The Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Marriage and Family Degree Can Help You Support Family Healing
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Marriage and Family area of study is designed for human services professionals who need additional, graduate-level training for advancement or new opportunities. This program is also a great option if you are just entering the human services and mental health support field. The online master’s in human services counseling does not require any on-campus visits, so you’ll have the flexibility to fit these online courses into your current schedule.
As a Christian college, Liberty University is invested in training human services professionals with integrity, equipping them to successfully apply scientific research and clinical tools to their practice. As such, the online master’s in human services counseling will equip you to better serve clients who struggle with the challenges of life by addressing their social, psychological, and spiritual needs.
The marriage and family area of study equips human services professionals or those just entering the behavioral sciences field to address the many challenges of engaged and married couples, children with disabilities or behavioral issues, and other family-related issues. The marriage and family specialization also offers advanced practical training by examining the best practices for various types of assessments used in marital and family counseling and by providing real-world expertise from experts in the field.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master’s in Human Services Counseling – Marriage and Family?
Do you have a passion for studying the human mind and finding the best way to help people improve their lives by changing their behavior? With the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling, you can embark on the fascinating study of human behavior and psychology. You will learn how to apply your knowledge as you solve specific, real-world problems in the counseling and mental health field. The Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling provides a balance of field-tested practice and cutting-edge research in behavioral sciences. You can be confident that your approach to treatment will be backed by solid scientific study while still maintaining a biblical worldview in ethics and practice.
If you want to transition to a non-licensed marriage and family therapist role while pursuing an advanced 100% online degree with a Christian university, the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Marriage and Family will provide the specialized training you need. If you want to help families heal and grow together, the marriage and family area of study for the Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling will train you to apply your expertise in human thought and behavior to the real-world problems that families face.
What Are the Benefits of Pursuing Liberty’s Human Services Degree Online?
- Complete your coursework on a schedule that fits your life with Liberty’s award-winning online learning environment.
- Study a balanced perspective of the theological principles that underlie psychology, giving you effective human services counseling techniques from a biblical worldview.
- Be mentored by professors with real-world experience in human services and counseling while you explore the cutting-edge scholarship and methods for marriage and family counseling.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s in Human Services Online Degree?
The core content of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling provides a balanced overview of important theories in psychology while applying this knowledge to specific, real-world counseling practices. Students in the online master’s in human services counseling will study the development of the human mind from childhood to adulthood. They will also learn about how multicultural issues impact individual and group situations. As a Christian college, Liberty bases this study of human thought and behavior on a Christian worldview and demonstrates how these science and evidence-based practices are informed by biblical principles.
The marriage and family area of study provides an overview of marital counseling and family therapy issues and topics. You can choose to use your developed skill set to help newly engaged or married couples connect and sort through critical communication challenges, work with specific age groups for child development counseling, or counsel women through developmental and situational crises.
- HSMF 603 – Premarital and Marital Counseling
- HSMF 611 – Counseling Children and Their Families
- HSMF 620 – Counseling Adolescents and Their Families
- HSMF 687 – Counseling Women
Please note that the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is not designed to fulfill clinical counseling requirements. To get more information about a licensure-track marriage and family program, please see our Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy page.
Online Human Services Counseling Degree Highlights
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete the Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Marriage and Family online degree program in as little as 1 year.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Marriage and Family Studies – A ministry-focused biblical counseling and pastoral care degree that can be completed in as little as 1 year with optional intensives and an internship.
- Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy – A licensure-track clinical counseling program which includes required on-campus intensives and an extensive practicum and internship.
Online Human Services Degree Program Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Potential Career Options for the Online Master’s in Human Services Counseling – Marriage and Family
Graduates of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling receive the mental health support and counseling skills necessary to be useful in private, public, and nonprofit human services roles such as: Christian counseling ministry roles, community service agencies, group homes, outreach services, in-home mental health support services, probation agencies, and other types of casework and support roles where counseling skills are needed.
Some of the following are examples of positions our human services graduates have pursued:
- Adolescent care specialist
- Case management supervisor
- Grief services counselor
- Mental health services
- Non-licensed counselor
- Pastor to children and families
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Admission Requirements for Human Services Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.