Help Heal Broken Marriages and Families by Earning Your Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Marriage and Family
If you want to help others in ministry or agency-based settings, then Liberty University’s online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling — Marriage and Family degree is for you! Our M.A. in Pastoral Counseling – Marriage and Family will equip you with the knowledge and skills critical for effectively counseling families and individuals in a variety of church and parachurch settings.
This online degree is also a valuable option if you want to further your education and counseling skills to further your career. It is important to note that this is a non-licensure program that is suitable for ministry and agency-based professionals, as well as students just entering the field. If you want to pursue licensed counseling, we invite you to review our Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy degree.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Marriage and Family Online Program?
If you are already a ministry professional and find that you need more training to help people struggling with spiritual and mental health crises, then earning an online Christian counseling degree like the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will help you get the tools you need.
This program is designed to build on your ministry experience to support your Christian counseling and pastoral care role, as well as to receive important life coach training. The field-specific training and biblical counseling techniques in the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will provide much-needed support for biblical counseling in a variety of settings.
The online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will give you marital counseling and family therapy training that will help you start a new ministry or expand your current ministry scope. Liberty’s James C. Dobson Center for Child Development, Marriage, and Family Studies will ensure that your ministry training is rooted in field-tested practices and sound counseling studies.
*Please note that while the marriage and family area of study may allow you to apply for some Christian counseling certifications, the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling is not designed to fulfill all clinical requirements for state-licensed professional counseling. You can view Liberty University’s licensure-track Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy degree for more information about counseling licensure.
What Will You Learn in the Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Marriage and Family?
The Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Marriage and Family degree is designed with core content in pastoral counseling ministry while also providing specialized marriage and family degree courses. Each of the courses within the degree is designed to equip you with a biblical worldview of human behavior and the application of counseling skills. Not only will you be introduced to the theories and skills required to provide pastoral crisis intervention and counseling, but you will also develop the skill sets to address specific psychological issues that apply to men, women, and children throughout their lifespan.
- PACO 603 – Premarital & Marital Counseling
- PACO 618 – Marriage and Family Counseling
- PACO 620 – Counseling the Adolescent & their Families
- PACO 625 – Healthy Sexuality
M.A. in Pastoral Counseling – Marriage and Family Program Highlights
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online M.A. in Pastoral Counseling – Marriage and Family degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 7 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Liberty University’s online seminary, the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, has experienced Christian counselors and ministry professionals who teach practical ministry skills while imparting deep theological teaching.
- Learn from content developed by renowned biblical studies scholars in Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop broad experience in Christian counseling and pastoral care to address mental and spiritual health issues in your ministry or biblical counseling practice.
- You can complete this pastoral counseling degree in marriage and family in under 2 years.
- The online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling falls within the School of Behavioral Sciences but receives
the graduate tuition rate of just $395 per credit hour for part-time students, as well as the online seminary’s block rate. Students attending full time (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for a block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling online are charged at the part-time rate.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Dobson Center Marriage and Family Studies – This marriage and family studies degree is offered 100% online and features lectures and material from world-renowned psychologist, author, radio host, and family expert, Dr. James C. Dobson. The overarching goal of the program is to equip men and women with knowledge to positively impact the family and society.
- Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy – Liberty’s marriage and family therapy degree provides you with a strong understanding of counseling principles and strategies to prepare you to seek licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist. Our courses will provide you with a thorough background in individual and group counseling theories and techniques, as well as clinical practice. In our M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy, an emphasis is placed on the understanding of ethical, professional, and legal issues in counseling.
Pastoral Counseling Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- 8-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options in Pastoral Counseling
- Church counselor
- Military chaplain
- Non-licensed counselor
- Pastoral counselor
After completing our master’s degree in pastoral counseling – marriage and family, graduates will have the opportunity to obtain or advance their positions in ministry, lay church counseling, chaplaincy, and local, agency-based settings.
Admission Requirements for Our Online M.A. in Pastoral Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.