachers make with a masters degree in elementary education?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), elementary and primary school teachers had a median salary of $57,980 in 2018.* You may already have licensure and want to advance in your career or you are entering the field for the first time. In either case, a masters degree can have a huge impact on your earning potential. With a masters degree, you can expect a median salary that’s 19.7% higher than your professional counterparts who only have a bachelor’s degree.*
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Unemployment rates and earnings by educational attainment, 2018 (viewed online February 5, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in Liberty’s Online M.A.T. in Elementary Education?
We don’t just train educators. We train educators who want to make a positive impact on the next generation. It’s who you are and who you aspire to become. We want to help you reach your goals, so we made a masters degree that’s more affordable.
You can add to your skill set, broaden your professional capacity, and make a bigger impact on your students with an online graduate degree in education from Liberty University.
This program includes studies in the following areas:
- Educational behavior and development
- Theories and methodologies of education
- Current trends in the education field
- Methods of teaching and classroom management
EDUC 530 – Teaching Mathematics
This course is an in-depth study of the theory and processes of teaching mathematics to students in preschool through 8th grade. You will learn effective teaching methods for numbers, operations, computations, geometry, and logic. You will participate in hands-on instruction that will construct and demonstrate models and teaching tools.
EDUC 531 – Teaching the Natural and Social Sciences
This course integrates the natural and social sciences with other areas of elementary education topics. You will complete assignments in the areas of the natural sciences, social sciences, language arts, and religion. You will also build a thematic teaching unit that includes instructional activities for these topics.
EDUC 554 – Reading and Language Acquisition
This course teaches the complex nature of language acquisition and the reading process.
EDUC 632 – Literacy and Language Instruction
This course teaches instructional strategies for developing critical thinking in the areas of literacy and language arts.
Benefits of an Online Teaching Degree
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online elementary education master’s degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we lowered our tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students, Liberty University’s MAT online is now available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- Pursuing our online Master of Arts in Teaching licensure-track may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- The School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- You can achieve teaching licensure in less than 2 years.
- You will have the opportunity to network with educators from across the country.
Master of Arts in Teaching Degree Information
- Download and explore the Degree Completion Plan.
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Learn more about Liberty’s optional, on-campus intensives.
- This program requires a background check.
- Students will complete a semester of student teaching.
- This program can help you achieve your initial teaching licensure.
- Our program is eligible for certification through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- View all of the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discount – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
What Careers Can You Pursue with a Master’s in Elementary Education Degree?
The Master of Arts in Teaching – Elementary Education is designed to get you into an elementary school classroom as a licensed teacher! You may also choose to pursue a dual endorsement.
For more information about dual endorsements, please contact one of our admissions counselors at (800) 424-9596.
Admission Requirements for Online Graduate Programs
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form.**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.