Bring Earth Science to Life in the Classroom with an Undergraduate Certificate
Do you have a heart for students and a passion for science? Liberty University’s undergraduate Earth Science Education Certificate is designed to provide you with the knowledge and practical training you’ll need to teach earth science to 6-12 grade students. If you are interested in teaching earth science – no matter where you are in your experience and education – then this certificate is for you!
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
**Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at High School Teachers (viewed online June 21, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s Earth Science Education Certificate?
At Liberty University, our mission is Training Champions for Christ. Because of this mission, we strive for excellence in all that we do. Here are some of the benefits of choosing to pursue your certificate in earth science education with us:
- Each of our courses is integrated with a biblical worldview to ensure that you graduate as an ethically grounded professional.
- The courses in your certificate in earth science for teachers are offered in a flexible, 100% online format, allowing you to continue to dedicate time to your work, family, and community.
- You will gain practical lab and teaching experience in our 30-hour practicum, which can be completed at a school near you.
- Each of your professors has professional experience as an educator with specialized knowledge in the area of earth science so you can be confident you’re learning from the best.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Earth Science Education Certificate program, you may apply for the add-on endorsement in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
If you hold a current teaching license as a general educator or in a specific subject and want to teach earth science to middle school and high school students, this certificate can help you get there. Our program is designed to work with your current credential. You will be provided with new knowledge specific to earth science as well as practicum hours at a school near you.
If you are currently pursuing your teaching license and you want to add an earth science endorsement to your future credential, then this certificate can provide you with the courses and experience you’ll need. Our certificate covers all the basics of earth science while providing you with a practicum to gain lab experience at a local school.
If you don’t have a teaching license and you haven’t started your education degree yet, this program can help you get started! You can transfer each of your certificate courses into our B.Ed. in Middle Grades – Science, which leads to licensure. You can also gain the subject matter expertise you’ll need to teach earth science one day, as well as classroom experience at a school near you.
Certificate in Earth Science Education Potential Career Options
Our Undergraduate Certificate in Earth Science Education can help you prepare for several career paths. Depending on your current knowledge, education level, and experience, there are many different positions that could benefit from our accredited earth science certificate:
- Curriculum coordinator
- High school teacher
- Homeschool teacher
- Middle school teacher
- Private school teacher
The teaching, content-defferentiation, and lesson planning skills that you gain from our certificate in earth science can be an asset in many other aspects of the education field as you pursue positions of added responsibility. Additionally, the credits from this certificate may transfer directly into the BED in Physics – Earth Science.Take the next step towards your personal and professional goals with an earth science certificate from Liberty University.
This program is an add-on endorsement for those who already hold an initial license in another science discipline.
What Will You Learn in Our Undergraduate Certificate in Earth Science?
Our Earth Science Education Certificate is designed to prepare you with all the knowledge and experience you’ll need to teach earth science to 6-12 grade students. You will study a variety of topics related to earth science, including astronomy, oceanography, paleontology, and more. Plus, you will gain 30 hours of practical experience in our required practicum at a school in your area.
- EDSC 488 – Science Lab Practicum in Schools
- PHSC 121 – Introduction to Astronomy
- PHSC 122 – Elements of Astronomy Lab
- PHSC 210 – Elements of Earth Science
- PHSC 211 – Elements of Earth Science Lab
- PHSC 311 – Oceanography
- PHSC 312 – Meteorology
- PHSC 313 – Mineralogy-Petrology with Lab
Highlights of Our Earth Science Education Certificate
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online certificate from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Gain practical experience in teaching an earth science lab with a 30-hour practicum.
- Complete your Earth Science Education Certificate in just 1 year or less.
Earth Science Education Certificate Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Certificate Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Health Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Undergraduate Programs
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Online Certificates
Applicants must have a 1.5 or above cumulative GPA for all accredited colleges previously attended. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**Please note: You cannot be accepted into this program until Liberty has your official transcripts.