Be a Witness in a Public Role with the Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Community Chaplaincy
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling is designed to train ministry professionals and church leaders to become Christian counselors in ministry and agency-based, non-licensure settings. Students in the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will study psychology and the Christian understanding of human nature and God’s creation that informs biblical counseling.
The online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling provides a balanced treatment of spiritual and mental health that will equip ministry professionals already in the field or students who want to move into a Christian counseling role. The community chaplaincy area of study for the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling provides Christian counseling and pastoral care training aligned to public or private chaplaincy roles that may take you out of a Christian environment. Students who pursue the Community Chaplaincy area of study will study the biblical counseling practice and psychology theory needed to become Christian counselors or chaplains in a non-licensure setting.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Community Chaplaincy?
If you are a ministry professional and find that you lack the training to help people struggling with spiritual and mental health crises, completing an online Christian counseling degree like the Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will help fill in the gaps and build on your ministry experience to support your Christian counseling and pastoral care. If you want to branch out into a Christian counseling role, the field-specific training and biblical counseling techniques in the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will provide much-needed support for guiding others on a variety of issues.
What Is Chaplaincy?
A chaplain is a minister, pastor, or member of the ecclesiastical church body who serves in an official spiritual, mental health, and personal growth advisement role in a company, organization, or branch of government.
Students who complete the area of study in community chaplaincy will have specialized training in the elements of psychology and spiritual growth that are needed in an official chaplaincy role. The online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Community Chaplaincy degree provides an in-depth study of pastoral care and Christian counseling to allow students to minister directly to the personal and spiritual needs of individuals and families in their ministry in and outside of the church.
*Please note that some chaplaincy roles may require a more specialized and advanced study of a particular field through a Master of Divinity (M.Div.) program. Also, the Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling is not designed to fulfill all clinical counseling requirements. You can view all of Liberty University’s chaplaincy programs about the field and position-specific options. For licensure information, please review the Master of Arts in Professional Counseling.
What Are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling?
- Unlike many online bible colleges and seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACSCOC).
- Study a balanced perspective on the theological principles that underlie psychology, giving you effective Christian counseling techniques with a firm biblical worldview.
- If you choose to take advantage of the optional on-campus intensives, you will have additional hands-on training and meet directly with your peers and professors.
- Gain marketable real-world experience helping people in your community with the pastoral counseling internship.
- The online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling is overseen by the School of Behavioral Sciences but still receives the School of Divinity’s discounted graduate tuition of $395 per credit for part-time, as well as the online Seminary’s Block Rate. Students attending full time or higher (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for a block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Masters of Arts in Pastoral Counseling Online are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn in the Online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling Degree Program?
The online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling provides a broad set of foundational Christian counseling skills and knowledge along with field-specialized topic courses and hands-on skill areas. Students who pursue biblical counseling training in the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will learn how the science of psychology reflects biblical principles of personhood and human nature, and how mental health treatment benefits from spiritual health. Students in the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will have the opportunity to pursue hands-on training on campus during two optional intensives, and all pastoral counseling students will gain experience in their communities through the pastoral counseling internship.
Students who complete the online Pastoral Counseling – Community Chaplaincy will be trained to apply their pastoral care and Christian ministry skills to an official chaplain role outside of the church. Chaplain roles often have important differences from church leadership and may have restrictions based on state and federal regulations. As such, the Community Chaplaincy area of study for the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling provides an important overview of Chaplaincy Ministry and its particular requirements, as well as important role-specific skills for professional development.
- CHPL 500 – Chaplaincy Ministry
- CHPL 598 – Spiritual & Professional Development of the Chaplain
- CHPL 615 – Chaplain Ethics for Advisement & Pastoral Care
- CHPL 682 – Community Chaplaincy
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in four straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Students can complete this online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Community Chaplaincy in under two years.
- Develop broad experience in Christian counseling and pastoral care to address mental and spiritual health issues in your ministry or biblical counseling practice.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – A non-licensure track Master’s degree in counseling that emphasizes secular applications of psychology and counseling with a biblical worldview.
- Master of Arts in Professional Counseling – A licensure-track clinical counseling program that includes required on-campus intensives and an extensive practicum and internship.
Additionally, here are the available online master’s chaplaincy programs:
MA in Pastoral Counseling Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour part-time)
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- 8-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options with a Degree in Community Chaplaincy
- Associate pastor
- Church counselor
- Non-licensed counselor
- Women’s ministry director
Students who complete a degree in Christian counseling like the Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will be equipped for ministry-based, non-licensure counseling roles in many areas including marriage and family counseling, crisis counseling, and counseling women. Students may be eligible to pursue chaplaincy positions in many settings with the community chaplaincy area of study’s specialized content, however many chaplaincy roles may require additional content and specialized chaplaincy training. Students may also be able to pursue additional requirements for state licensure and pursue licensed clinical counseling practice.
Admission Requirements for Our Online MA in Pastoral Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Unofficial college transcripts and submit a transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.