Enhance Your Church’s Music Ministry by Earning an Online Worship Music Master’s Degree
Are you a music professional looking to hone your skills? Do you want to serve as a worship pastor or leader in your church? Are you passionate about exploring the biblical basis for worship?
If so, Liberty’s online M.A. in Music and Worship – Worship Music Studies degree is for you! In this program, you’ll develop the expertise needed to help strengthen your church’s music ministry. Upon graduation, you’ll be ready to excel in a variety of music and worship contexts within the evangelical community.
Worship leaders need thorough training in music studies. Additionally, they need to understand why their work is important and how it is informed by a biblical perspective. Our Christian worship music online program offers training in all of these areas. By earning this NASM-accredited degree, you can enrich your own musical knowledge and skills and learn how to train up others to serve as worship leaders.
Partner with us and get the music and worship training you need to help your ministry thrive!
How long does it take to earn a master’s in music and worship?
At Liberty, you can complete your M.A. in Music and Worship in just 2 years. We offer a fast, flexible path to graduation that lets you earn your degree without putting your life on hold.
Which worship master’s program should I pursue?
Liberty offers 2 online worship master’s degrees — the M.A. in Music and Worship and the M.A. in Worship Studies. What is the difference between these degrees, and which one is best for you? That depends on your previous training and long-term goals.
If you don’t have formal music training at the bachelor’s level, consider earning a master’s in worship studies. This is a non-music program designed to help you apply worship theory to your local church. You’ll explore various research methods and gain an understanding of biblical and theological competencies in worship.
If you have a bachelor’s degree in music or a related field, then our master’s in music and worship may be right for you! This vocational degree seeks to equip and train skilled musicians as worship pastors and leaders. In addition to exploring the biblical and philosophical basis for worship, you’ll receive practical music training and enhance your musical expertise.
Liberty University’s online music degrees are all designed to equip you for success — and you can choose the program that best matches your unique interests and career goals!
What are the responsibilities of a worship pastor?
Worship pastors need a firm foundation in biblical doctrine, musical training, and leadership skills. As a worship pastor, you can design engaging worship experiences that bring glory to God and point people to Christ.
You may assemble worship teams, train and equip worship volunteers and staff, select songs to be played during church services, lead weekly rehearsals, and lead congregational worship during services, among other duties. Additionally, you may be responsible for ministering to those in your congregation and church music team.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Worship Degree Program?
Liberty’s worship leadership program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM). You can be confident that your degree will be a valuable, industry-recognized credential.
In this program, you won’t just receive musical training — you’ll analyze music and worship from a biblical perspective. That way, you can boost your effectiveness as a worship leader and design worship experiences that are rooted in Scripture and biblical truth.
Earn a degree that fits your schedule. This program is available 100% online, and the classes have no set login times. You can complete your coursework on your own time and stay invested in the things that really matter — like your family, church, and career — while achieving your academic goals.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Worship Music Courses?
Our online M.A. in Music and Worship will help strengthen your musical ability, leadership potential, biblical commitment, and understanding of the worship industry. With this knowledge, you can use your passion and skills to glorify God and impact lives for Christ.
As a music and worship student at Liberty, you will analyze different styles of music and learn how to incorporate creative themes in worship. Some of the topics you’ll study include the dynamics of corporate worship, the role of the worship leader, principles of leadership, and current issues in worship. Our program will help you understand the performance and leadership aspects of worship, so you can oversee an effective music ministry.
Our music studies courses provide advanced training in conducting, modern worship techniques, worship literature, music resources, and worship technology. You’ll also analyze the historical, philosophical, and biblical foundations of worship. Upon graduation, you’ll be equipped to lead a team of worship volunteers with diverse musical preferences, skill levels, and ministry experiences.
Toward the end of the program, you will complete a thesis, internship, recital, or project. By picking the track that best fits your needs, you can be fully equipped to serve in your chosen area of music ministry. The program will conclude with an exam to test your overall knowledge and ability in music and worship.
- WMUS 525 – Advanced Contemporary Arranging Techniques for Worship
- WMUS 600 – Music Resources and Literature for Worship Leading
- WMUS 670 – Principles of Music and Worship Pedagogy
- WRSP 635 – Building a Theology of Worship
Highlights of Liberty’s Online Worship Music Program
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online Master of Arts in Worship and Music degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years — and counting.
- Liberty is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Liberty University’s worship program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
- Our master’s in worship ministry is offered in a 100% online, 8-week course format.
Master’s in Music and Worship Arts Degree Information
- The master’s in church music degree online falls under Liberty’s School of Music.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this master’s in music online degree.
- View the Graduate Music Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for the Music and Worship Master’s Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Potential Careers for Graduates with a Worship and Music Ministry Degree
By earning our worship ministry degree online, you could qualify for the following roles:
- Christian music artist
- Church musician
- Director of worship and drama
- Director of worship technology
- Minister of music
- Music and worship evangelist
- Worship leader
- Worship pastor
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Online Worship Leader Degree
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree in music, worship, music education, or a related field with a 3.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.