Pass on the Joy and Creativity of Music with an Online Master’s in Music Education Degree
Are you a professional musician looking to pass on your knowledge to others? Learn the skills you need for both classroom instruction and academic research with Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Music Education. If you have a bachelor’s degree in music, worship, music education, or a related degree, you can increase your teaching and musical skills through the master’s in music education online degree program.
Our online M.A. in Music Education prepares music teachers to enter the realm of education and teach music in various settings, most specifically in higher education settings. You can continue advancing your musical knowledge and skills while being trained to educate the next generation of musicians. The online format allows you to remain active in the field of music as you study advanced music techniques and performance tools. Additionally, our music education degree is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Music Education Online?
The online master’s in music education is one of the best music programs for students looking to transition from a music career to teaching. It is also a great choice for those wanting to expand their music education studies with advanced research. As an online student, you can remain active in your job, with your family, and in your community.
Our Master of Arts in Music Education online degree program will equip you with practical skills in teaching music theory, musicianship, vocal practice, conducting, music technology, and music cultural studies. Graduate music research and theoretical studies provide a strong foundation in academic research that will enhance student’s practice of education for K-12 teaching or college-level instruction. The final thesis or curriculum project will provide the opportunity to demonstrate your music education expertise while opening the door to pursue doctoral studies.
What Are the Benefits of an Online Master’s Degree in Music Education?
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects an 11% growth in employment of art, drama, and music teachers through 2024. This is a higher growth projection than most other occupations and shows an increase in demand for music teachers.*
- Completing a master’s degree in music education online provides the flexibility to complete your coursework from the comfort of your home and on your schedule.
- The online music master’s degree’s optional on-campus intensives give you the opportunity to network with professors and students as well as gain valuable hands-on experience.
- Your final thesis project or curriculum project can form the basis for doctoral research as well as stand as a valuable resource for music publishing and lesson creation.
- Joining Liberty’s music education program means joining one of the largest music schools in the nation.
What Will You Learn in our Master’s in Music Education Degree Program?
Our Master of Arts in Music Education online degree program consists of four areas of coursework:
- Foundational studies in music education
- Music studies
- Music education studies
- Research studies
In these various subject areas, you will learn more about analytical techniques of music, conducting, advanced contemporary arranging techniques, and the history and philosophy of music education in America.
Towards the end of your degree, you will choose to complete a thesis or curriculum project. Your previous courses will guide you through the process to develop an area of interest you want to research. The thesis will offer a chance to dig deeper into music education research in a specific topic of your choice.
The curriculum project will allow you to create a marketable product that could lead to publishing or new employment opportunities. With this well-rounded and robust program, you can prepare yourself to work in music education environments throughout the country.
- MUSC 650 – Research Methods in Music Education
Highlights of Our Online Master’s in Music Education Degree
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online M.A. in Music Education degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Refine your skills as a music teacher with advanced theory and music education techniques.
- Learn about new music industry trends to keep your students up to speed in a rapidly changing field.
- By earning a degree from a school of music accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM), you will be qualified for many exciting doctoral programs.
- You can complete our M.A. in Music Education degree in just 2 years!
- If you are looking for a ministry-focused master’s degree in worship or music, you may be interested in our Master of Arts in Music and Worship. For a culturally-focused music studies degree, you may be interested in the Master of Arts in Ethnomusicology.
Master’s in Music Education Online Information
- This program falls under the School of Music.
View the Degree Completion Plan for an official list of courses and a suggested course sequence.
View the Graduate Music Course Guides for more specific information about individual courses (login required).
- Online Database Resources: As one of the world’s leaders in distance education programs, Liberty University has the technological capacity and resources required in the music education program. This includes library database subscriptions to Groves, Smithsonian Global Sound, Garland Encyclopedia, Oxford Handbooks, JSTOR, and more.
You may choose to complete a thesis or curriculum project.
A Graduate Music Theory Assessment is required as a prerequisite for MUSC 524 – Analytical Techniques.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Potential Career Options for Online Music Degree Graduates
College music teacher
K-12 music teacher
Music education consultant
Director of community arts programs
Music curriculum developer
By completing the online master’s degree in music education you will be well equipped for a career as a music teacher in many settings. If you already have state licensure for teaching in a K-12 setting, you will find opportunities to teach music in public schools and private schools that require state licensure or be qualified for administrative roles for music programs.
Liberty University’s online music degree can open the door to many potential job opportunities, as well as prepare you for doctoral programs in music education. Job opportunities are expected to be opening in all occupations for musicians, especially within colleges and universities, and most postsecondary teachers require only a master’s degree related to the subject they teach. This M.A. in Music Education will prepare you to head into the workforce and make a difference in the lives of young musicians.
Admission Requirements for the M.A. in Music Education
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree in music, worship, music education, or a related field with a 3.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Teaching for a living, 2016 (viewed online July 11, 2019). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.