Support Family Healing with Liberty University’s Online Marriage and Family Therapy Degree
Do you have a heart for helping people strengthen their relationships and heal past trauma? Our 100% online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Marriage and Family may be the program for you. With this degree, you can get the training you need for career advancement or prepare for new opportunities. If you want to help struggling marriages and families, this degree can help you get there.
As a Christian university, we are dedicated to training human services professionals with integrity. Our goal is to equip you to successfully apply scientific research and clinical tools in your practice. This online program prepares you to better serve clients who struggle with the challenges of life. You will learn to address their social, psychological, and spiritual needs.
The marriage and family area of study can equip you to address the many challenges of engaged and married couples, children with disabilities or behavioral issues, and other family issues. This specialization offers advanced practical training by providing real-world knowledge from experts in the field. You will examine best practices for various types of assessments used in marital and family counseling.
What is the difference between family counseling and marriage counseling?
Most counselors who learn to work with families also learn to work with couples and vice versa. The married couple is the smallest family unit, so it can fit into this category. However, marriages have their own set of dynamics and associated problems. These issues may need to be addressed separately from the rest of the family.
Family counseling can involve a married couple, but it typically involves other family members as well. This usually means parents and children in counseling together to work on familial issues. However, it can be other pairings or groups of family members as well as extended family.
Why Pursue a Degree in Human Services Counseling at Liberty University?
Are you passionate about studying the human mind? Do you love helping people improve their lives by changing their behavior? Our online master’s degree in human services counseling can provide you with in-depth knowledge on human behavior and psychology. You will learn how to apply your knowledge as you solve specific, real-world problems in the counseling and mental health field.
The Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling provides a balance of field-tested practice and cutting-edge research in behavioral sciences. You can be confident that your approach to treatment will be backed by solid scientific study while still maintaining a biblical worldview in ethics and practice.
Do you want to transition to a non-licensed marriage and family therapist role while pursuing an advanced 100% online degree with a Christian university? The online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Marriage and Family can provide the specialized training you need. If you want to help families heal and grow together, the marriage and family area of study will train you to apply your expertise in human thought and behavior to the real-world problems that families face.
What are the benefits of pursuing Liberty’s human services counseling degree?
- Complete your coursework on a schedule that fits your life with Liberty’s award-winning online learning environment.
- Study a balanced perspective of the theological principles that underlie psychology. You will learn effective human services counseling techniques from a biblical worldview.
- Be mentored by professors with real-world experience in human services and counseling while you explore the cutting-edge scholarship and methods for marriage and family counseling.
What Will You Learn in Liberty University’s Human Services Counseling Master’s Program?
The core content of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling provides a balanced overview of important theories in psychology. This knowledge is then applied to specific, real-world counseling practices. Students in the online master’s in human services counseling will study the development of the human mind from childhood to adulthood. They will also learn about how multicultural issues impact individual and group situations.
At Liberty University, we base this study of human thought and behavior on a Christian worldview. Our courses clearly demonstrate how these science and evidence-based practices are informed by biblical principles.
The marriage and family area of study provides an overview of marital counseling and family therapy issues and topics. You can choose to use your developed skill set to help newly engaged or married couples connect and sort through critical communication challenges. You may also choose to work with specific age groups for child development counseling or counsel women through developmental and situational crises.
- HSMF 603 – Premarital and Marital Counseling
- HSMF 611 – Counseling Children and Their Families
- HSMF 620 – Counseling Adolescents and Their Families
- HSMF 687 – Counseling Women
Please note: The online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is not designed to fulfill clinical counseling requirements. To get more information about a licensure-track marriage and family program, please see our Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy page.
Highlights for the Liberty University Marriage and Family Therapy Program
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com – and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete the Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Marriage and Family online degree program in as little as 1 year.
Online Human Services Counseling Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Potential Career Options for Liberty’s Marriage and Family Therapist Degree Online
Graduates of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling receive the mental health support and counseling skills necessary to be useful in private, public, and nonprofit human services roles. This includes Christian counseling ministry roles, community service agencies, group homes, outreach services, in-home mental health support services, probation agencies, and other types of casework and support roles where counseling skills are needed.
Here are some examples of human services positions that graduates have pursued:
- Adolescent care specialist
- Case management supervisor
- Grief services counselor
- Mental health services specialist
- Non-licensed counselor
- Pastoral counselor to children and families
Military Benefits for Liberty University’s Master’s in Social Work and Human Services
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Admission Requirements for the Human Services Counseling Program
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.