Prepare Children for the Future with Liberty’s Online B.Ed. in Elementary Ed. – Middle Grades Social Science Specialization
Are you interested in becoming a licensed elementary school teacher? Maybe you’re most passionate about teaching younger children, but you’d like to keep your options open because you can see yourself being a middle school social studies teacher someday. If so, Liberty’s B.Ed. in Elementary Education – Middle Grades Social Science degree may be for you.
Liberty’s B.Ed. in Elementary Education is one of only a few like it in the U.S. – a 100% online bachelor’s degree that leads to teacher licensure in Virginia. Through this online elementary education program, you will complete state-mandated requirements for teacher licensure – including core competencies, student teaching, and practicum hours. In addition to preparing you for success as an elementary school teacher, this degree can also prepare you for success in middle grades education as a social studies teacher.
Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Once you complete Virginia licensure requirements, you can apply for reciprocity in another state.* Partner with Liberty and learn the teaching skills you need to be successful.
*Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Bachelor of Education program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
Why Choose Liberty’s B.Ed. in Elementary Education with a Middle School Social Studies Endorsement?
The format of Liberty University’s education courses, which are approved by the VDOE and offered in a fully online setting, allow you to complete your degree at your own pace. In addition, this degree program allows you to complete your student teaching and practicums at a location near you, so you can finish your degree without leaving your community.
At Liberty University, our mission is to Train Champions for Christ. As an education student at Liberty, you’ll be taught teaching and learning techniques from experts in education. Our dedicated professors, who have years of experience in teaching elementary and middle school, instruct from a biblical worldview and have a vested interest in your success.
The B.Ed. in Elementary Education with a middle school add-on in social studies can provide you with two endorsements on your teaching license: elementary education K-6 and middle education social science. By pursuing the middle-grades social science endorsement, you can become a versatile and well-rounded teacher who is prepared to succeed in a number of learning environments.
What Will You Learn in the Bachelor’s in Elementary Education Online – Middle Grades Social Science Program?
The middle grades social science specialization requires students to complete 5 additional courses that are specific to social science. In addition to these courses, students who choose to add the middle grades social science endorsement are required to complete a minimum of 90 practicum hours and at least 1 full semester of student teaching.
Further, the elementary education program requires 3 practicums. Completing the B.Ed. in Elementary Education – Middle Grades Social Science endorsement will require you to complete a total of 4 practicums and 1 student teaching requirement. This degree provides more than just an online elementary education degree. It prepares you to work with elementary and middle school students alike.
- EDUC 225 – Instructional Design for Elementary and Middle Classrooms
- EDUC 318 – Teaching Reading to Diverse Learners
- EDUC 410 – Elementary School Curriculum
- EDUC 412 – Middle School Curriculum
- HIWD 370 – Comparative Civilization
Highlights of Our Online B.Ed. in Elementary Education – Middle Grades Social Science Endorsement
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Our B.Ed. is one of the first 100% online bachelor’s programs in the nation to offer a curriculum that prepares you for initial teacher licensure.
- Students enrolled in our online Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) in Elementary Education degree will have access to a wide variety of resources through Liberty’s research portal and extensive online library.
- With our unique 100% online licensure track, you can complete your teaching licensure requirements for the Commonwealth of Virginia. You can then apply for reciprocity for equivalent licensure in other states.
- Pursuing our online Bachelor of Education licensure tracks may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Online Bachelor’s in Elementary Education – Middle Grades Social Science Degree Information
- This online bachelor’s degree program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program is designed to prepare you for licensure. Review our licensure information and resources.
- This program has practicum and student teaching requirements as well as a background check.
Potential Career Options with an Elementary Education Bachelor’s Degree
Liberty’s Bachelor of Education in Elementary Education – Middle Grades Social Science degree can provide you with a wide range of education-related job opportunities, such as:
- Homeschool teacher
- Licensed elementary education teacher
- Middle school social studies teacher
- Private school teacher
Admission Requirements for Online Undergraduate Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.