Our Master’s in Ethnomusicology Program is a Leader in Online Graduate Music Degrees
As multi-cultural issues continue to emerge worldwide, ethnomusicology has become an important field of study in music education, music performance, and other areas of cross-cultural service. Our Master’s in Ethnomusicology online degree program aims to provide a strong foundation in scholarship and research, non-Western music theory, and application of resources to the field. Acquisition of a basic understanding of the music of another culture can be vital to gaining access to its people. Liberty University’s Master’s in Ethnomusicology degree online is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) and offered 100% online. This program will equip musicians to pursue careers in music in cross-cultural environments.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s Degree in Ethnomusicology Online?
Our Master’s in Ethnomusicology online degree program is taught by trained musicians and ethnomusicologists with real-world experience in various cultural settings. These individuals have been in locations all over the world studying music, teaching, and equipping locals to produce music from their language and culture. Our Master’s in Ethnomusicology program is offered completely online, allowing you to remain active in your job, with your family, and in your community without the worry of having to take courses on campus – all while you are being equipped to make a difference in the world!
What are the Benefits of Our Master’s in Ethnomusicology Online?
Increased career options in music professions.
An opportunity to be a part of the seventh largest and continually growing music school in the nation.
- A well-rounded education emphasizing research, performance, and application.
- Opportunities to work in countries and cultures throughout the world.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s in Ethnomusicology Online Degree Program?
Our students’ career goals vary, and that is why our online ethnomusicology programs are such a great fit. Our faculty has taught and worked in locations across the globe, and you will have the opportunity to gain foundational knowledge in ethnic music theory, anthropology, organology, and transcription, as well as take seminars in the world music of particular cultures throughout the world, such as Native American and Indonesian. You will learn from the faculty’s vast years of experience, combined with their knowledge, to grow in practice and leadership in the field of ethnomusicology.
Ethnomusicology Featured Courses
Highlights of our Master’s in Ethnomusicology Online Degree Program
By earning your Master’s degree in Ethnomusicology from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our Master’s degree in Ethnomusicology has not increased in four straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- This program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
- You can complete our graduate Ethnomusicology program in under two years!
- This degree offers networking opportunities with other Ethnomusicology online students from around the country.
Potential Career Options with an Ethnomusicology Degree
Though not a requirement for admission, most students enrolled in the degree are preparing themselves for work in a cross-cultural or multi-cultural environment as educators, recording engineers, global workers, or some other form of service in the field of music or cultural development. The possibilities of intersecting the ethnomusicology degree with other areas of interest are excellent, and this program can be a way of getting one’s foot in the door for cross-cultural work, as well as for the exciting process of understanding other cultures and those cultures’ music better.
- Intercultural Music Outreach
- Music Teaching
- Music Anthropology Research
Master’s in Ethnomusicology Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate students (per credit hour)
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course).
- Eight-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times.
Ethnomusicology Degree Online Program Information
- This program falls under the School of Music.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Course Syllabi (login required).
- Online Database Resources: One of the world’s leaders in distance educational programs, Liberty University has the technological capacity and resources to provide for the unique needs required in the ethnomusicology program including library database subscriptions to Groves, Smithsonian Global Sound, Garland Encyclopedia, Oxford Handbooks, and JSTOR, to name a few.
- Students taking ETHM 500 (Ethnic Music Theory) must meet one of three prerequisites: MUSC 314, ETHM 411, or ETHM 511.
Liberty University is approved by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The Online Master of Arts in Ethnomusicology is accredited by the National Association of Schools and Music (NASM).
A regionally or nationally accredited Bachelor’s degree with at 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Recommender Contact Information
- Statement of Purpose
- Unofficial college transcripts and submit a transcript request form.**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.