Help Others Break out of the Addiction Cycle with a Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Addictions and Recovery
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Addictions and Recovery degree program is designed for human services professionals who need additional, graduate-level training for advancement or new opportunities and students who are just entering the human services and mental health support field. The online master’s in human services counseling does not require any on-campus visits and has no thesis requirement so that you can fit the flexible online courses into your current schedule.
As a Christian college, Liberty University is invested in training human services professionals who can apply the best available scientific research and clinical tools to their practice with a biblical worldview. As such, the online master’s in human services counseling will equip you to better serve your clients who struggle with the challenges of life by addressing their social, psychological, and spiritual needs.
The addictions and recovery area of study for the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling will train you in specialized diagnosis and treatment methods for clients who want to break out of the cycle of addiction to harmful substances and sexual behaviors. This training gives you a thorough understanding of the biological and mental aspects of addiction and how the recovery process works so you can help guide clients through their journey to better mental health and overall well-being.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master’s in Human Services Counseling – Addictions and Recovery?
Do you have a passion for studying the human mind and finding the best way to help people improve their lives by changing their behavior? With the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling, you can embark on the fascinating study of human behavior and psychology while applying this knowledge to help solve specific, real-world problems in the counseling and mental health field.
Liberty’s Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling online degree program provides a balance of field-tested practice and cutting-edge research in behavioral sciences so that you can be confident that your approach to treatment will be backed by scientific study. By earning your degree from a Christian university, you will receive coursework that integrates a biblical worldview into all aspects of your degree.
If you are currently a professional in human services and want to branch out into the addiction and recovery care field, you may realize a need for substance abuse counseling or sexual addiction counseling training that goes beyond practice and provides an understanding of human behavior.
If you want to break into the human services field and assist in substance abuse counseling or sexual addiction therapy, the addictions and recovery track will give you a graduate-level credential with specialized training to help you find new employment opportunities. The addictions and recovery area of study for the Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling can help you apply your expertise in human thought and behavior to assist clients in breaking the cycle of addiction.
What Are the Benefits of Pursuing Liberty’s Human Services Degree Online?
- Complete your coursework on a schedule that fits your life with Liberty’s award-winning online learning environment.
- Study with a balanced perspective on the theological principles that underlie psychology, giving you effective addiction counseling techniques with a firm biblical worldview.
- Be mentored by professors with real-world experience in human services and counseling while you explore the cutting-edge scholarship and methods for addiction recovery care.
What Will You Learn in the Master’s in Human Services Counseling Degree Online?
The core content of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling degree provides a balanced overview of important theories in psychology and specific real-world counseling practices. Throughout our online master’s in human services counseling, you will study the development of the human mind from childhood to adulthood and how multicultural issues impact individual and group situations. As a Christian college, Liberty brings the study of human thought and behavior into the light of a Christian worldview and demonstrates how biblical principles inform these science and evidence-based practices.
The addictions and recovery area of study builds on the biblical counseling core content of the Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling to teach you how to address drug addiction, chemical dependency, and sexual addiction, as well as biblical approaches to mental and spiritual health. You will learn how to identify and diagnose addiction, the biological and chemical aspects of addiction, and how these factors impact treatment. With the addictions and recovery specialization, you will be able to use evidence-based counseling practice and behavioral science to help clients in a non-licensed or ministry-focused addiction recovery care setting.
- SUBS 606 – Biological Aspects of Addiction and Recovery
- SUBS 607 – Treatment and the Recovery Process
- SUBS 608 – Diagnosis and Treatment of Sexual Addiction
- SUBS 609 – Healthy Sexuality
Please note that the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is not designed to fulfill clinical counseling requirements. You can view Liberty University’s licensure-track Master of Arts in Addiction Counseling below for more information about counseling licensure.
Human Services Counseling Degree Online Highlights
Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete the Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Addictions and Recovery degree in as little as 1 year.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Addictions and Recovery – This master’s degree is a ministry-focused biblical counseling and pastoral care degree that can be completed in as little as 1 year with optional intensives and an internship.
- Master of Arts in Addiction Counseling – This master’s degree is a licensure-track addiction recovery program that includes an extensive internship. Students in this program can pursue their Certified Substance Abuse Counselor (CSAC) certification, or — with a couple of extra courses — their Licensed Substance Abuse Treatment Practitioner (LSATP) license.
Master’s in Human Services Online Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Potential Career Options with a Master’s Degree in Human Services Counseling – Addictions and Recovery
Graduating with an online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling degree can provide you with mental health support and counseling skills useful for your work in private, public, and nonprofit human services. These vocations include Christian counseling ministry roles, community service agencies, group homes, outreach services, in-home mental health support services, probation agencies, and other types of casework and support functions where counseling skills are needed.
Some of the other positions in which you can use this degree include:
- Case manager
- Managed care specialist
- Mental health services manager
- Non-licensed counselor
- Rehabilitation counselor
- Substance abuse counselor
Admission Requirements for the M.A. in Human Services Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.