A Master’s Degree in Elementary Education that Prepares You for Licensure and Lifelong Influence on the Next Generation
Your desire to impact people’s lives is what motivates you. And with the demand for teachers on the rise in the U.S., your passion can fill a much-needed role for tomorrow’s students. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of students enrolling in kindergarten and elementary school is expected to grow over the next decade, increasing the number of teachers needed to accommodate the higher volume.*
But students need more than just a teacher — they need a role model who inspires them to be the best version of themselves. Your presence in the classroom can make a positive difference in the lives of your students. To prepare yourself for this incredible opportunity, you’ll want the proper training — that’s where we can help.
An online master’s degree in elementary education from Liberty University can provide you with the requirements for licensure to teach in both public and private schools. By choosing Liberty’s 45-credit hour M.A.T. program, you will have elective credits built into your program – giving you the ability to further expand your credentials with a second endorsement in middle, secondary, or special education!
Most importantly, you will be earning your teaching degree from a nonprofit, Christian university committed to seeing you succeed with excellence and integrity.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Master of Arts in Teaching program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Kindergarten and elementary school teachers, 2019 (viewed online August 20, 2019). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s 45-hour Master’s in Elementary Education Degree?
If you’re interested in turning your current career into a teaching career, Liberty’s Master of Arts in Teaching can help you become a licensed teacher — even if your bachelor’s degree is not an education degree.
The elementary education’s 45- credit hour option can provide you with the content competencies you’ll need in order to become a teacher. These core competencies are in history, lab sciences, social science, arts, and English. Alternatively, you could use the extra electives in the 45-hour program to take classes that will give you an additional endorsement in middle, secondary, or special education.
No matter which direction you go with the 45-hour M.A.T. in Elementary Education, our courses are designed to equip you to feel as prepared as possible for your students and for your role in the classroom. At Liberty University, we don’t just train educators — we train educators who want to make a positive impact on the next generation.
Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). This standard of excellence means you can graduate from Liberty with an online graduate degree recognized and respected by colleges and employers across the nation.
What Will You Learn in Our M.A.T. in Elementary Education Online?
As an online M.A.T. student, you will complete a semester of student teaching at the end of the program. By working hands-on in the classroom under an experienced, licensed elementary school teacher, you will not only be meeting licensure requirements, but you will be developing your own unique teaching style. This is an important opportunity to develop your passion for education into practical skills and increase your marketability to employers.
With an online M.A.T. in Elementary Education, you can gain teacher licensure, broaden your professional capacity, and make a bigger impact on your students. Throughout this program, you will study:
- Current trends in the education field
- Educational behavior and development
- Methods of teaching and classroom management
- Theories and methodologies of education
- EDUC 530 – Teaching Mathematics
- EDUC 554 – Reading and Language Acquisition
- EDUC 634 – Teaching Science in Elementary School
Highlights of Our Online MAT Degree
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we offer a lower graduate tuition rate for our Master of Arts in Teaching programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students, Liberty University’s M.A.T. online is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years – and counting.
- Pursuing our online Master of Arts in Teaching may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- You will have the opportunity to network with educators from across the country.
45-hour Elementary Education Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and explore the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires a background check.
- Students will complete a semester of student teaching.
- This program will help you achieve your initial teaching licensure.
- Our program may be eligible for certification through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- Review state-specific state requirements.
- Additional program details are available in the Online Graduate Advising Guide.
Military Benefits for Our Online M.A.T. Degree Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Career Opportunities for MAT in Elementary Education Graduates
- Elementary education licensed teacher
- K-12 curriculum developer
- K-12 curriculum manager
- Teaching product developer
Students may also choose to pursue a dual endorsement. By taking a few extra courses, students can graduate with licensure in elementary education and another endorsement area, such as middle grades, secondary education, or special education.
For more information about dual endorsements, please contact one of our Admissions Counselors at (800) 424-9596.
Admission Requirements for Graduate Online Degrees
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.