Lead in Business and Bookkeeping with an MBA in Accounting
If you want to be an effective leader in business, you need a broad base of skills and knowledge covering management and business principles from many disciplines. But if you want to focus on finances and cost management, you may need specialized accounting training. Liberty University designed the Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a concentration in accounting to equip you with the knowledge and training you need to be a business leader with financial expertise.
Through this MBA Accounting online program, you will study essential areas of business management while also gaining mastery of tax preparation, auditing, accounting theory, and accounting information systems.
Through Liberty’s Master of Business Administration – Accounting program, you can build upon your undergraduate studies in business with specialized training in financial management, budgeting, global economics, tax research, and jurisprudence.
Courses within our MBA will prepare you to serve effectively as a leader in the modern business world. Our program emphasizes the importance of applying ethics to management practices and integrates faith with academics in a professional atmosphere. You will also study accounting ethics and best practices — skills that are mastered in a team environment and prepare you to be a successful business executive with accounting training.
Why Choose Liberty’s MBA in Accounting?
Our online MBA in Accounting degree is an industry leader in online MBA degree programs, taught by business professionals with practical, real-world experience in leadership and accounting settings. An MBA specialization in accounting will give you a valuable collection of skills that can help you solve problems in your business and design systems to improve your financial processes.
The best online MBA in Accounting programs offer a mix of quality education and flexibility. Liberty University’s flexible online format requires no set log in times for class, allowing you to remain active in your job and present with your family. You can get the skills and training you need without disrupting your life with commuting to a campus.
Our MBA in Accounting provides some of the same courses you’d find in our Master of Science in Accounting, but with a focus on advanced business principles. You will learn how smart accounting practices can be applied to your business and how to implement them for the benefit of your organization effectively. If you are hoping to sit for the CPA exam, you should look at our Master of Science in Accounting.
Frequently Asked Questions
While you research the best online universities for accounting courses, you may have questions about how Liberty’s MBA program can meet your needs. Below are some common questions and answers about how our online courses in accounting can help you reach your career goals.
Is accounting in business administration a substitute for a Master of Science in Accounting?
Different accounting tracks have many purposes. The MBA in Accounting is intended to provide a robust background in business management and a focused set of accounting courses to prepare you for management with accounting responsibilities.
However, if you want to become a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), the Master of Science in Accounting (MSA) is a better choice for your career needs. The MSA program focuses on the discipline and profession of accounting and is designed to cover a wider variety of advanced accounting studies. Because of this format, the courses can meet content requirements for the CPA exam.
Depending on your background, the additional graduate accounting courses may qualify you to sit for the CPA exam. However, the MBA in Accounting is not designed to prepare you for these requirements.
Is an MBA in Accounting worth it?
Before you invest time and money into a new degree, you want to know that you will be rewarded for your effort. Earning an MBA in Accounting can increase your career opportunities or help you shift toward an accounting career from your current role.
However, flexibility and new job opportunities are not the only benefits of earning an MBA. With graduate studies in business and accounting, you can look forward to higher pay potential. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates the average salary in 2019 for many roles which an MBA in Accounting may qualify you to pursue:
- Accountants and Auditors – $71,5501
- Operations and General Managers – $104,6902
- Financial Managers – $129,8903
1Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Occupational Outlook Handbook – Accountants and Auditors (viewed online September 5, 2020).
2Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Occupational Outlook Handbook – Top Executives (viewed online September 5, 2020).
3Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Occupational Outlook Handbook – Financial Managers (viewed online September 5, 2020).
Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual pay.
What can you do with an MBA in Accounting?
Are you trying to equip yourself specifically to pursue an accounting career, or do you need accounting skills to meet needs in your current role? Liberty’s MBA in Accounting can open the door to exciting new options.
Our programs in accounting equip students to perform essential financial reporting, accounting systems management, and cost assessment to fill crucial needs in many industries. With an MBA in Accounting, you will be equipped to lead in a management role while also performing and managing important financial tasks in your organization.
These skills can prepare you for many administrative roles in business such as:
- Chief Operating Officer
- Chief Executive Officer
- Chief Financial Officer
- Financial Consultant
- Financial Manager
- Managerial Analyst
- Sales Manager
What Will You Learn in Liberty’s MBA in Accounting?
Liberty’s online MBA degree will teach you the fundamental concepts of business administration. You will learn about strategic marketing, organizational structure, global business concepts, and the fundamentals of human resources. Through this program, you can gain a working knowledge of the steps of the decision processes involved in creating a strategic marketing program. You will also learn about the social and technical systems of organizations with an emphasis on the structural changes necessary to improve and maintain productivity and quality of work life.
Liberty University’s online MBA in Accounting will also give you access to the essential knowledge you need in the day-to-day management of a company. You will graduate with a knowledge base in essential human resource topics and learn how to evaluate and implement best practices in the human resources field. You will also study concepts and analytic methods useful in understanding the management of a firm’s operations.
Our knowledgeable faculty members will prepare you for leadership positions within the area of accounting by providing advanced training in the following areas:
- Interpreting accounting data to solve problems and challenges for businesses, organizations, and corporations.
- Interpreting the federal tax system and its complexities so that you can guide clients through the process while minimizing liabilities.
- Understand the legal issues that are prevalent in business.
- ACCT 521 – Advanced Cost Accounting
- ACCT 531 – Accounting Information Systems
- ACCT 612 – Tax Research and Jurisprudence
- BUSI 530 – Managerial Finance
- BUSI 601 – Accounting for Decision Making
Our MBA in Accounting Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Business.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Business Course Guides (login required).
- It is recommended that students without an undergraduate accounting degree take ACCT 403 – Governmental and Not-for-Profit Accounting to meet the governmental accounting course requirement for the CPA exam.
Highlights of Our MBA in Accounting Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- The MBA in Accounting degree is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- You can complete this MBA in Accounting program in as little as 2 years.
Online MBA Degree Program Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
Potential Career Options with an MBA Degree in Accounting
- Bank officer
- Budget analyst
- Certified management accountant4
- Certified public accountant4
- Cost accounting
- Government accountant
- Internal auditor
- IRS agent
- Managerial accounting
- Tax accountant
4May require additional accounting content areas or other steps.
Master of Business Administration Admission Requirements
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Undergraduate business prerequisites
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.