Help Others Wrestling with Addiction by Earning a Master’s Degree in Addiction Counseling
Do you have the compassion, patience, and interpersonal skills it takes to be a successful counselor? There are different paths people usually travel to become addiction counselors. One path is people who feel a calling to help others in need. There is also a long tradition of people who overcame addiction going on to help their fellow addicts break the chains of addiction.
In either of these situations, Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Addiction Counseling degree online provides you with the education and training required for certification or licensure as an addiction or substance abuse counselor. Our addiction counseling degree is designed to fulfill or exceed the requirements for many national and state board organizations. You will be provided with evidence-based counseling tools and skills to work with individuals as they move towards recovery.
Students pursuing our graduate program in substance abuse counseling will have access to knowledgeable professors who have years of experience in the areas of substance abuse and addiction counseling. Graduates will have a mastery of knowledge of critical concepts in the substance abuse and addiction counseling fields, including counseling techniques, treatment, and the recovery process.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Addiction Counseling Degree?
Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Addiction Counseling degree encompasses enriching and challenging curriculum to empower students with the tools needed to succeed in the field of addiction counseling. As drug addiction cases increase so does the need for mental health counseling that is tailored specifically for these clients. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook in this field is expected to grow 22% over the next 10 years, which is much faster than average.*
Those who choose our addiction counselor degree will:
- Have access to one of the nation’s largest private, nonprofit university’s resources.
- Earn their degree from a Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) accredited university.
- Build upon core values, knowledge, and skills needed to serve as an addiction and substance abuse counselor.
- Have increased job opportunities in the field of substance abuse and addiction counseling in private practices and clinics across the nation.
What Will You Learn in Our Addiction Counseling Degree Online?
You may be wondering how you can become an addiction counselor without having to leave your current job or interrupt your family commitments. Our addiction counseling online degree can be completed 100% online without interrupting your busy lifestyle.
Throughout this degree, you will gain knowledge in assessment techniques and details about the addiction and substance abuse recovery process. You will also study some of the causes of addiction and how to help people resolve their unsolved issues that may have led to addiction. As you continue your addiction studies you will learn the latest in counseling theory and how it can be applied to treating and helping clients in the recovery process.
Because of the intricate nature of the brain and chemical processes involved in our bodies, you will also study the biological aspects of addiction. This is important in being able to diagnose when a patient may need a referral to other health care professionals for additional care beyond counseling.
Our addiction counseling degree program can provide the opportunity for you to obtain certification as a Certified Substance Abuse Counselor (CSAC). With 12 additional credit hours of coursework, this meets the requirements for licensure as a Licensed Substance Abuse Treatment Provider (LSATP) in Virginia.
- CRIS 606 — Acute Stress, Grief, and Trauma
- SUBS 606 — Biological Aspects of Addiction and Recovery
- SUBS 607 — Treatment and the Recovery Process
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Substance Abuse, Behavioral Disorder, and Mental Health Counselors, (visited January 22, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Highlights of Liberty University’s Addiction Counseling Degree
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and as one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online addiction counseling degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our addiction counseling degree has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can participate in an optional addictions counseling internship in your community to get hands-on work experience in the field.
- You can complete your master’s degree in substance abuse counseling in just 2 years.
- Review our internship and background check information.
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for the Online Master’s in Addiction Counseling
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts — $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
- Addiction counselor
- Clinical case manager
- Managed care specialist
- Mental health services
- Rehabilitation counselor
- Substance abuse counselor
Admission Requirements for Our Online M.A. in Addiction Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
Undergraduate prerequisites: 3 credit hours in statistics
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**All official transcripts must be received within 60 days of the admissions decision.