Answer the Calling for Your Life by Earning a Master’s in Addiction Counseling Degree Online
Liberty University’s Master’s in Addiction Counseling degree online provides you with the education and training required for certification or licensure as an addiction counselor or substance abuse counselor. Our addiction counseling degree is designed to fulfill or exceed the requirements for many national and state board organizations. You will be provided with counseling tools and skills to work with individuals as they move towards recovery organically.
Earning an Addiction Counseling degree provides students with the ability and knowledge to become an addiction counselor or start a career in other substance abuse related fields. Students pursuing our graduate program in substance abuse counseling will have access to knowledgeable professors who have years of experience in the areas of substance abuse and addiction counseling. Graduates will have a mastery of knowledge of critical concepts in the substance abuse and addiction counseling fields, such as counseling techniques, treatment, and the recovery process.
Why Choose Liberty’s Addiction Counseling Degree?
Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Addiction Counseling degree encompasses enriching and challenging curriculum to empower students with the tools needed to succeed in the field of addiction counseling.
Those who choose our addiction counselor degree will:
- Have access to the nation’s largest private, nonprofit university’s resources
- Understand how to become an addiction counselor after finishing their degree.
- Learn at an accredited Christian University.
- Build upon core values, knowledge, and skills needed to serve as an addiction counselor and provide substance abuse counseling.
- Have increased job opportunities in the field of substance abuse counseling and addiction counseling.
- Have the ability to complete the Addiction Counseling degree in two years.
What Will You Learn in Our Addiction Counseling Degree Online?
Many students are wondering how to become an addiction counselor without leaving their full-time job. Liberty’s Addiction Counseling degree provides a convenient option to pursue your degree online without interrupting your busy lifestyle. You will learn pivotal skills such as assessment techniques and information you need in the field, such as details about the addiction and substance abuse recovery process.
Our Addiction Counseling degree program will allow you to obtain certification as a Certified Substance Abuse Counselor (CSAC). With 12 additional hours of coursework, this meets the requirements for licensure as a Licensed Substance Abuse Treatment Provider (LSATP) in Virginia.
Highlights of Liberty University’s Addiction Counseling Degree
- By earning your Addiction Counseling degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our Addiction Counseling degree has not increased in four straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You may also be interested in our Marriage and Family Therapy or Professional Counseling degrees
- Review our Internship and Background Check information.
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Course Syllabi (login required).
*Optional Intensives are available. Students without prior Addiction Counseling experience are encouraged by the School of Behavioral Sciences to consider taking these courses in the Intensive format.
Military Benefits for the Online Masters in Addiction Counseling
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for undergraduate (per credit hour)
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course).
- 8-week courses, eight different start dates each year and no set login times.
- Addiction Counselor
- Substance Abuse Counselor
- Clinical Case Manager
- Managed Care Specialist
- Mental Health Services
- Rehabilitation Counselor
Graduates will enter their field understanding how to become an addiction counselor and can seek exciting career opportunities counseling patients with a substance abuse addiction, working as a case manager, or other mental health professional.
Admission Requirements for Our Online MA in Addiction Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited Bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts; if not available, submit a transcript request form.**
Undergraduate Prerequisites: 3 credit hours in Statistics
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**All official transcripts must be received within 60 days of the admissions decision.