Begin Your Career Path to Becoming a Sports Chaplain with our Master’s in Sports Chaplaincy Degree Online
Pursuing a career as a chaplain does not limit you to only acting in military and hospital capacities. Sports Chaplains are needed to create a holistic and spiritually rich environment in the world of sports where athletes can receive counseling, spiritual guidance, and mentorship from religious leaders. Liberty University offers a 100% online master’s in sports chaplaincy program to provide the training you need to meet the educational and personal needs of athletes. Our master’s in sports chaplaincy degree is designed to prepare future sports chaplains for a biblically based sports ministry in both religious and secular settings. Knowledge of effective methods and strategies will be gained to produce graduates who will serve as valuable and essential assets to their team.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Arts in Sports Chaplaincy Online Program?
The Master’s in Sports Chaplaincy degree is designed to prepare men and women for sports ministry rooted in biblical principles. There is a great need for ministers in the field of sports, and it is up to individuals like you to fulfill this calling. Liberty University’s chaplaincy programs strive to produce leaders in their fields with a quality education from a faculty of seasoned ministry professionals who have years of first-hand experience in the field. As a student in the master’s in sports chaplaincy online degree, you will have the opportunity to complete a practicum that will incorporate the knowledge obtained through your chaplaincy training online into personal experiences. Liberty’s chaplain studies seek to challenge you in both the theoretical and practical side of sports chaplaincy to advocate achieving higher standards of excellence.
What Will You Learn in Our Sports Chaplain Program?
Graduates of the master’s in sports chaplaincy will be equipped with the leadership and organizational skills needed to develop, build, and maintain a community ministry opportunity on a variety of levels. Our online courses offer sports chaplain training that will assist in developing a ministry leadership plan that is both biblically and theologically based as well as culturally informed within the sports context. This program will also teach how skills in ethical advisement, counseling, teaching, and leading as a sports chaplain apply in both religious and secular settings. Students will analyze the strategy and practice of sports chaplaincy based on current research, knowledge of the literature of the discipline, and experience in the field.
In the sports chaplaincy program, you will complete a practicum for experience as a sports chaplain. For this experience, you will “shadow” a chaplain for the duration of the chaplaincy training online course. Completing a practicum allows the unique experience of blending your sports chaplaincy training online courses with first-hand practical application to gain a deeper understanding of work in the chaplaincy field.
Sports Chaplaincy Featured Courses
- CHPL 500 – Chaplaincy Ministry
- CHPL 598 – Spiritual and Professional Development of the Chaplain
- CHPL 615 – Chaplain Ethics for Advisement and Pastoral Care
- CHPL 683 – Sports Chaplaincy
Sports Chaplaincy Program Highlights
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Sports Chaplaincy degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our Chaplaincy programs including sports chaplaincy has not increased in four straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a non-profit university.
- You can complete our Sports Chaplaincy training online degree program in less than two years.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Sports Management – Our COSMA accredited Master’s in Sports Management provides a comprehensive overview and understanding of the sports management industry. The program will equip you with the knowledge and skills that are used in a variety of related fields. Course subjects include marketing and public relations, education, ethics, economics and financial management, as well as social and legal issues in the area of sports management.
- Divinity in Chaplaincy – Liberty’s Master of Divinity in Chaplaincy is designed to provide you with an in-depth study of Scripture, biblical leadership principles and strategies, and the essential doctrines of the Christian faith. You will explore theological and cultural issues relevant to formal and informal chaplaincy settings while learning to minister to diverse audiences.
Master’s in Sports Chaplaincy Degree Information and Requirements
- This program falls under the Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Master of Arts in Sports Chaplaincy course guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour)
- Discounted Divinity Block Rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
* Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the MA in Sports Chaplaincy degree are charged at the part-time rate.
Sports Chaplaincy Degree Potential Career Options
The Master’s in Sports Chaplaincy was created to provide you the opportunity to pursue your passion in one of these careers:
- Sports Chaplain
- Sports Ministry Leader
- Sports Ministry Missionary
- Church Sports Leader
- Youth Pastor
Admission Requirements for the Online MA Sports Chaplaincy Degree
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited Bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Unofficial college transcripts with a completed official transcript request form**
- Mail official college transcripts (sealed, unopened copy).
- Complete the School of Divinity Questionnaire.
- Submit Contact Information for a pastoral recommendation.
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.