Become a Leader in the Music Industry with a Master’s in Ethnomusicology
As multi-cultural issues continue to emerge worldwide, ethnomusicology has become an important field of study in music education, music performance, and other areas of cross-cultural service. Our Master of Arts in Ethnomusicology online degree program aims to provide a strong foundation in scholarship and research, non-Western music theory, and application of resources to the field. The acquisition of a basic understanding of the music of another culture can be vital to gaining trust and a relationship with its people.
Liberty University’s master’s in ethnomusicology degree online is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) and offered 100% online. This program can equip musicians like you to pursue music careers in cross-cultural environments.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s Degree in Ethnomusicology Online?
Our master’s in ethnomusicology online degree program is taught by trained musicians and ethnomusicologists with real-world experience in various cultural settings. Our professors have been in locations all over the world studying music, teaching, and equipping locals to produce music from their language and culture.
Our master’s in ethnomusicology program is offered completely online, allowing you to remain active in your job, with your family, and in your community without the worry of having to take courses on campus – all while you are being equipped to make a difference in the world!
What are the Benefits of Earning Our Master’s in Ethnomusicology Online?
Increased career options in music professions
An opportunity to be a part of the seventh-largest and continually growing music school in the nation
- A well-rounded education emphasizing research, performance, and application
- Opportunities to work in settings and cultures throughout the world
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s in Ethnomusicology Online Degree Program?
Your career goals are unique, so we designed an online ethnomusicology program that can be personalized. Our faculty has taught and worked in locations across the globe, and you will have the opportunity to gain foundational knowledge in ethnic music theory, anthropology, organology, and transcription from them.
You will also be able to complete two seminars in world music from cultures of your choosing, such as Native American or Indonesian culture. You will learn from our faculty’s vast years of experience to grow in practice and leadership in the field of ethnomusicology.
Ethnomusicology Featured Courses
ETHM 513 – Anthropology of Music*
- ETHM 530 – Worship and Culture
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our Master’s in Ethnomusicology Online Degree Program
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our Master of Arts in Ethnomusicology has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- This program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
- You can complete our graduate ethnomusicology program in as little as 2 years!
- This degree offers networking opportunities with other ethnomusicology online students from around the country.
Potential Career Options with an Ethnomusicology Degree
Many students enrolled in this degree are preparing themselves for work in a cross-cultural or multicultural environment as educators, recording engineers, global workers, or some other form of service in the field of music or cultural development.
There are many possibilities for intersecting the ethnomusicology degree with other areas of interest, and this program can be a way of getting one’s foot in the door for cross-cultural work as well as for the exciting process of understanding other cultures and their music.
A master’s degree in ethnomusicology can help prepare you for positions in:
- Intercultural music outreach
- Music anthropology research
- Music teaching
Master’s in Ethnomusicology Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Ethnomusicology Degree Online Program Information
- This program falls under the School of Music.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Music Course Guides (login required).
- Online Database Resources: As one of the world’s leaders in distance education programs, Liberty University has the technological capacity and resources to provide for the unique needs required in the ethnomusicology program, including library database subscriptions to Groves, Smithsonian Global Sound, Garland Encyclopedia, Oxford Handbooks, and JSTOR, to name a few.
- Students taking ETHM 500 (Ethnic Music Theory) must meet 1 of the following prerequisites: MUSC 314, ETHM 411, or ETHM 511.
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with at 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Recommender Contact Information
- Statement of Purpose
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.