Help Individuals, Couples, and Families Thrive by Earning a Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy
Are you interested in counseling families through difficult issues? A Liberty University online marriage and family therapy master’s degree will prepare you to help individuals, couples, and families find healing through counseling. Build a strong foundation in Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) principles and strategies that will prepare you to seek licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist.
Courses within our MFT degree will equip you with a thorough understanding of individual, couples, and family counseling theory, techniques, and effective clinical practice. With Liberty’s master’s degree in MFT, you’ll learn ethical, professional, and legal issues in counseling from a professional and biblical perspective.
Why get a counseling degree?
Are you considering a counseling degree for the first time? Maybe you’re thinking about furthering your career in marriage and family therapy. If so, you’ll need the right degree to gain the skills, knowledge, and credentials to practice this profession with a license.
Marriage counselors and family therapists are a vital part of our society. Many families and couples will go through trials that require intervention of some kind. From the beaming engaged couple eager to start their marriage on the right foot with premarital counseling to the family who feels exhausted from their children’s behavioral issues, a licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT) could be the person to guide them to success.
If you feel called to counsel couples and families, a Liberty University MFT degree can help you get there. To ensure you are providing quality care to your clients, obtaining a respected degree in the field – as well as your license – is the key to success.
Can you get a counseling degree online?
As a professional with responsibilities to your work, family, and community, you may desire to become a counselor, but you’re worried about attending classes on a traditional campus. Perhaps you’ve even started looking into online marriage and family programs. The exciting news is that Liberty’s M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy is offered online!
While you may find a variety of online MFT programs, Liberty University’s degree allows you to complete the majority of your course work in your home or office and your hands-on experience in your hometown. This program has 2 required on-campus intensives, which are weeklong courses that give you the opportunity to network with faculty and fellow students to build professional connections prior to graduation.
So, as you’re considering your marriage and family degree, rest assured that you can attend Liberty, a reputable and respected university, while receiving your degree online with minimal disruptions to your current schedule.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s of Marriage and Family Therapy Online Program (MFT Degree)?
As an accredited Christian university committed to the health and well-being of families, Liberty is invested in your success as a marriage and family therapist. Our online marriage and family counseling program meets the highest level of academic and professional standards. Additionally, it is designed to meet Virginia requirements for marriage and family therapy licensure (LMFT) after completing your degree.
Liberty University, a nonprofit institution of higher education, was founded in 1971 and remains one of the leading Christian universities in the world. Our faculty members provide quality, professional academic training from a faith-based perspective. In addition to providing mentorship, faculty also may provide clinical supervision during students’ field experience and offer opportunities to expand research skills for interested students.
It is our mission to equip you as an ethically and spiritually aware mental health professional who possesses the knowledge, values, skills, and personal disposition to promote the mental health and holistic wellness of clients across diverse populations. Graduates of our master’s degree in marriage and family therapy will be prepared to pursue careers in a variety of mental health settings including mental health agencies, public or private practice, faith-based counseling opportunities, hospital settings, or residential treatment facilities.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s Degree in Marriage and Family Therapy?
Throughout our marriage and family therapy degree, you will gain the necessary tools to understand psychopathology, assessment, diagnosing, and treatment planning from a systems theory perspective. This knowledge will be applied regularly in your mental health career post-graduation.
Each online counseling class in Liberty’s master’s degree program for marriage and family therapy will teach you how to ethically integrate faith and spirituality into client care, which is a unique skill that will set you apart from your peers. You will be able to enhance awareness of diversity and provide holistic care for clients, incorporating spirituality into their lives as an important component.
Download and review the Degree Completion Plan!
Highlights of Liberty University’s Marriage and Family Therapy Program
- Liberty University ranked #1 on the 2019 BestColleges.com list of “Best Online Master’s in Christian Counseling.”
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our master’s in marriage and family therapy online degree program has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Which counseling degree should I get?
The degree you choose should be one that aligns with both your career goals and your private life. With Liberty, you can complete our MFT degree — or any of our counseling degrees listed below — online, giving you the flexibility to stay active in your job, community, and family. Take a look at some of the similarities — and differences — of our online counseling degrees, and make the best choice for yourself.
Licensed Counselor Degrees
The M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy will prepare you to become a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT), and the M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling will equip you to become a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC). Both degrees have the following requirements:
- Online with required weeklong, on-campus intensives to interact with peers and professors
- Practicum and internship requirements for hands-on experience
- Comprehensive exam to test your knowledge for licensure
- 100% online
- Required internship for practical experience
- Meets required coursework for licensure in most states
- Preparation to become an addictions counselor
Human Services Counseling
- 100% online
- No intensive, internship, or practicum requirement
- Choose from a variety of specializations like leadership, life coaching, military resilience, and more
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Addiction Counseling — Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Addiction Counseling provides you with the education and training required for certification and licensure as a substance abuse or addiction counselor. Our M.A. in Addiction Counseling online program is designed to meet or exceed many national and state board requirements. You will be provided with counseling tools and skills to work with individuals as they move towards recovery organically.
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling — Liberty’s Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling is designed to prepare you for licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC). Our online degree program aims to develop ethical mental health counselors who possess the knowledge, values, skills, and personal disposition to promote the mental health and holistic wellness of clients across diverse populations. You will be enrolled in rigorous academic programs, dynamic interaction with mentors and faculty, and complete a carefully structured practicum and internship.
- Human Services Counseling — Our Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling online program furthers your education in the study of human behavior and the application of helping skills. Through our M.A. in Human Services Counseling, you will master a review of literature in the field considered essential to the master’s level professional preparation of human service counselors who offer services in areas such as leadership, families, and addictions and recovery.
Online Master’s in Marriage and Family Therapy Degree Information
- Two 3-credit-hour on-campus intensives are required.
- This program requires a 1-semester practicum and a 2-semester internship.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Review information about the background check, comprehensive exam, and the National Counselor Examination.
- The online M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy program may lead to licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) in most states. See which states have unique board requirements.
Potential Career Options with a Master’s Degree in Marriage and Family Therapy
Our master’s in marriage and family therapy online degree program prepares graduates to pursue licensure as a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) in the state of Virginia. Students from other states seeking this degree can check with their state board’s requirements to determine whether the program will lead to licensure in their state.
As a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT), you may find rewarding employment in one of the following areas:
- In-patient or out-patient hospital programs
- Mental health agencies
- Church or ministry-related counseling programs
- Counseling centers
- Private practice as a Marriage and Family Therapist
- Residential treatment facilities
Admission Requirements for the M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.7 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Contact information for 2 recommenders
- Personal statement
- Agreement to Mission Statement and Diversity Statement
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.