Help Others Break Out of the Addiction Cycle with a Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Addictions and Recovery
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling- Addictions and Recovery online degree program is designed for human services professionals who need additional, graduate-level training for advancement or new opportunities, and students who are just entering the human services and mental health support field. The online Masters in Human Services Counseling does not require any on-campus visits and has no thesis requirement so that you can fit the flexible online courses into your current busy schedule.
As a Christian college, Liberty University is invested in training human services professionals who can apply the best available scientific research and clinical tools to their practice with a biblical worldview. As such, the online Masters in Human Services Counseling will equip you to serve better your clients who struggle with the basic challenges of life by addressing their social, psychological, and spiritual needs.
The Addiction and Recovery area of study for the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling will train you in specialized diagnosis and treatment for clients who want to break out of the cycle of addiction to harmful substances and sexual behaviors. This training gives you a thorough understanding of the biological and mental aspects of addiction, and how the recovery process works so that you can help guide clients through their journey to better mental health and overall well-being.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Masters in Human Services Counseling – Addiction and Recovery?
Do you have a passion for studying the human mind and for finding the best way to help people improve their lives by changing their behavior? With the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling, you can embark on the fascinating study of human behavior and psychology while applying this knowledge to help solve specific, real-world problems in the counseling and mental health field. The Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling online degree program provides a balance of field-tested practice and cutting-edge research in behavioral sciences so that you can be confident that your approach to treatment will be backed by solid scientific study while still maintaining a biblical worldview in ethics and practice.
If you are currently a professional in human services and want to branch into the addiction recovery care field, you may find that you encounter a need for substance abuse counseling or sexual addiction counseling training that goes beyond practice and into a deep understanding of human behavior to find the best treatment options. If you want to break into the human services field and assist in substance abuse counseling or sexual addiction therapy, the Addiction and Recovery track will give you a graduate-level credential with specialized training to help you find new employment opportunities. The Addiction and Recovery area of study for the Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling will train you to apply your expertise in human thought and behavior to assist clients in breaking the cycle of addiction.
What are the Benefits of Attending Liberty’s Human Services Degree Online?
- Complete your coursework on a schedule that fits your life with Liberty University’s award-winning online learning environment.
- Study a balanced perspective on the theological principles that underlie psychology, giving you effective addiction counseling technique with a firm biblical worldview.
- Be mentored by professors with real-world experience in human services and counseling while you explore the cutting-edge scholarship and methods for addiction recovery care.
What Will You Learn in the Masters in Human Services Online Degree?
The core content of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling provides a balanced overview of important theories in psychology while applying this knowledge to specific, real-world counseling practices. Students in the online Masters in Human Services Counseling will study the development of the human mind from childhood to adulthood and how multicultural issues impact issues in individual and group situations. As a Christian college, Liberty bases this study of human thought and behavior in a Christian worldview and demonstrates how Biblical principles inform these science and evidence-based practices.
The Addiction and Recovery area of study builds on the biblical counseling core content of the Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling to teach you how to address drug addiction, chemical dependence, and sexual addiction as well as biblical approaches to mental and spiritual health. Students will learn how to identify and diagnose addiction, the biological and chemical aspects of addiction, and how these factors impact treatment. With the Addiction and Recovery area of study, students will be able to bring evidence-based counseling practice and behavioral science to help clients in a non-licensed or ministry-focused addiction recovery care setting.
*Please note that the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is not designed to fulfill all clinical counseling requirements. You can view all of Liberty University’s licensure-track Master of Arts in Addiction Counseling below for more information about counseling licensure.
Human Services Counseling Degree Online Program Highlights
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs has not increased in three straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Students can complete the Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Addiction and Recovery degree in as little as one year.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Addiction and Recovery – Ministry-Focused biblical counseling and pastoral care degree that can be completed in as little as one year with optional intensives and an internship.
- Master of Arts in Addiction Counseling – A licensure-track clinical counseling program that includes required on-campus intensives and an extensive practicum and internship.
Masters in Human Services Online Degree Information and Requirements
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the online Course Syllabi (login required).
Are you a service member, veteran, military spouse, or Department of Defense employee? We are proud to support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following military-friendly benefits for the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling program:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate students (per credit hour)
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course).
- Eight-week format, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times.
Potential Career Options with a Masters in Human Services Counseling – Addiction and Recovery Degree
Graduates of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling will give students the mental health support and counseling skills that will make them useful in private, public, and nonprofit human services roles. These vocations include Christian counseling ministry roles, community service agencies, group homes, outreach services, in-home mental health support services, probation agencies, and other types of casework and support functions where counseling skills are needed.
- Case Manager
- Managed Care Specialist
- Substance Abuse Counselor
- Non-Licensed Counselor
- Rehabilitation Counselor
- Mental Health Services
Admission Requirements for the MA in Human Services Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited Bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Unofficial college transcripts and submit a transcript request form.**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.