Contribute Your Musical Creations to the Modern Worship Scene with Liberty’s MA in Worship Studies – Songwriting
Are you passionate about leading worship in your congregation? Many beautiful worship songs, both old and new, are sung in today’s churches – but maybe you’d like to branch out and craft new songs that can help draw the people in your church closer to the Lord. If that sounds like you, Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts (MA) in Worship Studies – Songwriting can help!
Through this online songwriting degree, you can develop the technical, creative, and musical skills you need to expand the music options in your local church and in the broader Christian music industry. Additionally, you’ll be challenged to grow in your personal walk with Christ and gain an understanding of the biblical foundations of worship – so you can create music that is both pleasing to the ear and pleasing to the Lord.
Whether you are a seasoned worship leader or just getting started in this exciting field, our master’s degree in songwriting and worship studies can help equip you to make a difference – both now and in the future. Partner with us and prepare to use your knowledge, passion, and talents in service to God and others.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Songwriting?
At Liberty, we seek to Train Champions for Christ. We don’t just offer an education – we offer the training, mentorship, and tools you need to impact the world. By studying under our experienced faculty, you can gain valuable knowledge of best practices that challenge you to grow as a worship leader and songwriter.
Maybe you’ve been wanting to go back to school and earn your master’s degree, but you’re worried that classes will get in the way of your other commitments. If so, we have just what you need! Our 100% online courses are offered in mostly 8-week sections with 8 different start dates each year. At Liberty, you’ll have the freedom to complete your degree on your schedule and pursue your academic goals from the comfort of home.
When you partner with us for your MA in Worship Studies – Songwriting degree online, you won’t have to sacrifice quality for flexibility. Liberty is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Additionally, Liberty is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) – so you can rest assured that our programs have met rigorous academic standards.
What Will You Learn in Our MA in Worship Studies – Songwriter Program?
Our worship studies and songwriting master’s is broken down into 4 main parts: foundational courses, worship studies courses, songwriting classes, and courses that focus on practical worship skills. Together, these 4 sections are designed to provide you with a rigorous, well-rounded education that can help you thrive in your current role or pursue new opportunities.
Within the foundational studies courses, you’ll dive into the biblical foundations and principles of worship and ministry. You’ll also have the opportunity to mix and match courses in hermeneutics, the Psalms, and systematic theology. The worship studies section of this degree will provide deep insight into the history of worship music, the role of the worship leader, and methods for building a theology of worship.
By pursuing the songwriting specialization, you can become better equipped to compose songs and write lyrics that inspire your congregation and broaden the reach of your church’s music ministry. Specifically, you’ll study principles of worship technology and take 2 applied music courses designed to help strengthen your hands-on musical skills. For the applied music courses, you’ll meet with your professor once a week for a private songwriting lesson – giving you the opportunity to show your professor the songs you’ve written and receive coaching on how to improve your songwriting skills. From there, you’ll have the option to either complete a songwriting seminar or take a course in contemporary arranging techniques for worship.
Lastly, you will take worship courses designed to help you develop practical career skills. You’ll study tools and techniques for contemporary worship as well as current issues facing today’s worship leaders and congregations. In addition, you can select a course on 1 of the following topics: analytical techniques, music resources and literature, or global worship. With such a diverse array of course options, you can learn how to navigate the technical and relational aspects of worship – empowering you to build an effective music ministry in your church.
- WMUS 525 – Advanced Contemporary Arranging Techniques for Worship
- WMUS 526 – Songwriting Seminar*
- WMUS 630 – Principles of Worship Technology
- WRSP 520 – The Role of the Worship Leader
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our MA in Worship Studies – Online Songwriting Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years – and counting.
- Liberty University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
- You can complete our master’s in worship studies – songwriting degree program in as little as 1.5 years!
- As an online student, you’ll have the opportunity to network with music ministry professionals from across the country.
- Our worship studies and songwriting courses are offered 100% online.
Online Master’s Degree in Songwriting Information
- This program falls under the School of Music.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Music Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Worship Studies and Songwriting Master’s Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for Master’s in Songwriting and Worship Studies Graduates
- Worship leader
- Worship pastor
Admission Requirements for Our Worship Master’s Degree
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.