Study the Culture Behind the Music with a Master’s in Ethnomusicology
Are you fascinated with the music of the world? As an ethnomusicologist, you might travel to other areas and experience music in its native culture. Learning the language, culture, and folklore of other ethnicities is all part of the job. If this sounds interesting to you, Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Ethnomusicology online degree might be what you are looking for.
Our ethnomusicology program aims to provide a strong foundation in scholarship and research, non-Western music theory, and application of resources to the field. Ethnomusicology has become an important field of study in music education, music performance, and other areas of cross-cultural service.
Gaining a basic understanding of the music of another culture can be vital to establishing trust and a relationship with its people. Ethnomusicologists seek to not only study music from sound and historical perspectives but to look at the music within a culture. Liberty University’s online ethnomusicology degree is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) and offered 100% online. This program can equip musicians like you to pursue music careers in cross-cultural environments, education, and research.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s Degree in Ethnomusicology Online?
Our master’s in ethnomusicology online degree program is taught by trained musicians and ethnomusicologists with real-world experience in various cultural settings. Our professors have been in locations all over the world studying a broad range of music, teaching and equipping locals to produce music from their language and culture.
If you have an area of music that fascinates you, then this program will provide the vehicle you need to study it. From the music of Eastern Europe to the music of China and more, you will have the opportunity to go in the field and collect material related to your interest. This ethnomusicology online course provides the training that will give you the chance to spread knowledge of other cultures and bring the world together through music.
Our master’s in ethnomusicology program is offered completely online. This allows you to remain active in your job, with your family, and in your community without the worry of having to take courses on campus – all while you are being equipped to make a difference in the world!
What are the Benefits of Earning Our Master’s in Ethnomusicology Online?
- Increased career options in music professions
- An opportunity to be a part of one of the largest and continually growing music schools in the nation
- Compose music in the style of the people you serve
- A well-rounded education emphasizing research, performance, and application
- Opportunities to work in settings and cultures throughout the world
- Establish records for music history and promote the knowledge of world music
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s in Ethnomusicology Online Degree Program?
Your career goals are unique, so we designed an online ethnomusicology program that can be personalized. Our faculty has taught and worked in locations across the globe, and you will have the opportunity to gain foundational knowledge in ethnic music theory, anthropology, organology, and transcription from them.
The Society of Ethnomusicology defines ethnomusicology as the study of music in its social and cultural contexts. Liberty University wants you to be able to learn about the musical traditions and history of many types of music. Therefore, you will be able to complete 2 seminars in world music from the cultures of your choosing. Some examples of the seminars available are Native American, Middle Eastern, Indian, Eastern European, Indonesian, and more.
You will learn from our faculty’s vast years of experience to grow in practice and leadership in the field of ethnomusicology. This fascinating field can teach you how to reach other cultures at the heart of where they live.
Ethnomusicology Featured Courses
- ETHM 530 – Worship and Culture
Highlights of Our Master’s in Ethnomusicology Online Degree Program
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online ethnomusicology degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our Master of Arts in Ethnomusicology has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- This program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
- You can complete our graduate ethnomusicology program in as little as 2 years!
- This degree offers networking opportunities with other ethnomusicology online students from around the country.
Potential Career Options with an Ethnomusicology Degree
Many students enrolled in this degree are preparing themselves for work in a cross-cultural or multicultural environment as educators, recording engineers, global workers, or some other form of service in the field of music or cultural development.
There are many possibilities for intersecting the ethnomusicology degree with other areas of interest, and this program can be a way of getting one’s foot in the door for cross-cultural work as well as for the exciting process of understanding other cultures and their music.
A master’s degree in ethnomusicology can help prepare you for the following positions:
- Intercultural music outreach
- Music anthropology research
- Music director
- Music teacher
Master’s in Ethnomusicology Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Ethnomusicology Degree Online Program Information
- This program falls under the School of Music.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Music Course Guides (login required).
- Online Database Resources: As one of the world’s leaders in online education programs, Liberty University has the technological capacity and resources to provide for the unique needs required in the ethnomusicology program. This includes library database subscriptions to Groves, Smithsonian Global Sound, Garland Encyclopedia, Oxford Handbooks, and JSTOR, to name a few.
- Students taking ETHM 500 (Ethnic Music Theory) must meet 1 of the following prerequisites: MUSC 314, ETHM 411, or ETHM 511.
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with at 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Recommender Contact Information
- Statement of Purpose
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.