Become a Sports Chaplain with Our Master’s in Sports Chaplaincy Degree Online
Pursuing a career as a chaplain does not limit you to only acting in military and hospital capacities. Sports chaplains are needed to create a holistic and spiritually rich environment in the world of sports where athletes can receive counseling, spiritual guidance, and mentorship from religious leaders.
Liberty University offers a 100% online master’s degree in sports chaplaincy to provide the training you need to meet the educational and personal needs of athletes. Our master’s in sports chaplaincy degree is designed to prepare future sports chaplains for a biblically-based sports ministry in both religious and secular settings. Gain the knowledge of effective methods and strategies you’ll need to serve as a valuable and essential asset to your team.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards. So you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Arts in Sports Chaplaincy Online Program?
The master’s in sports chaplaincy degree is designed to prepare men and women for sports ministry rooted in biblical principles. There is a great need for ministers in the field of sports, and it is up to individuals like you to fulfill this calling. Liberty University’s chaplaincy programs strive to produce leaders in their fields with a quality education from a faculty of seasoned ministry professionals who have years of first-hand experience in the field.
As a student in the master’s in sports chaplaincy online degree, you will have the opportunity to complete a practicum that will incorporate the knowledge obtained through your chaplaincy training online into personal experiences. Liberty’s chaplain studies seek to challenge you in both the theoretical and practical side of sports chaplaincy to advocate achieving higher standards of excellence.
What Will You Learn in Our Sports Chaplain Program?
Graduates of the master’s in sports chaplaincy will be equipped with the leadership and organizational skills needed to develop, build, and maintain community ministry opportunities on a variety of levels. Our online courses offer sports chaplain training that will assist in developing a ministry leadership plan that is both biblically-based as well as culturally informed within the sports context. This program also focuses on ethical advisement, counseling, teaching, and leadership principles that are applicable to both religious and secular settings. Students will analyze the strategy and practice of sports chaplaincy based on current research, knowledge of the literature of the discipline, and experience in the field.
In the sports chaplaincy program, you will complete a practicum for experience as a sports chaplain. For this experience, you will work under a chaplain for the duration of the chaplaincy training online course. Completing a practicum allows the unique experience of blending your sports chaplaincy training online courses with first-hand practical application to gain a deeper understanding of work in the chaplaincy field.
Sports Chaplaincy Featured Courses
- CHPL 500 – Introduction to Chaplaincy Ministry
- CHPL 598 – Spiritual and Professional Development of the Chaplain
- CHPL 615 – Chaplain Ethics for Advisement and Pastoral Care
- CHPL 683 – Sports Chaplaincy
Sports Chaplaincy Program Highlights
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online sports chaplaincy degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our chaplaincy programs including sports chaplaincy has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete our sports chaplaincy training online degree in less than 2 years.
Master’s Degree in Sports Chaplaincy Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the M.A. in Sports Chaplaincy degree are charged at the part-time rate.
Sports Chaplaincy Degree Potential Career Options
The M.A. in Sports Chaplaincy was created to provide you with the opportunity to pursue your passion in one of these careers:
- Church sports leader
- Sports chaplain
- Sports ministry leader
- Sports ministry missionary
- Youth pastor
Admission Requirements for the Online M.A. in Sports Chaplaincy
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Submit contact information for a pastoral recommendation
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.