Help Individuals, Couples, and Families Thrive by Earning a Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy
Are you interested in counseling families through difficult issues? Liberty University’s online marriage and family therapy master’s degree will prepare you to help both individual family members and family units find healing through psychotherapy. You’ll not only build a strong foundation in marriage therapy counseling principles and strategies, but you’ll also be prepared to seek licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT). Courses within our master’s degree in marriage and family therapy program will equip you with a thorough understanding of individual, group, and family counseling theories and techniques, as well as effective clinical practice. With Liberty’s master’s degree in marriage and family therapy, you’ll learn ethical, professional, and legal issues in counseling from a professional and biblical perspective.
Why Choose Liberty’s Masters of Marriage and Family Therapy Online Program (MFT Degree)?
As an accredited Christian university committed to the health and well-being of families, Liberty University is invested in your success as a marriage and family therapist. Our online marriage and family counseling program meets the highest level of academic and professional standards and is designed to meet Virginia requirements for marriage and family licensure. You can be confident that the program will adequately prepare you to seek licensure as a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) after completing your degree.
Liberty University, a nonprofit institution of higher education, was founded in 1971 and remains one of the leading Christian universities in the world. Our faculty members will provide you with quality, professional academic training from a faith-based perspective. In addition to providing mentorship, faculty also may provide clinical supervision during students’ field experience and offer opportunities to expand research skills for interested students.
It is our mission to equip you as an ethically and spiritually aware mental health professional who possesses the knowledge, values, skills, and personal disposition to promote the mental health and holistic wellness of clients across diverse populations. Graduates of our master’s degree in marriage and family therapy will be prepared to pursue careers in a variety of mental health settings including but not limited to mental health agencies, public or private practice, faith-based counseling opportunities, hospital settings, and residential treatment facilities.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s Degree in Marriage and Family Therapy Program?
Throughout our marriage therapy and family counseling degree, you will gain the necessary tools to understand psychopathology, diagnosing, and treatment planning. This knowledge and these skills are applied daily in a mental health career post-graduation. Each online counseling class in Liberty’s master’s degree program for marriage and family therapy will teach you how to ethically integrate faith and spirituality into client care, which is a unique skill that will set you apart from your peers. You will be able to enhance awareness of diversity and provide holistic care for clients, incorporating spirituality into their lives as an important component.
- COUN 603 – Premarital and Marital Counseling
- COUN 610 – Human Sexuality
- COUN 620 – Counseling Children, Adolescents, and Their Families
- COUN 667 – Clinical Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
Highlights of Liberty University’s Marriage and Family Therapy Program
- Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy online degree program is ranked #5 in “Best Online Master’s in Counseling Programs” and “Best Online Master’s in Marriage & Family Therapy Counseling Programs” by BestColleges.com.
- By earning your Marriage and Family Therapy online degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you can have confidence that your degree will be well-respected in your field.
- Tuition for our master’s in marriage and family therapy online degree program has not increased in four straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Addiction Counseling – Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Addiction Counseling provides you with the education and training required for certification and licensure as a substance abuse or addiction counselor. Our M.A. in Addiction Counseling online program is designed to meet or exceed many national and state board requirements. You will be provided with counseling tools and skills to work with individuals as they move towards recovery organically.
- Professional Counseling – Liberty’s Master of Arts in Professional Counseling is designed to prepare you for licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC). Our online degree program aims to develop ethical mental health counselors who possess the knowledge, values, skills, and personal disposition to promote the mental health and holistic wellness of clients across diverse populations. You will be enrolled in rigorous academic programs, dynamic interaction with mentors and faculty, and complete a carefully structured practicum and internship.
- Human Services Counseling – Our Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling online program furthers your education in the study of human behavior and the application of helping skills. Through our M.A. in Human Services Counseling, you will master a review of literature in the field considered essential to the master’s level professional preparation of human service counselors who offer services in areas such as leadership, families, and addictions and recovery.
Online Masters Program in Marriage and Family Therapy Degree Information & Requirements
- Two 3-credit on-campus intensives are required.
- This program requires a one-semester practicum and two semesters of internship.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Review information about the Background Check, Comprehensive Exam, and National Counselor Examination.
- The online M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy program may lead to licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) in most states. See which states have unique board requirements.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour)
Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder(less than $625 per course)
8-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times
Admission Requirements for the MA in Marriage and Family Therapy
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts, if available
- Unofficial college transcripts can be accepted with a completed transcript request form**
- Recommender contact information (login required)
- Personal statement
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Potential Career Options with a Master’s Degree in Marriage and Family Therapy
Our Master’s in Marriage and Family Therapy online degree program prepares graduates to pursue licensure as a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) in the state of Virginia. Students from other states seeking this degree can check with their state board’s requirements to determine whether the program will lead to licensure in their state. As a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT), you may find rewarding employment in one of the following areas:
- In-patient or out-patient hospital programs
- Mental health agencies
- Church or ministry-related counseling programs
- Counseling centers
- Private practice as a Marriage and Family Therapist
- Residential treatment facilities
Industry Outlook: The U.S. Department of Labor projects a 15% growth for mental health counselors, which is much faster than the average for all occupations. Insurance companies offer more coverage for mental health services than in the past, so the federal government, community clinics, and local hospitals are expanding their health counseling staff to provide effective treatment for patients.*
*Data obtained from the Occupational Information Network (O*NET) under the sponsorship of the U.S. Department of Labor/Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Information obtained on April 30, 2019.